Jack Thompson set to be disbarred for 10 years

Thursday, 5th June 2008 07:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

jackthompson4.jpg

A Florida court yesterday recommended that anti-game super-lawyer Jack Thompson be banned from practicing law for the next decade.

If upheld, the ruling will be Thompson won’t be able to perform any legal function whatsoever for ten years.

Thompson stormed out of the hearing, claiming the judge involved had no right to hear his case.

Judge Dava Tunis’ specific recommendations for sanctions will be included in her official report, to be due to the Florida Supreme Court by September 2.

There’s a huge report on this on Kotaku, including a full, 4,500-word objection Thompson filed with the court.

“I am ‘guilty’ of being right and ahead of the curve when it came to Howard Stern and as to Grand Theft Auto. Because I took on Bar complainant, Al Cardenas, the Howard Stern Show is off terrestrial radio and his influence diminished,” said the soon-to-be-not-lawyer.

“Because I took on this cop-killing, woman-bashing video game, the Presidential race is now addressing the issue and this particular video game. Try to get me disbarred. Go ahead, do your worst, Referee Tunis. I will continue to do my best.”

Jack, for Christ’s sake. Take the fucking hint.

1. fj

SUPER K.O.

2. patlike

Ja. That really is the end of that.

3. Blerk

Mind the door doesn’t hit you in the arse on the way out, Jack!

/slams door
    /really hard

4. kasai

he should of been Bared a long, long time ago.

5. Whizzo

Word of the day : schadenfreude.

/sets off party poppers

6. Tiger Walts

If you will alienate everyone in the Florida Bar with actions that could arguably be classed as harassment, what do you expect.

I doubt he’s ever heard the term ‘thin end of the wedge’ because that’s pretty much the way you have to force any political agenda. If he had campaigned for reasonable change, such as better enforcement of age restrictions, he may have made, and probably still can make a difference. Bull in a china shop, better describes his actions. Antagonising people who don’t help you and burning bridges is hardly going to help in the long run.

7. f1r3storm

Owned.

8. patlike

I really hope he just stops. It’s not even a right or wrong issue any more. It’s just embarrassing.

9. deanimate

you can’t hate him. you just can’t. he does all of that for us by himself.
    poor old, deluded, disbarred man.

10. patlike

I don’t hate him at all. I admire him. He believes he’s doing the right thing, and he simply won’t stop because he really does think that he’s saving people from something evil.

What baffles me is that there’s no “common sense” button. Even when he’s being stripped of his professional life, he refuses to accept that he’s gone about things the right way. That’s just odd.

11. Michael

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Sad thing is, Jack used to have a point. The gaming industry *does* need to wake up and take some responsibility for its content, and a proper, legally enforceable rating system has to be put in place to cover all games; the current system in America is nothing more than a “guide” with little legal weight to it.

Of ourse, when you scream like a lunatic the way this guy does, no wonder nobody listen.

12. pjmaybe

Something tells me disbarred or no, this isn’t the last we’ll see of this walking mouthpiece.

Now all we need is Keith Vaz to get a similar hoofing on this side of the pond, swiftly followed by Anne Diamond.

13. TJ

I’m not clear – is he banned, or have they just suggested he should be banned? Is it just in Florida, or nation-wide?

14. patlike

The judge recommended he be disbarred for 10 years. I think it goes to another hearing in September, and if it’s upheld he won’t be able to practice law at all. I assume it’s nationwide. The Kotaku story has a lot of detail.