Operation Flashpoint 2 confirmed for 360 and PS3 this summer, movie released

Thursday, 19th February 2009 14:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

operationflashpoint22

Codemasters just confirmed that Operation Flashpoint 2 will get 360 and PS3 versions this summer.

The game, built on Codemasters’ EGO engine, was previously only announced for PC.

The publisher’s gone to town on the multiplay war sim’s underlying tech in a press release this afternoon, saying the game is like nothing seen before.

“The advantage of investing in our own technology is that we can custom-build major engine components specifically suited to each title; such as dynamically lit particle effects for gunfire and explosions, incredible vehicle detail and extensive worlds that you can literally get lost in,” said Brant Nicholas, senior producer.

There’s a new video here.

1. G1GAHURTZ

If it’s going to take me a 10 minute walk just to get to a place where there’s finally someone to shoot at, I’m not interested.

2. Rock_Me_Amadeus

Quite fancy this, never played the original but didn’t it get ‘mad props’ from the hardcore?

3. SplatteredHouse

This could be off the chart, if they’ve retained the gameplay style of the first game, with the vast battlefields that are part of Flashpoint, online teamplay, they just need to successfully work the console interface and then…. *wipes away drool*

Story of the Day, no contest!

4. DaMan

the first one was TOO realistic lol.

5. pleasant_cabbage

Take a chopper then ;)

Yeah. The old ghost recons on the original xbox had that problem a little. Team survivor etc. could be an exercise in aimless wandering (followed by insta death).

6. G1GAHURTZ

lol. Yeah, I remember being a passenger in a chopper once at the start of a mission, waiting ages for the pilot to fly to the right place.

It was all going according to plan until he crashed the chopper!

There was about 6 of us in there…

“Oops, sorry chaps. Start again then?”

I’m much to run and gun for all these open spaces.

7. Patrick Garratt

I’d watch that video. It looks crackers.

8. Whizzo

The original Flashpoint is probably my most played PC game ever. I spent hundreds of hours in the multiplayer, there’s absolutely nothing like flying a chopper into battle, dropping your mates off and then providing support from the air for greatness.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Hmmm… Looks interesting after seeing the video.

Similar visual style to Bad Company.

10. Yoshi

If your a run n gun kinda guy this is really not for you.
    Its all about tactics = this game *HOPFULLY* will rule lol

I reallllllyy hope its co-op i cant remember if the other 1 was i know it was online though ^^

Plus this game must be good, becos they used it in the army at 1 point.

11. G1GAHURTZ

“But if you complain becos this isnt run and gun maybe you should try goin to war these days lol, no1 runs n guns.”

Yeah, I know… They fire thousands of missiles from thousands of miles away, and don’t send troops in until practically everyone is already dead.

But seriously, I know what it’s like because I’ve played the first one before. I’m just not good at waiting for the action in any game, that’s all.

12. Harry

It’s games like this that keep me working in games, most of the wank games we have to deal with are made for idiots but OpFlash was a man’s game.

I played the original so much it was frightening. Even got into mission design and spent ages scripting silly little moments of no importance.

13. Yoshi

I just watched the video and i think its safe to say this game is only ment to be played with a mouse and keyboard lol

14. SplatteredHouse

Which video did you watch? Go back and watch the EGOTech clip, and you can see an order interface appears that would correspond seamlessly to console control sticks.

15. Whizzo

“Operation Flashpoint:Elite” worked fine on the original Xbox. The editor was a pain in the arse though and was really cut down in what it could do in comparison to the PC version, not just from the lack of mods obviously but unit limits and the fact you couldn’t use scripts.

16. Yoshi

Actually that order interface would/could be like the 1 which battlefield 2 has where you press q which i like alot lol.