51% of Tomb Raider: Underworld sales go to PS3

Tuesday, 25th November 2008 11:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

tombraiderunderworld9.jpg

According to this MCV report, Chart-Track’s confirmed that 51 percent of all UK Tomb Raider: Underworld sales in Britain last week.

The title entered this week’s GFK-ChartTrack/ELSPA All Formats Top 40 at No.9, outselling the launch of last year’s original Tomb Raider remake (Tomb Raider: Anniversary) by 6,700 units.

1. JonFE

Either x360 users are busy playing GoW2 or Microsoft’s effort for exclusive download episode didn’t come across as intended.

2. Blerk

It was the PS3′s biggest release last week, and most people still associate the franchise with the Playstation brand so that probably counts for a lot.

Much more competition on the 360 front – CoD:WaW and Gears are still selling like bally-ho, and there was Left 4 Dead to content with too.

3. deftangel

Not surprising at all given the content released on 360 these past weeks, I’m still struggling to get more LittleBigPlanet in. Guess it must be a slow news day over at GI :)

4. Robo_1

Personally I think this is good news, simply because it shows that exclusive DLC isn’t much of a selling point. Hopefully this will trigger a winding down of this sort of tactic, and they can keep both versions of the game with the same content.

5. Blerk

Or next time they’ll do the exclusive content for the PS3 version.

6. Robo_1

But that’s the point, no need, they’ve got the sales without dangling a DLC shaped carrot in front of consumers. Sony aren’t going to pay for it if they’re getting most sales anyway, and MS aren’t going to fork out if it doesn’t alter their sales figures.

7. Blerk

Yeah, but the users will pay for it. The DLC isn’t free.

8. Robo_1

If you’re looking at it from the developers point of view though, why restrict it to one platform at all? I think these sales figures will tempt the platform holders away from funding exclusive DLC, and I don’t see much of an incentive for publishers to do it off their own back.

9. Esha

“[...] simply because it shows that exclusive DLC isn’t much of a selling point.”

Are you sure?

I’m hoping that a slightly altered quote is the case:

“[...] simply because it shows that DLC isn’t much of a selling point.”

It could just be that there are people out there who’re sensible enough to ignore something that’s 10 times the cost for a tenth of the content, yes? Perhaps it indicates a general understanding of the true nature of DLC: that probably half the time it’s going to be content that would’ve made it into the original game (or into a free patch), if the game had been released before DLC was conceptualised. Perhaps it shows that DLC isn’t doing well enough for people to take notice of any exclusivity as far as DLC is concerned.

That may not be the case, but it restores some of my faith in humanity if it is. It’s nice to think that we’re not all mindless money-sheep who can be sheared without nary a “Bah!”. It’s possible that not everyone’s going to buy into this nickle-and-diming, and that I need not preach as much as I do about fools and their money.

It’s a pleasant thought, anyway, that DLC (period) may hold say over the minority, not the majority.

10. Harry

I don’t think this is particularly great news. I think all it is showing is that a game expected to sell well across several formats isn’t doing so. The publisher probably expected such sales of the PS3 version, but with even more on X360. And it’s not happening.

11. Blerk

I think what you’d probably find is that 95% of the purchasers didn’t actually know about the DLC anyway. I’m guessing it’s not written on the box.

12. Shatner

I think this is a story about more about Tomb Raider sales than hardware dominance but this, more than any other generation, “gamers” seem to care more for unplayable silicon than anything else.

As for DLC, I notice that Croft Manor (we see it blazing in the Underworld trailers) isn’t a separate playable area like it has been in the other couple of titles. My guess is that this would make it prime material for DLC. Additionally, it exists outside of any of the game story so there’s no need to justify its existence.

13. Blerk

I can’t imagine I’d ever pay extra to play Croft Manor. Again.