Kim: NXE will tranform Live into “social and entertainment network”

Tuesday, 18th November 2008 20:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nxe121.jpg

Xbox boss Shane Kim’s told Forbes that tomorrow’s NXE launch heralds a major step in a journey from Xbox Live as was to a Facebook-esque networking tool.

New Xbox Experience is “a big part of [Live's] transformation from a multiplayer matchmaking service to a social and entertainment network,” he said, adding that “Microsoft will be “investing more in social networking capabilities.”

Kim also claimed that NXE is a signal that Microsoft is trying to “tap into is the growth of social networking and the disruption in the media industry.”

NXE, the major Xbox 360 UI revamp, is about to kick off. Ready?

1. Esha

Facebook? Avatars? Web 2.0 buzz-words?

Live + Facebook + Avatars + Web 2.0?!

The above = … well, I’ll let everyone figure out this equation for themselves.

But basically, whatever the XBox was trying to build a reptution as, that motivation has clearly changed.

2. patlike

It’s their big “broadening” push. I haven’t really heard a bad word said about NXE from beta people so far.

3. Johnny Cullen

Looks like Sony’s gonna spoil the party with Home but not tomorrow.

Your welcome :D

4. patlike

Was already writing it :D

5. mortiferus

@Johnny Cullen “Looks like Sony’s gonna spoil the party with Home”.

From having seen the many demos and videos, ahhmm I would say that Sony would be best served by waiting for the NXE launch to subside before passing out that turd.

As far as NXE, I got the update this morning (I signed up for the beta), man it is fucking great! Browsing is wicked fast, it features much better organization and I really think that it does everything a dashboard/HUD needs and does it right.

Also, the friends & community feature put it way ahead of Sony. And as they keep saying it is only the beginning…

6. XDamage

I must say I’m rather intrigued by this whole NXE thing. Currently I only own a PS3, but I think I will get a 360 for christmas also.

Microsoft has done something very right if they can get someone like me to buy their console. :D

7. airdom

i hope it’s only the beginning, because as of friday, i’m really enjoying nxe :) looks very good and is very functional!

8. Cort

Will this mean that XBoxers will stop accusing Sony of not knowing whether the PS3 is a games machine or a home entertainment device? Looks like MS think the future of the 360 belongs in being able to amend your status from “Kill_Em_All is: reading the latest Sophie Kinsella!” to “Kill_Em_All is: going out with my friends 2nite!”.

And most of the 360 owners I know bought one for Halo and Gears; they’re simply ecstatic about being asked to create an avatar which looks like a flouncing mincer, and being able to use their console as a substitute for FaceBook and Bebo*. At least Home is optional.

* this may be partially false.

9. ruckus

Well I just had a quick chat with George and Mike and they said it makes sod all difference – their attacks are valid and thought you were playing it down a little, like it’s just them that are saying it. Apparently plenty of current contenders also share their views and are just calling it as they see it and will continue to do so.

10. mightyhokie

I’m stoked. I was playing Fallout 3 last night and at half-past midnight I restarted my 360 hoping to get the NXE but it didn’t happen. I’m really excited about it.

As for Sony waiting until the NXE stuff is finished I agree that they would be best served to wait. If they offered it today and it screwed up or needed some patch or bricked PS3′s like some of their other updates…well, lets just say not good.

You know, you have to hand it to Microsoft. The 360 is a fantastic system (even with the RROD issues they had earlier) and they bring us great games and now are poised to change the face of gaming again. They really seem like they give a shit. I’m proud to have a 360. I have a PS3 too but to be honest it is only a Blu-Ray player.

11. Tonka

I’m impressed by how bloody quick and easy it was to get it. MS must have rented the entire internet.

Well done!