18-45 year-old women account for 28% of US games revenue

Friday, 3rd October 2008 07:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wimminingames.jpg

IBISWorld data has shown that 18-45 year-old women account for 28 percent of American games sales, compared to the 37 percent of the same male age group.

The research has also concluded that 38 percent of all US gamers are female, up from 33 percent in five years.

More in this Reuters piece.

1. endgame

ok, so? what’s the importance of this news?

2. patlike

Don’t you think it’s important?

3. Psychotext

The breakdown (made up):

DS: 50%
    Wii: 30%
    PC: 10% (web games / The Sims etc)
    Mobile: 5%
    Other: 5%

:D

4. Tonka

Yeah, write about us! How dare you mentioning non-hardcore-not-posting-on-blogs-gamers.

This is the last time ever I visit this casual haven!

5. endgame

well i would like to spend more time with girls that play videogames rather then with the like of “i’m not even going to speak to u if u don’t make a gazillion dollars/year, have a ferrari, a huge house with at least 1 floor and pool” and who knows what else..

now the existence of intelligent gamer girls would be important to me. but like psychotext said, they are incredibly few. nearly no girl is intelligent enough to play normal pc games (normal as in, NOT CASUAL). now i’m not saying that there r NO intelligent gamer females out there, i’m just saying that there r just A FEW. which is really sad, because i had the chance to play games (like guild wars) with some, even at hardcore levels, and they r amazing, funny, intelligent and have sexy voices unlike the other type of girls which i detailed more in the first paragraph, and of which i’m sick of right now.

oh and i forgot to mention that some of them also love and are really good at flaming newbies, they r proud of being who they r, and I RESPECT them for that. i respect them because i know how it is to be a rose in a garden of weeds. cheers!

6. patlike

I think the point of the story, really, is that publishers are probably neglecting the market with male-orientated stuff. It’s easy to watch a site like this, though, and think that “women” aren’t being catered for in games, because we do tend to focus on “core” content like shooters, RPGs, etc.

There’s clearly plenty of stuff “ladeez” like to play out there, because loads of them do. Stay with it: I’m sure there’s a nice girl out there who likes the same stuff you do :D

7. Psychotext

I reckon Blerk is probably in a good position to find a lady that feels the same way he does about games… given he seems to hate 95% of them. :P

8. patlike

:D

9. patlike

I went to play EndWar yesterday in London. Was really impressive. I told Fiona about it when I got back and she literally face/palmed me.

“This isn’t doing it for me, Pat.”

10. Blerk

Cheeky!

My missus only likes card games and Mahjong Solitaire. And she sometimes likes to watch me play (some) RPGs but she doesn’t play them herself.

She did play a bit of Brain Training when we first bought the DS, but she got bored of it after about a fortnight.

11. El_MUERkO

who plays a racing game with a flight stick, silly lady

12. cachucha

lol that milf has plantronics headset :P

13. airdom

well i turned my girlfiend into a gamer :) started out by playing halo 2 at a friends place back in the days..she loved just throwing grenades everywhere!!

now she loves playing anything, viva pinata, nhl 09, cod4, halo 3, gears of war…and much more. this is really awesome.

Now we love playing pretty much any game that has a co-op mode. its hilarious! we love playing together but we always argue while playing (i say you gotta go there!!she says ahhh shut up im going!) it can get messy at time but when its over were cool haha ;)

hope you can all get a girlfriend like mine :P