GTA IV as a system seller will favour PS3, says analysts

Friday, 25th April 2008 07:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking in this Reuters report, analysts Michael Pachter and Edward Williams have both said that they expect GTA IV will help move more PS3 hardware than Xbox 360s.

If sales come in at the high end of that range, the game will directly spur sales of 2 million additional PS3s in 2008, versus 1 million Xbox 360s, reckons Michael Pachter, an analyst with Wedbush Morgan.

“I think PS3 ‘wins’ this battle,” Pachter said…

“So many people who owned the PS2 went into PlayStation family because of ‘GTA’. The release of ‘GTA4′ could expedite their decision to upgrade,” said Edward Williams, an analyst with BMO Capital Markets.

More through the link.

1. kasai

Any time I read these patcher reports he always comes off as a Sony fan boy predicting that sony will win this and be on top that.

I think he’s wrong in thinking GTA 4 is a system seller just for ps3. I think GTA 4 is a system seller on both sides and with the xbox 360 price cut I think sony are going to struggle not only from an already huge install base in both europe in america but one that could easily grow with GTA 4.

The only true system seller PS3 has is MGS4, most games are just too hard to pin down as a system seller since there on both consoles.

2. Blerk

I don’t think he’s a “fanboy”, I think he’s just doing the same as everyone else and surmising that Sony will eventually win out, just because they did in the past. If they don’t, he’s going to look pretty silly. :-)

3. Shatner

Kasai, I think you’re projecting your own prejudices onto Pachter here.

These analysts aren’t here for the benefit of the games culture. They’re market analysts. The information they have and the trends they identify to base their projections on are far more complex and grounded in reality than “Oh, I like Sony so I’m going to say nice things about the PS3″. Analysts’ clients (the people that actually *need* to know the information they offer) couldn’t care less what their preference is. They pay lots of money for an analyst’s expertise and business sense, not whether he’s a fanboy or not.

It’s very likely that Pachter has a far broader understanding of what influences the trends in the market than any group of gamers. Just because something he says doesn’t necessary match any view you have doesn’t mean it’s unfounded or biased. If anything, it’s neutral and people’s responses to such neutrality demonstrate bias on their part.

4. kasai

Talk about taking my point too far. I wasn’t being overlyu serious in my pinning him down as a fanboy……sigh got to love the internet everything can be taken out of context.

I was just pointing out that most of his predictions of late have been mostly sony it was just a commentary about the reports being in favour of Sony. That might be because hes seen trends and other information that is pointing in that direction. It wasn’t a Prejudices it was meant as a joke commentary on most of the recent reports…….

Anyway like I said with xbox 360 price cut and it beong on both consoles I really highly doubt it will be a win for either. PS3 will sell loads of console with GTA 4 were as the 360 doesn’t need to sell as many consoles its already got the install base. Its a win either side.

5. Shatner

That’s quite telling, don’t you think? :D

6. Whizzo

Pachter really isn’t Nostradamus to predict this really, the PS3 is starting to pick up momentum, a lot of PlayStation 2 owners haven’t bought into “next-gen” yet so will possibly stick with what they know, the format war is over so Blu-ray is more attractive and pricing is a bit better than it was.

Microsoft’s biggest problem in getting PS2 owners to switch brands is their own stupidity in releasing a console with absolutely terrible reliability which practically everyone who owns a 360 has suffered from (my original 360 lasted nearly 20 months so I consider myself lucky), it does put people off the system quite a bit.

Will that mean GTA IV sells more on the PS3 though? Of course not, the install base is much bigger on 360 but that also means that a lot of people who were ever going to buy a 360 probably already have one.

7. Psychotext

No, Pachter really is a fanboy… although a mild one (and yes he does admit this). He still thinks the PS3 will have some ungodly large comeback to somehow beat the Wii, even in Japan where it’s being totally crushed.

8. Tonka

But, but…
    .o?

9. Tiger Walts

Least saturated console to benefit most from massive multi-format title. NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

10. kasai

“For someone who is saying they weren’t that serious you give awfully serious replies to counter-opinions.

That’s quite telling, don’t you think? :D”

Well the first part :P was meant as a joke were as the second part was meant to be serious.

Look at the latest news 19 million units in favour of 360. Yes a lot of PS2 owners as well have yet to jump ship and come to the PS3 I think that’s more to do with the fact HDTV’s are still very expensive, for a half decent one £400. I personally have yet to get a HDTV and don’t really see the point in getting one in the near future. Mainly due to them being expensive.

If you take that into consideration and the fact that living costs in the uk in general are getting higher people don’t have as much money to burn. So come GTA 4 release only the most well off will be able to afford a HDTV, PS3 plus GTA 4 all at the same time. Were as with the 360 price cut and its more flexible connection options such as using a VGA monitor its far more likely the not so well off might just end up getting GTA 4 on that instead.

there’s a lot of if’s and buts but down the line it comes down to if you have the money. Sony I think will sell fair few consoles but I doubt it will be the amazing victory Patcher is predicting I think it will be equal for both sides.

11. Killerbee

Sony have played this one quite well, I think. They’ve let Microsoft pay for all the marketing and hype-generation around GTAIV and all they do is quietly release a bundle packing a copy of the game. It makes the PS3 the most obvious choice to anyone looking to buy a new console for this game. Plus the strength of the Playstation brand, plus Blu-ray… for anyone who isn’t really a hardcore gamer, it’s a compelling argument.

12. Shatner

Another long reply from kasai!

Kasai, you suggest that Pachter is predicting an “amazing victory” in his statement. I think you’re making this to be a bigger deal than what Pachter actually said.

Count to 10 and read it again. Slowly. ;)

13. Daniel Plainview

everyone loves patcher

14. scuz

so this proves. advertising doesn’t work.

gta and playstation are synonymous.

will be for a while.

less microsoft/ea truely buyout the series.

15. Psychotext

scuz: Of course advertising works. If it wasn’t for that, hardly anyone would even know it’s on the 360 and the PS3 version would end up selling more.

16. Tonka

This is clearly a mistake. Didn’t he get the memo?