Rhianna Pratchett to script Overlord II

Thursday, 16th October 2008 11:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rhianna.jpg

Codemasters has confirmed that Rhianna Pratchett is to script Overlord II.

“For a relatively new entertainment medium, it’s a sign of great progress that the industry is being recognised by the Writers’ Guild in this way. Writing for games is part alchemy, part narrative woodwork and part swimming in shark infested waters wearing ham pants, so it’s a real honour to be nominated for Overlord. The Overlord titles are fantastic creative projects and Triumph and Codemasters make a talented and supportive team who keep some of those sharks at bay,” said Pratchett.

The game’s out next year.

Press release after the link.

MINIONS REJOICE! AWARD NOMINATED AUTHOR RHIANNA PRATCHETT TO RETURN FOR NEW OVERLORD™ TITLES

Codemasters® Announces Signing Award-Nominee Rhianna Pratchett to Pen Scripts for Overlord™II, Overlord™Dark Legend and Overlord™Minions

Thursday 16th October/… Writers’ Guild Award-nominee Rhianna Pratchett has been signed as scriptwriter for Overlord™II, the sequel to the hit twisted fantasy adventure from Triumph Studios, and both series extensions – Overlord™Dark Legend and Overlord™Minions – coming 2009, publisher Codemasters® announced today.

The announcement sees Pratchett continuing her role as writer and narrative designer for the delightfully despotic series and follows her nomination for Best Videogame Script for her work on the original Overlord game in the Writers’ Guild Awards 2008. In addition to videogames, the prestigious Writers’ Guild Awards recognises the best in British writing talent across TV and radio drama, soap, comedy, theatre and movie screenplay categories. The awards will be held at BAFTA (The British Academy of Film and Television Arts) on Sunday 23rd November 2008 in London.

“For a relatively new entertainment medium, it’s a sign of great progress that the industry is being recognised by the Writers’ Guild in this way. Writing for games is part alchemy, part narrative woodwork and part swimming in shark infested waters wearing ham pants, so it’s a real honour to be nominated for Overlord. The Overlord titles are fantastic creative projects and Triumph and Codemasters make a talented and supportive team who keep some of those sharks at bay,” said Rhianna Pratchett. “It’s a real pleasure to be back in the evil writing seat and taking the Overlord and the Minions to new lands and new adventures for the 2009 titles.”

“Congratulations to Rhianna on her well-deserved nomination for Best Videogame Script,” said Lennart Sas, director and Overlord lead at Triumph Studios. “A huge part of Overlord’s popularity stems from its tongue-in-cheek, often dark humour and Rhianna’s dialogue provides the perfect fit to the gameplay. Rhianna understands that writing for games is different than writing for movies, which puts her above some of the Hollywood writing talent that have lent their names to games previously. We’re delighted to have her on board again to work across on the next instalment of the Overlord’s adventures.”

Coming 2009, all new titles in the Overlord series include Overlord II for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft® and Games For Windows®, Overlord Dark Legend for Wii™ and Overlord Minions for Nintendo DS™. Prepare to face the Glorious Empire in Overlord II and the rather grim fairy tales of Overlord Dark Legend and Overlord Minions when the manic horde and awesome authoritarian returns in 2009.

1. Tonka

I wonder if she will introduce Umbrella corp. into the universe?

2. Esha

I can’t help but wonder if this will be henceforth known as the year (or few years, the one coming included) in which gaming finally discovered decent writing. Plots in games usually make me very sad, but with the likes of Dead Space and Mirror’s Edge lately, and to know there’s more to come…

I am happy. Very, very happy.

3. Shatner

I really must play Overlord 1 some day.

/pat

4. Esha

The original Overlord was fun, but the plot was…

Well.

Overlord: I am Teh Ebil Overlord, I do evil things. I am READY to maim and kill.

One week later.

Overlord: I am… uh, not so evil. I’m a mildly rude vigilante at best, and I always have what’s best for the people at heart. I’m nothing more than a misunderstood good guy. An anti-hero. *Snif.*
    Advisor: Um… there there?

I strongly suspect this is why they recruited a real writer to handle the script of the sequel.

5. Lutz

Esha: That was only if you went the good guy route, but I do see what you’re saying. “Chaotically good”, rather than outright evil.

But outright evil destroyes everything, and who’s gonna deliver the milk then? It’s tongue in cheek evil, and it’s very good for it too.

/is replaying Overlord+Raising Hell ATM.

6. Esha

Oh, I don’t know so much. Lawful Evil likes to keep things in check… Lawful Evil is the kind of thing that would create a fascist empire after all, numbered people living pre-programmed lives and the likes. So not all evil is purely about destruction.

I would’ve preferred a more balanced character in the end though, something of a True Neutral would’ve worked better.

I wasn’t criticising the game though, I think it’s an absolutely brilliant little gem of a strategy game, I loved it when I played it first and I still love it. But I do see why they brought a professional plot writer on board. A lot of the way evil is portrayed is in the feel, and the evil was… as you said, more Chaotic Good, it didn’t even really match up to Black & White’s evil… and that’s saying something.

So yes, great game but it needs… refocusing.

Rhianna might just be the person to do it.

Annnd… I can’t believe I made this post.

/neeeerrrd

7. Shatner

Sorry to burst your bubble Esha, Rhianna was the scriptwriter for the first Overlord too.

I’ll pass on your comments next time I speak to her :P

8. Hunam

I read PCZone for years and didn’t realise who her father was.

Crazy times!

9. Vincent

The first quote in this article is also about the fact that she got nominated for an award for the first Overlord by the Writers Guild. It doesn’t really make sense as a direct folow up to the headline…

10. Esha

Shatner: Please do! If that was Rhianna aswell then I know she can do better, it’s only constructive criticism after all. And I don’t take a word of it back, the Overlord of the first game was a bit of an anti-hero ponce. So if Rhianna wrote both, she’s perhaps taken this into consideration too.