Our future projects “will surprise people,” says Rare

Monday, 17th November 2008 22:03 GMT By Mike

rarelogo.jpg

Speaking in a GI interview to be published in its entirety tomorrow, Rare studio manager Mark Betteriedge has said the company’s future projects won’t be what people expect.

“It’s more about what we will do to change conventional thinking of games and entertainment,” said Betteriedge in response to a question on the firm’s future.

“I don’t see us fighting the same battles as everybody else, I think some of the products we’ll do going forward will surprise a lot of people, both in terms of what they are and the different styles. I think that will be good.”

More through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. DaMan

I don’t think it will be good.

You’re irrelevant these days, Rare.

2. morriss

Who’s relevant, then?

3. DaMan

certainly not their new Perfect Dark and this BK shit.

4. Psychotext

Funny really… I loved VP1 & VP2, enjoyed Kameo and am currently really enjoying BK:N&B (Too early to pass final judgement on that though).

As a fan of their games though I really wish they’d just take on something more mainstream, if just to ensure their survival.

5. morriss

I’ll ask again: who’s relevant?

6. Psychotext

Well, in terms of sales I’d guess a lot of other people. :)

7. DaMan

their new games aren’t even comparable with what they did in the past.

right.. PDZ was a try on mainstream.

who’s relevant? SquareEnix are, Epic games are. LBP is quite relevant as well.

8. Shatner

It’s not about who is or isn’t relevant. It’s about who’s qualified.

9. DaMan

they aren’t that qualified either.

10. morriss

Psycho: In terms of relevance to MS, considering they pretty much designed NXE, I’d say they were pretty relevant.

11. Psychotext

Qualified DaMan? No-one knows their way around 360 hardware like Rare do. There’s a reason they get credited on so many 360 games… and it’s not because they’re good at delivering Pizza.

12. DaMan

I said they aren’t THAT qualified. like, Epic.

and you can know your way around hardware, that doesn’t mean your games are necessarily as much fun.

13. morriss

Epic was the easy one. Who else?

14. DaMan

haha.

any dev that kicks ass is an easy one then.

15. morriss

Just answer the question.

IF YOU DARE!!!

*thunderclap*

16. Psychotext

You’re right… but what are we talking about here. Qualified to make fun games? That’s down to the opinion of the player obviously. They clearly know how to make the most of the hardware though.

17. DaMan

I’ve basically answered your question, morriss.

well, it’s not like Rare have John Carmack, and it’s not like 360 is that hard to develop for..

show me someone who didn’t like PD on N64. that game was fun, and that wasn’t opinionated. their recent games are questionable.

18. morriss

You haven’t. You offered up your taste in games. Nothing else.

19. Psychotext

DaMan… yet Kameo, VP and Banjo could easily find a place in the top 10 best looking games on the system.

All that, and without John Carmack. Astounding!

20. Smartypants

PDZ was crap. Really awful. BK:N&B is good fun though!

21. DaMan

morriss, you are hillarious. no matter what your taste in games is, Epic make great games. it has nothing to do with anyones preferences.

on the other hand, Rare are irrelevant and their games are mediocre at best anyway.

I won’t deny they look good. but 360 is easy to develop for, and visuals in their games aren’t anything revolutionary anyway.

22. morriss

Right. Lets say I love Rare’s games and don’t like Epic’s. Just for fun, like. What then?

23. Gekidami

Then your tastes in games is offcially deemed: ‘poor’.

24. G1GAHURTZ

Does that mean that if Rare make the next Unreal Tournament and Epic make the next Killer Instinct, that you would like/dislike each game based on who made it?

25. DrDamn

I’d love to see them step out side the bright primary colour style. Not to go realistic but more stylised and less predictable.

26. DaMan

morriss,
    you seem to misunderstand me.. if you like tps, GoW is fantastic, but VP or BK aren’t anything spectacular anyway. PDZ was utter shit. Kameo is debatable, and it was being developed for ages. wow, one relatively good game, and it took them god knows how much time to make it..

do you know why they didn’t resurrect Killer Instinct? because they would fail at making it these days.

don’t forget that the founders of Rare left last year, and this doesn’t mean a very good future for this company.

27. patlike

Do you know what I love? Shaun White Snowboarding. What a great game that is.

28. XDamage

Lol. Nothing like getting paid huh? :D

29. patlike

Sorry, what was that? Tom Clancy’s EndWar, did you say?

30. XDamage

Oh my God! They lobotomized you, didn’t they! Pat, are you in there?! :)

31. morriss

Enter a snowboarding world of total freedom. You can create your own experience in SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOADING, and choose, when, where, how, and with whom you want to ride.

32. XDamage

Holy shit, this is getting scary. I’m outta here!

33. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve just decided that I’m going to make a point of never buying either of those games (snowboarding and endwar), purely based on those offensive banner ads.

Ha!

Now they’ve backfired!

34. Smartypants

I still can’t believe how crap PDZ was