SCIV Vader and Yoda DLC date and price

Monday, 20th October 2008 11:47 GMT By Mike

vaderyoda.jpg

Namco Bandai has revealed that Darth Vader and Yoda will be available as downloadbale content this Thursday for 400 MS Points. We’re still waiting on a confirmation of a Euro price for PSN, but it’ll cost our American bed-fellows $4.99.

The two characters were previously console specific, and they still are, until Thursday, of course.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Price gouged, you will be!

2. pjmaybe

Do we get the bloke with the weird floaty fried-egg eyes from the Wii version too?

3. Psychotext

I never, ever, ever saw this coming.

Ever.

4. ecu

Not for that price, I didn’t! £3.50 for a character that’s already probably on the disc? Fucking hell, it’s horse armour all over again.

5. pjmaybe

Only if you’re really really stupid enough to buy ‘em.

6. ecu

People will be, though.

7. Blerk

I predict far more Vaders than Yodas being sold.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s disgraceful price gouging. :/ Comparing the price of the full game on physical media with the price of one extra character clearly shows that they’re being cunts. I have a graph here to prove it and everything.

9. Esha

Do I detect DLC dissonance here? Good for you chaps!

As far as I recall, the last time that DLC was mentioned, there was support for it. So it seems that DLC is only really particularly stupid when it’s something that one doesn’t want.

I’ve always been against this form of diddling though, and I really hope that no one’s going to buy it. It’s irritating though, because it means for those two-player Vader versus Yoda battles, one would need to buy the DLC. That will likely make it a worthwhile purchase for Soul Calibur fans, and thusly I suspect it will do well.

But at that price and for something that should’ve been released as free DLC, or at a third of that price at the very least, this is fairly disgraceful.

it’s good to see though that at least some folks here have a modicum of fiscal wisdom, that pleases me. I just wish that selfsame fisal wisdom would extend to all gamers.

After all, one could find better uses for spare change than this. Such as saving up for when an unexpected bill arrives, or donating to charity. Now if these DLC efforts actually put money towards charity, I’d be much more okay with them. And to be honest… that’s a thought. I doubt that idea will find any popularity with DLC salespeople, though.

10. Psychotext

You do realise that there’s a huge difference between this sort of “on the disc” shite and the sort of DLC we’ve seen for games like Burnout Paraside?

11. pjmaybe

Good example there PT, Burnout Paradise…game changing FREE content = double plus good.

12. DrDamn

Whether it’s on the disc or not matters not a jot – it’s the value of the DLC and the price charged for it.

13. Romanmir

Because M$ has set up their XBLA pricing as they have, I have had the required 400 points for about the last 8 months. I have been looking for something worthwhile to spend it on.

This is going to be it.

Is it gouging? Not quite. If it were twice the points it would be gouging.

Should it have been a third the current price? Maybe.
    Could it have been two-thirds the current price? Of course.

However, DD has it right about it being about the value of the DLC and the price charged for it. I will enjoy it more BECAUSE I had to pay that much for it instead of in spite of having to pay for it.

And I’m not even going to touch the question of whether or not if should have been free. But, as a hint, I am generally opposed to exclusive content of any kind.