WipEout innovator Designers Republic shut down

Tuesday, 27th January 2009 07:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wipeouthda3.jpg

Designers Republic, the firm responsible for the original look at feel of the WipEout franchise, has closed.

A story on design mag Creative Review’s blog confirms the closure, quoting founder Ian Anderson as saying: “We’d lost a couple of clients, didn’t win a couple of pitches, got a tax bill which should have been sorted out and wasn’t and a major client who didn’t pay the money they owed us – in themselves any of those things would have been fine but when they come all at once there’s not much you can do.”

The studio’s nine staff have all been made redundant. Anderson’s vowed to return, however.

Thanks, Develop.

1. Tonka

Their name is The Designers Republic btw.
    I remember back in the 90′s when I as a young web designer used to drool over their heavily kerned Helvetica.

(Or whatever, I quickly changed track and became a developer instead)

Aaaaaaaaaaanyways… To absent friends and the seasons of mist.

2. ecu

WTF. :(

These guys are the reason I got in to graphic design. I did a presentation on them last year explaining why they were such a huge influence on me, and also wrong a paper on what impact they’ve had on the industry. Gutted. :(

3. mart

Same here. Well gutted :(

4. Tonka

You guys are born in the late 70′s early 80′s aicmfp

5. Michael O'Connor

“You guys are born in the late 70’s early 80’s aicmfp”

Most gamers were.

6. Mike

Most “real” gamers were. :P

7. Blerk

Apart from those of us who were born in the early 70s. :-)

8. Mike

´75 here. So I’m firmly in the “mid-70s” camp.

9. Tonka

Blerk has never heard of The Designers Republic until this day aicmfp.
    /gets the Houdinin money

10. Blerk

I’ll admit to never having heard of them prior to Wipeout. :-)

11. ecu