Colin McRae: DiRT 2 announced, first shots, interview

Wednesday, 19th November 2008 20:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dirt2.jpg

Codemasters has announced Colin McRae: DiRT 2 for Xbox 360, PC, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP in 2009.

According to this IGN report, “Exploring various disciplines of off-road racing, Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will utilise an enhanced version of the EGO engine that was last seen in the impressive looking GRID, and will feature comprehensive online modes that promise to be a marked improvement over those in the original.”

There’s an interview with long-time McRae dev lead Gavin Raeburn elsewhere on IGN, as well as the first screens.

1. mightyhokie

Don’t know how they could top DiRT. It was a fantastic game. Still, I hope they do! =D

2. airdom

They are not really going to use the guy’s name in the game right? the first game wasnt Colin McRae: DiRT…it was just DIRT. the poor guy is dead.

3. Whizzo

The first game was Colin McRae:DiRT in Europe (possibly elsewhere) where we know who Colin was, it would be a bit odd to keep using the name though.

4. wz

Yeah, I was a bit wtf’ed by the name too. I really liked DiRT (though I liked Sega Rally even more, funny me).

5. airdom

well from what i remember, in North America, the game was just called DiRT.

6. mightyhokie

Yep, you are right airdom. While it was called DiRT here in the US, Colin’s name was all over the manual and whatnot. Jeremy McGrath mentioned it a bit too, if i recall correctly (been a while since i have played it).

Speaking of, I’ve never been to England. Tell me, are the streets in the back country that skinny? In the game you had about four inches on each side of your car! =>

7. Syrok

@mighty: There are very narrow streets. With hedges on both sides so you can’t see anything coming around the corner. :)

And a way to improve the game: Make the steering more realistic. Cars don’t turn in the middle.