New study shows gamers aren’t fat, sex-starved, reptilious little nerds after all

Friday, 24th October 2008 10:23 GMT By Mike

Results of an IGN Entertainment and Ipsos MediaCT quantitative study of US gamers entitled “Are You Game?” has revealed that the old stereotype of people who play videogames being more akin with other, more disgusting life-forms than human, simply doesn’t hold water any more.

The study showed that:

• 55 percent of gamers polled were married, 48 percent have kids, and new gamers – those who have started playing videogames in the past two years—are 32 years old on average
  • More than 47 percent of people living in gaming households saying that videogames were a fun way to interact with other family members
  • Gamers are 13 percent more likely to go out to a movie, 11 percent more likely to play sports, and 9 percent more likely to go out with friends than nongamers
  • Gamers are twice as likely to go out on dates as nongamers in a given month

Arstechnica has loads more proof that you’re actually well adjusted and completely normal for living on cereal and not leaving your bedroom for three days, if you’re interested.

By Mike Bowden

1. MesserWolf

no way !!

lool :D

2. BillyBatts

Leave it out. Have a gander at the attendees of your average game show and tell me again that gamers aren’t geeky.

Embrace nerdiness!

3. Psychotext

People who visit game conventions really aren’t average gamers. Hell, I’m a hardcore gamer and I wouldn’t go to one.

4. Truk

Quite.

5. BraveArse

I’ve not really bought into that “alone in the bedroom for eternity” stereotype… at least not for many years. Is it that surprising that people who prefer interactivity to passivity also like to interact with the real world more than their “passive” entertainment favouring counterparts?

6. morriss

I played Championship Manager on the Amiga with three mates for 60 hours straight back when I was wee lad.

Just smoked weed, drank tea and ate baked beans on toast for three days.

All stereotypes are derived from some kind of truth somewhere. :)

7. Hunam

I am fat, sex starved reptilious nerd.

I never used to be though, what happened to me eh?