Home connections horrors due to “overwhelming demand,” says Sony

Friday, 12th December 2008 21:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

homea71.jpg

Sony’s officially recognised that many users are unable to connect to PlayStation Home, releasing a short message on the PS Blog saying it’s working on fixes.

“We are aware that some people may be experiencing difficulty in accessing the PlayStation Home beta at present,” said SCEA corporate comms boss Patrick Seybold.

“This is due to overwhelming demand for the service as people access Home for the very first time since it became Open Beta and appeared on the XMB.

“While we prepare solutions to ease the problem, you may continue to experience difficulties accessing Home. We kindly ask for your patience as we work to meet the incredible demand for this revolutionary service.”

For many, Home is like looking at candy through the sweetshop window: connection error messages have been an intrinsic part of Home’s launch so far.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear…

I wonder exactly how many people they were expecting to use this “revolutionary service”!?

And you thought the 360 had online problems last year… Just wait until xmas!

2. Cort

WTF? Live costs money and wasn’t in Beta last xmas !!!!!!!

3. Esha

Demand is always a killer, in any scenario. A company can proof against this as much as they like, but until the flow of people evens out so not everyone is trying to access the bally thing at the same time, they won’t be able to accomplish much.

It’s happened to a number of online services, big MMOs too, it happened to Warcraft (and that ended up with queues), and apparently it happened to the 360 at some point (I wasn’t ware of that). It even happens to Zero Punctuation every Thursday at about 5PM GMT, and doesn’t ease up until later.

If there’s ever a service launched that magically works right away for everyone that tries to connect, it’ll be a hallmark and one for the history books.

4. Cort

Yes, but Sony are PURE EVIL / INCOMPETENT / PLAGIARISTS *

* delete to taste

5. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

It happened with LIVE when there were about 3 million people trying to play Halo 3 and COD4 at exactly the same time! Plus all the rest of the people playing other games…

Somehow I doubt that that Sony is looking at anywhere near these numbers here.

Especially as the thing is region locked.

6. Gekidami

Shouldnt have happened atall though from a paying service ;)

7. G1GAHURTZ

True.

Which is why they gave eveyone a free XBLA game as compensation.

8. Gekidami

The least they could do to calm the masses.

9. woodyrulesok

i still haven’t managed to get in, still getting network error c-931.
    been trying for over 24hours now :-(

10. Quiiick

Yesterday evening was fine (dec. 11) but tonight I only get the c-931 error. :(

Listen Sony, this is terrible! You had enough time to prepare for this.
    Shame on you!

11. Len

Try using another acc.

I can’t get on with my UK one but as soon as I switch to my US one it’s fine.

Worth a try…

12. Syrok

Yep, that’s how I got one this morning. Switched to my Dutch account, got on with that and then switched back to my standard account, which then logged on immediately.

13. Quiiick

I’m definitely not going to create a second PSN account just to be able to log into “home”.

This launch is a bloody PR mess. Sony needs to iron this out, ASAP.

14. Syrok

It’s not working anyway. :)

15. theevilaires

syroc we all wish you weren’t working

16. Syrok

Oh, hey! You are back!

17. theevilaires

you could have simply just said you’re

18. Syrok

I could have, but I wanted to emphasis it.

19. theevilaires

so stroc i hear you were in the close beta as was i, and i hear you have nothing but negative things to say.Oh sy grow up,if you were a online network people would just shit on you all day….like i will :)

20. morriss

tu madre es tan puta que no cobra dinero por culear

21. Syrok

I don’t really get the last sentence, but that’s okay.
    Edit: Obviously I didn’t mean morriss comment, which is as far as I know completely correct.

22. Smartypants

¿Donde esta el baño?

23. theevilaires

lol tagteam fags… hey guys i apologize its friday night and i have a life so im going to have to take a rain check… btw nice comeback moron you made me smirk. see you on monday losers! HAPPY HOLIDAYS

24. morriss

Puta.

25. wickedman

HEY!!portence bien cabrones,no hay necesidad de esto,pero lo de su madre a ella en donde la encuentro? :-)

26. Doomsayer

Donde esta mi Tequilla?

27. morriss

Ariba!!

28. Shak_0

This sucks, I don’t even WANT Home. All I want to do is sign into PSN so that I can play LBP. But for some reason, it times out or something.

29. Len

@Quiiick miles back.

If you don’t want to create another acc for Home which is understandable (I mean it takes such a long time) then just do it for the early/extra/diff dl content from different regions.

Or not… ;o)

30. Quiiick

@ Len
    I’m perfectly happy with the content my native store provides.
    I’m not a hardcore-gamer who MUST play everything “available”.

31. Squa11

@G1GAHURTZ
    I actually hated when they gave Undertow for free because I bought it for 800 MSP 2 days earlier :(

32. Psychotext

It’s useless to you now… but if you paid for Undertow you could have just called them and got another 800pt game for free. :P

33. morriss

:D

34. Squa11

@Psychotext bah! I hate this digital download system!