Pickpocket like a pro. Here’s how to join the best.
If sneaking and taking down enemies quietly if at all is your sort of thing, The Thieves Guild is likely one of your top choices for a job in the world of Skyrim. If you’re playing Skyrim on Switch and like the idea of stealing things while on the go, this is the guild for you.
Much as with The Dark Brotherhood, the thing about the Thieves Guild is they are by their very nature rather secretive. In order to join them you’ll need to know who to speak to and track them down in order to get the introductions you need. We’re here to help. Here’s how to get in touch with the Thieves Guild in Skyrim:
How to join The Thieves Guild
- In the city of Riften you’ll find Brynjolf, a nord chap with red hair. He can be found in the marketplace area in the daytime (8am-8pm) and in The Bee and Barb inn at night. If you encounter him at night in the inn, he’ll only redirect you to find him in the marketplace in the day, however.
- As soon as you find the right guy, he’ll excitedly try to talk to you. Chatting to him will kick off the ‘A Chance Arrangement’ quest.
- You now must follow the steps of the A Chance Arrangement quest. You’ll be tasked with stealing a Silver Ring from a strongbox – but then in a twist you have to reverse-pickpocket in order to plant that ring inside another chap’s pocket.
- This quest is really quite easy – Brynjolf lays out a plan in detail. He even causes a nice distraction in the marketplace – all you have to do instead is carry out the plan as he suggested. This is easy.
- While completing the task successfully is ideal, if you do for some reason fail or are caught you can still join the guild – Brynjolf will say he sees your potential. It’s better to pass with flying colours, however, as the guild folk will be more accepting. When the quest is complete, meet Brynjolf in the Ragged Flagon to get properly signed up and get access to the full set of Thieves Guild quests.
- Be warned – once you’ve joined the guild, attacking other guild members or those associated with the guild will see you kicked out. You’ll be able to rejoin, but it won’t be cheap.