The “father of Final Fantasy” wants to make a new game in 2016

By Brenna Hillier, Tuesday, 5 January 2016 00:55 GMT

Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi will be back at work in 2016.

the_last_story

One of the key early creatives on the Final Fantasy series, Sakaguchi left Square in 2004 to found Mistwalker, where he and his team turned out Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and The Last Story. Since then he’s been too quiet for console fans’ tastes, focusing on mobile games such as the bare bones free-to-play RPG Terra Battle.

Speaking to Famitsu, as translated by Siliconera, Sakaguchi said he intends to continue churning out Terra Battle content this year, but also to work on something else – a new title.

Choosing “new” as his defining word for 2016, Sakaguchi said he hopes the mystery project will be “original” and have a “new worldview”.

Don’t expect a release this year; it sounds like the very early stages of production. To be honest, I doubt we’re talking about a Final Fantasy-style RPG, even stripped back for mobile; Sakaguchi seems to want to do new things, and Mistwalker probably isn’t equipped for full-scale console development in this generation.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments