Dyack banned from NeoGAF after “worst forum” comments

Tuesday, 19th August 2008 21:29 GMT By Mike

denisdyacka2.jpg

After telling videogaming247 the reason he chose to challenge NeoGAF over negative comments towards Too Human was because the forum was “the worst” of it’s kind, Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack now finds himself banned from the site.

GAF moderator EviLore wrote this angry response:

As Confucius once said, “the photoshop cat juggles a ball of yarn, and unravels it all over his face.” You are Baldur, Denis. You’re the poorly animated bald Norse technogod, the Übermensch with a thousand pointless book references misunderstood by the dirty proles who aren’t worthy enough to judge you.

Your favorite Nietzsche quote, “he who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster,” is one you’ve fallen victim to yourself, if your opinion of this site is to be taken to heart. In these pitiable confrontations with us you’ve proven to be the monster of gaming development, a sore on the industry and a squanderer of your subordinates’ time and effort. Through all this, through this self-inflicted PR nightmare, you’ve conquered vast new frontiers of unwarranted hyperbole and desperate pseudo-intellectual grasping. Buy an unaccredited doctorate, change your given name to Derek, and take up the reins; Derek Smart would eagerly defer to the greatness of Dr. Dyack.

What is an appropriate action to take in response to the man who continues to post here? I won’t be tolerating a second retconned “social experiment,” a second call for NeoGAF’s closing, or a second “worst forum” insult. You decided to ignore the option for real terms for your pointless tag bet, so with the majority of reviews condemning your magnum opus to mediocrity I’ll claim a suitable prize by telling you to get the hell off NeoGAF.

We’re saying nothing.

By Mike Bowden

1. Shatner

Well, again, I really can’t say I give two shits about NeoGAF.

It’s very easy to laugh at a public face when you have anonymity to hide behind. And banning your critics is not the same as dealing with criticsm.

Slamming the door on people just because you’re unable to tolerate a fraction of the kind of shit you merrily dish out shows that NeoGAF has far less sense of humour than anyone else in this debacle.

No doubt, the internet loltards will cheer for NeoGAF’s double standards and painfully manipulative rhetoric. By responding the way they have they simply add a lot of weight to Dyack’s argument.

Double standards = INSTAFAIL

2. morriss

Serious stuff.

3. trav

Taken from OXM: http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=5792

“But what we’re also seeing is for the people who don’t like it, generally just don’t get it. And it’s because we’ve created something so innovative and different.”

So basically, because I didn’t like the demo, I didn’t get it?

Right.

I’m sure the Microsoft PR department is having a field-day with this guy.

4. No_PUDding

I can’t decide….

NeoGAF can be a trifle, especially with the anonymity, but it’s also a democracy.

So firstly it’s not everyone on NeoGAF, in fact in the many threads, I saw people backing him up.

Denis however has lashed out and insulted NeoGAF as a whole, and has also kind of lead them along with ‘social experiments’. Perhaps if he were truthful, he wouldn’t come across so stupid.

5. ecu

NeoGAF is fucking awful. It’s the arse-end of the internet, where all the shit gathers. It’s a total embarrassment to gamers everywhere.

6. No_PUDding

I am not on there, but I want to back it up, becuase I know of very fair people who go there. I think it’s the insular mob mentality that comes with it, that makes it appear quite negative – infact more than appear.

I don’t know. I think I will focus on commentign the gamign articles, but this was a dramatic one.

7. ecu

Well, Psychotext goes there whenever he’s not banned (:D) and he’s alright. I’m not tarring everyone with the same brush, but generally NeoGAF is shit.

I know plenty of decent folks on GameFAQs, but I’m sure most people here wouldn’t consider those to be good forums.

8. Hunam

Heh, never cared for the GAF but hat’s off to the response to his constant stream of bullshit.

9. sickpuppysoftware

I’ve never even been to NeoGAF. I take it I’m not missing much?

10. No_PUDding

Hahah ecu, yes, I think that’s summed up. Fair people don’t all clump together. Which is why it’s unfair of your you generalise in some ways. But I totally get what you mean.

Especially with the comparison to GameFAQs. :D

Made me laugh though… first post in that thread was:

“No, he’s pretty much right.”

11. CitizenSwift

I have little experience of either NeoGAF or Dyack, but I think the old saying applies here: “If you’ve nothing good to say, don’t say anything.”

Neither party looks good. A professional silence would be far preferable. Now I’m actively turned away from both Dyack’s game and the NeoGAF forums.

12. deanimate

It really doesn’t apply. that bloody saying is ridiculously stupid.

13. El_MUERkO

serious stuff indeed

14. Quiiick

Me too, I have little to no knowledge of either NeoGAF or Mr. Dyack. But I’d like to ask the following question. What’s worse: abuse or double standards?

15. No_PUDding

There’s no REAL claim of double standards.

It’s just a little retort for those who want to hate on NeoGAF. People have other reasons for hatign Dyack. I think they are both stupid, but I won’t avoid involvement if I come across either.

I will still be at NeoGAF, althoguh as usual, a lurker. And I shall still play Dyack’s games, if I like them. Or own the correct console.

16. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    “… I think they are both stupid …”

Agreed! :) *ducks*
    But I did not have the guts to say so … ;)

17. No_PUDding

But the point is I won’t be close minded about it. I think what they did was stupid, but mob mentality drove GAF, and Denis is hurt by his project being torn apart – he’s lashing out.

Both very human reactions, so I think maybe I should have worded that differently. How both parties reacted, was stupid. But you get that :P.

Ahh so melodramatic.

18. mortiferus

NeoGAF… blah. The septic tank of the gaming world i say!

19. ElfShotTheFood

EviLore’s buddies at the call center are going to be really impressed when he tells them about this.

20. Shatner

Forums are not a democracy, they are a dictatorship. A few high-ranking individuals make laws that the masses must follow.

Abitrarily changing/breaking laws just because you can take a cheap shot at one of your critics says far more about your own position than it does your targets.

21. Blerk

NeoGAF won’t let me in. I’ve been trying to get on there for years. My reputation obviously precedes me. :-)

22. Shatner

Take pride Blerk – exclusion from the ranks of mediocrity!

/starts own forum

Hey guyz, join my forum!! You can all be admins!!

23. Blerk

I only want in so that I can use the search.

24. Psychotext

It is a bit odd. I’d have thought they’d just make it so unapproved posters can’t post… but can use the other functionality.

25. SticKboy

Fuck me, can you imagine what a forum run by Phil would be like? Yeesh…

Dyack had it coming – the banning, not the totally unjustifiable way DuckRoll and a few other mods slammed Too Human for lulz.

At the end of the day, Too Human is only a good-but-not-spectacular game; Dyack’s mouth had written cheques his arse couldn’t cash and now he’s paying the price.

Phil, I really hope Free Rad don’t make you a spokesperson, or you could find yourself in similarly dire straits.