Cheer up: it’s only a game

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 14:32 GMT By Dave Cook

Flame wars, trolling, forum arguments and fanboy format armageddon have been reignited with the coming of the latest console generation, but sometimes we all just need to chill out and remember that they’re only games. Right?

oculus fun times

”There are no “hardcore gamers,” “girl gamers,” or “casual gamers,” in my mind. To categorise our fellow hobbyists in such a manner is to deem them somehow different or inferior.”

Today is my last day on VG247 and as a games writer.

I struggled over what the focus of my final blog should be for some time. I wondered if one of those big, long-winded “how I got here, and why I entered this mad, mad industry” stories would be appropriate, but then I remembered that I’m not an important person or going to linger in the memory of the masses for longer than, oh, I’d say a week after today.

So no, I won’t be going down the back-slapping route. It just feels self-serving, you know?

Instead, I wanted to talk about you. That’s right, you sitting there reading these words. You might be male, female, trans-gendered, black, white or a member of another ethnicity. You may be religious, atheist, politically-minded or indifferent. Perhaps you consider yourself a hardcore gamer, or maybe you just enjoy playing phone apps for a few minutes a day.

There’s a lot of debate about inclusion and representation in gaming today, but I don’t care who you are or where you come from, just like you probably don’t care about my life story and reasons for being here today. All that matters is that you’re a gamer; a member of the biggest interactive medium this planet has ever known. This is an inclusive club with no entry requirements or pre-requisites that say “you must do this or be that” to enjoy the hobby.

dark_souls

You died. Probably because you’re a casual n00b who sucks at games. AMRITE? LOL!!1

There are no “hardcore gamers,” “girl gamers,” or “casual gamers,” in my mind. To categorise our fellow hobbyists in such a manner is to deem them somehow different or inferior. You may have even used these descriptors to put someone down or to exert rank over another player.

The truth is we live in a time now where those tags mean nothing. We are all just “gamers.”

To you sitting there reading these words, whoever you are, I say “welcome, fancy a game of something?”

”As a games writer you have little choice but to roll up your sleeves and plunge your writing hands into the sewer of gaming’s darkest, most hateful recesses. You really need a thick skin.”

However, while I hope you’ve enjoyed your time as a game enthusiast so far, I have to admit that – thanks in large part to the advent of the internet – that this hobby has grown incredibly toxic over the years. I’m speaking specifically about the social media space (forums, Facebook, comment feeds and the like). It’s a damn shame too.

Chances are if you’re a happy, content gamer who simply plays games and enjoys them, you won’t have seen the ugly side of the medium that I have. In this job you can’t avoid the screaming, angered, puerile, nasty and downright poisoned exchanges that go on between fellow gamers in the online space.

As a games writer you have little choice but to roll up your sleeves and plunge your writing hands into the sewer of gaming’s darkest, most hateful recesses. You really need a thick skin when putting out articles that might be read by thousands to millions of people, and I’ll admit that I’ve failed in that aim on a few occasions. That’s because I wear my heart on my sleeve and my name is on these pages. Whatever I or other game writers say is instantly at the mercy of the masses. Backlash is inevitable when expressing an opinion on hot topics.

wario

An inaccurate depiction of every game journalists everywhere, bathing in bribe money

During my seven years as a published writer I’ve been called every name under the sun – ‘shill, corrupt, misleading, liar, not a gamer, bribed, paid off, fanboy’ – just for doing my job or daring to have a public opinion. I’m always open for a right to reply however, and where possible I’ll speak with those giving me shit to politely talk about the dispute. Nine times out of ten we talk about it calmly, and once the issue is resolved we remain followers and even friends on Twitter.

That’s heart-warming. But what about you, the gamer sitting there? Do you possess the capacity to to forgive and calmly debate whenever such arguments kick off? When someone expresses their interest in Sony consoles, do you instantly defend your preferred Xbox format? Do you feel everyone who owns a Wii U is an idiot? Are fans of mobile games casual idiots or elderly people? Do you feel PC gaming is dying?

My best piece of advice to you is to calm down and remember that they’re only games.

I don’t mean this to discredit the power of gaming as a medium. Of course, to say they’re “only games” is to overlook the emotional effect of some titles, as well as the hard work, dedication and sheer artistry that goes into making the games so many of you, sitting there, profess to hate with such passion.

This is an incredible medium, one that triggers immense feeling and causes us to lay awake at night while pondering a plot twist or shock ending. It makes us converge at expos and wait in line for hours to play something we can’t wait to own, decorate our play spaces with figurines, posters and other merchandise. We buy the companion novels, watch the cartoon tie-ins, buy the DLC and play together online as friends, comrades.

When gamers rally together and support the medium as keen fans, instead of acting like angry children towards each other, we can achieve excellence. Those are the moments where I’d sit back from my keyboard and genuinely smile, because I can tell you for certain that seeing all of you game for charity, petition for positive change or simply share in your collective enthusiasm is a shining light amid a sea of negative darkness. You’re doing it right.

sick kids

My local charity Sick Kids Save Point sees gamers raising mad-cash for children’s hospitals each year, just for playing games.

Regular readers will know I’m always ready to give games the benefit of the doubt, because I believe that if you stay close minded you’ll be missing out on some superb experiences and who knows, maybe even your new favourite game of all time? Don’t rule it out, seriously.

It’s disheartening then, to see people commenting on a game’s one minute, cinematic reveal trailer and saying something like, “this game will be shit.” That game is dead on arrival to that person, and the work of hundreds of talented coders, artists and designers has been written off with a few keyboard taps. I’m sure many of you out there cannot imagine a world where you are like that person. I know I could never be so down about a past time I love this much.

For such a progressive, engrossing and entertaining medium I just can’t help but feel that such negativity doesn’t belong, but then I remember that we all have opinions. You can’t win them all, although in the majority it’s your passion, enjoyment and genuine keenness for gaming that have kept me in this job for so long. I just feel it’s simply time to tackle a new challenge.

To anyone who has read my silly words and kept my faith in both humanity, as well as the gaming fanbase flickering all this time, thank you, sincerely.

Remember: they’re just games and they exist to be enjoyed in the first instance, not used as ammunition to hurt or discredit your fellow hobbyist. Don’t close yourself off from the joy that this medium so regularly dispenses, I promise you will feel richer for it.

Bye!

yay its ONO

1. Dragon

What!
    WHAAAAAAT!

Its over guys…

“Bye!”
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#1 1 month ago
  2. Dragon

#2 1 month ago
  3. Michael Ireland

Here here. Truer words have never been spoken.

Sadly, that kind of hate and vitriol now seaps into every facet of this site. First it was the community. Then it became a part of the articles and news itself. If you keep fuelling the fire, the forest will burn sooner or later.

You were the best thing about this place since the day you arrived. Informed, friendly, and willing to stand up against bullshit and ego. Though I had the smarts to leave months ago, I know it won’t be the same for a lot without you approachable banter. Whose left to be positive about gaming now?

Catch you around outside of here, Dave. I’ve enjoyed your writing more than anyone else on the internet in the past few years. No joke.

#3 1 month ago
  4. Legendaryboss

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9rweavvPR1rb9imko6_r1_500.gif Big Boss salute. Disappointments levels are over 9000! Yeah good luck Dave.

Now this is where VG247 will take a turn, which will be interesting to watch.

#4 1 month ago
  5. Dave Cook

@Dragon sorry dude, duty calls :) Thanks for reading and all the discussion these past two years.

@Michael yeah dude keep in touch for sure. I’ll still be lurking in gaming’s undergrowth

Oh and as a shameless plug, you can keep up to date with my novel here. Looking to release in Oct/Nov

#5 1 month ago
  6. Dave Cook

@Legendaryboss Thanks Boss, cheers for all the comments and for reading my waffle :)

#6 1 month ago
  7. Talkar

Sad to see you go Dave.
    You and Steph were the last proper writers on this site…

Keep up your damn good work, and good luck with your future projects :D

#7 1 month ago
  8. Dave Cook

@Talkar Thanks dude, I appreciate that :)

#8 1 month ago
  9. salarta

It seems like the article is a little torn between “video games are just a form of entertainment, it’s not worth all the hate people put into it” and “video games are major catalysts for deep thought and meaningful change.” It seems trapped between two opposing perspectives. But I think the intent is that while games can be awesome, they’re not worth the really crazy extremes that can come out.

I disagree about the divisions. It’s true that everyone that plays games is a gamer no matter what games they play or how often, but there’s a marked difference between a person who will join petitions, push for change in the medium or boycott/support a game due to the company’s past actions, compared to a person that only cares enough to buy a quick and cheap game for their phone and leave it at that. There’s a reason the term “Trekkie” exists for big Star Trek fans, and it’s not because all fans are equally obsessed with Star Trek. There are different levels of interest in the medium, and attempts to talk about those different levels require terms for them. The only point where it becomes a problem is when the terms for those levels are used to suggest a person is automatically “not a gamer” or “not playing games right” for fitting the term.

Anyway, good article all around. See ya Dave, and good luck wherever your plans and career take you.

#9 1 month ago
  10. Dave Cook

@salarta Cheers, thanks for reading!

#10 1 month ago
  11. boskoz

*Dave Cook has left the game*

-wut?
    -noooo
    -fucking leaver, reported.

#11 1 month ago
  12. Dave Cook

@boskoz I rage quit ;)

#12 1 month ago
  13. The_Red

Dammit Dave, dammit.
    Even after learning about it via your superb From Software article, it still hurts.

Goodbye and best of luck.

#13 1 month ago
  14. salarta

@Dave Cook God, I remember the earlier days of online console gaming where kids would unplug their ethernet cords if they were about to lose so they would keep a perfect record. I wonder if any games still have that problem. Last I checked, the person starts getting penalties if it happens too often.

#14 1 month ago
  15. boskoz

Just remember Dave that no decision is forever.
    If you feel, in some months, that you were used to this writings and you miss them and maybe you have something more to add to this website, well… just return!
    This can be a pause to detoxify

#15 1 month ago
  16. Dave Cook

@The_Red I know dude it hasn’t sunk in just yet but will come 5pm. URK! :O

You can keep in touch on Twitter @davescook though :)

@boskoz we’ll see :) thanks for the support!

#16 1 month ago
  17. ChilliPSco

Dave, a brilliant article. Thanks for making my reading of your articles for the past few years, the most enjoyable. I wish you well for the future.

#17 1 month ago
  18. fengato

Truly sad to see you go Dave – I don’t want to belittle the efforts of other staff, though your articles were the reason I popped in each day. :( Here’s to your future endeavours!

#18 1 month ago
  19. Dave Cook

@ChilliPSco Thanks dude, I’m humbled that you liked and followed my work for so long :) It means a lot!

@fengato cheers, and thank you for reading my words, seriously :)

#19 1 month ago
  20. fengato

@Dave Cook – Must feel good (from a gaming) perspective to be moving on. Turning something that you love into a career can stifle the romance!

#20 1 month ago
  21. Hcw87

Hopefully this site won’t die down further because of this. Good luck with whatever you’re doing next (think i read something about a book/novel or something).

I haven’t always agreed with you as i’m a BF gamer and you’re more on the CoD side, but i guess we can both agree that Titanfall is a pretty awesome game, am i right?

It’s a shame to see an unbiased journalist platform-wise leave this site. There aren’t many of you here.

#21 1 month ago
  22. Dave Cook

@fengato Yeah it feels really good :)

@Hcw87 hell yeah on Titanfall :D YOu can keep up with my book here, lots of details – http://theseventhcircle.co.uk/about/

#22 1 month ago
  23. FinalStar

Judging from the way the quality and frequencey of news posts on here has clearly gone down already over the last few weeks coupled with the rise of click-baity mutli-page lists and similar stuff, I fear the worst now that you’re gone as well.

Good luck with your YouTube stuff and whatever else you’re going to do.

#23 1 month ago
  24. Dave Cook

@FinalStar Thanks Final, I appreciate that :)

#24 1 month ago
  25. Digital Bamboo

Well, shit.

Gamers everywhere, lose today.

Best of luck, Dave. I’ll be keeping an eye out for your book(s).

#25 1 month ago
  26. Dave Cook

@Digital Bamboo Cheers dude, that means a lot, sincerely. It’s been a pleasure to do my best to inform you guys over the years and hopefully you all got a laugh out of the words or found fun with a new game because of something I wrote :)

#26 1 month ago
  27. polygem

Worst news this site has posted in years.

Serioulsy.

Good luck with your future plans and all the best.

Let´s see where this site is heading to now.

It still does a pretty good job in keeping people updated with vg news, even with some of these pesky and questionable changes that happened in the last year or two – i always return to vg247 because in the news department, you guys just are the best on the whole wide internet. still. the success is deserved…but the site definitely is in danger to lose it´s authenticity and soul for quite some time now.

if i criticise the site i don´t do it because i just like to moan and complain / sometimes that´s fun though :D but because i think that this page has been and still kind of is – something special. criticism is important. i would really appreciate more feedback and interaction from the staff in general.

you´ve been trying to do just that from day one – it was great and a welcome change in interaction. it really benefited the page.

i always thought that you balanced this out quite well.

you´ll be missed for sure but moving on in your work life is pretty damn important imo…otherwise life can get boring.

Good luck and good game man!

#27 1 month ago
  28. JAMBO4170

Well you were bloody good at this so I wish you all the best in your next job. Your articles were always brilliant and offered an interesting point of view and opinion, as did this one. Which was totally on the mark, comment sections are only filled by people brave and willing enough to have someone attack them for any reason imaginable. We all have at least one thing in common…an appreciation of gaming!

#28 1 month ago
  29. Dave Cook

@polygem Thanks Poly, I appreciate the kind words, and have nothing but love for the VG247 crew. We part ways on good terms :)

Shameless plug but you can follow my novel Seventh Circle here, it’s one of the things I’m doing next:

@JAMBO4170 Cheers :D I just like to be balanced and nice about games instead of sneering and unfairly critical. I’m glad it got through to so many of you guys and it worked to a degree :)

#29 1 month ago
  30. Zedex

As a long-time lurker, I felt compelled to sign you off Dave. This industry really isn’t for the faint-hearted, and after seeing all the poisonous sludge you, everyone else on this site, and a fair amount of people in the industry have waded through, it’s truly inspiring to see that your passion and love for the medium is still intact. It really is a beautiful hobby, one I’m sure I’ll be sure I’m taking with me through the rest of my life.

Hope you have a great time wherever life takes you!

#30 1 month ago
  31. Dave Cook

@Zedex Thanks Zedex, it has been tough at times to see people act so despicably towards each other through an industry that exists for fun. It’s a damn shame, but that happens in many avenues of life.

My love of the game remains, that’s for sure :D Cheers for reading!

#31 1 month ago
  32. cubone285

See ya around Dave, wish you luck with your future endeavors and all that. :D

#32 1 month ago
  33. mickeytorrez

Good luck, Dave! Site won’t be the same without ya

#33 1 month ago
  34. JonFE

Anyone crazy enough to get an O&S tattoo is a force to be reckoned with, me thinks!

Best of luck with the book, Dave!

#34 1 month ago
  35. TheWulf

Not going to over-exaggerate or engage in hyperbole, none of that. Just going to say that you did a good job, Dave. You provided the news, and you were humble in its delivery. What more could one ask for?

You will be missed.

#35 1 month ago
  36. Dave Cook

@cubone285 @mickeytorrez Thanks, much appreciated :D

@JonFE Hah! and most certainly not the last Dark Souls tattoo that’s for sure!

@TheWulf I’m a humble writer that’s for sure. I worked here to serve you guys, always :) Cheers for all your comments and reading mate!

#36 1 month ago
  37. CyberMarco

Nice read as always from you Dave. Yeah, sometimes things get a bit heated regarding gaming controversies, some justified other not. I too tend to express my opinion most of the times but I don’t take the issues too seriously.

It’s a shame you are leaving this site, you are one of the really few that gladly engages with his readership among several gaming-news sites. Good luck with your future endeavors and I hope to catch you on Steam. :D

Btw thanks again for the headset! hehehe

#37 1 month ago
  38. ManuOtaku

Great job you did here, because you put a lot of your soul on yout posts, and because of that i know whatever you do next you will suceed, thats the most important ingridient in life, put something of you in what you do, an sure as heck you did it, thanks for everything, i will follow you on twitter, and perhaps i will play a few rounds of whatever game with you, god willing.

As For the issues touch by this piece, i agree, we gamers segregate big time among ourselfs, to the point it seems we hate us, and hate companies, that are part of what we love, which i dont see in other hobbies like anime, movies, and sports, we need to evolve in order to be one happy family, to enjoy the success of sony, microsoft, nintendo, or any other manufacturer, without seeing our personal preferences. We need to feel empathy for all gaming related things.

#38 1 month ago
  39. Gama_888

Damn, Bye dave. as others have said your articles have been good and iv enjoyed them.

i think i may take my leave from this site with you though.

i can still vaguely remember when i first found this place, it was awesome, all the VG news i wanted, up to date and in order, from the tiniest stories to the blockbuster announcements.

but now iv really lost my interest here, the breaking news is given a tiny bit on the side, while the big $ per click stories are highlighted as big and bold as can be.
    For years this site was the second tab that opened when i started chrome, but recently kotaku has found its way to its place.

Im honestly amazed that Erthazus is still spamming with the same messages article to article, year to year, and your still running from wordpress which doesnt allow ignoring if im right?

shame, real shame

#39 1 month ago
  40. Gama_888

Sorry for doube post, but i cant find the edit button, if there is one anymore? xD

but whats with all the list articles aswell??

theres always a 10 things you should know, or 10 things we , or 10 things you didnt know about so and so,
    in the headline list???

#40 1 month ago
  41. Triggerhappy

Sad to see you go Dave :( Always admired your willingness to get your hands dirty in the comments section and never taking any shite (in a nice way) You’ll be sorely missed. Soooo, only Brenna and Steph left… I’m sure they’ll hold the fort. PS: Bring back Johnny Cullen!

#41 1 month ago
  42. RandomTiger

Sorry to see you go, Best of luck for whatever is next.

#42 1 month ago
  43. OlderGamer

Good luck with your next chapter of life Dave.

#43 1 month ago
  44. TD_Monstrous69

You shall be missed Dave, and I can’t agree with you more about the vitriol within the gaming community, as well as the elitist categorization that can surround the gaming community. Wherever you’re going next, I wish you well.

#44 1 month ago
  45. fearmonkey

Wow…..
    Didnt see this coming…

Good luck on your future endeavors Dave! May your gaming always be great!
    You will be missed!

#45 1 month ago
  46. Dave Cook

@CyberMarco Thanks dude and congrats again on winning the competition :D

@ManuOtaku Love that comment mate, thank you. I do indeed put a lot of myself into my words, because I never once saw myself as above the reading, playing public. I’ve always been one of you guys, to the point that your frustrations are also mine and your enjoyment is as well. I like to think I never lost that passion :)

@Gama_888 sorry to hear you’re going, but I appreciate all of the kind words and for reading my articles :)

@Triggerhappy Thanks dude, I always thought there was little benefit in ignoring the community. Felt pointless and bad for the image :)

@RandomTiger Cheers! You can keep up to date with what I’m doing on @davescook and follow my book’s progress at http://www.theseventhcircle.co.uk It’s out this year.

@OlderGamer many thanks! :D

@TD_Monstrous69 I just figure they’re games you know? They exist fore fun, so I’m going to have some damn fun :D

@fearmonkey it all happened so fast admittedly, with my new job and such. Didn’t expect it to happen so quickly. Cheers for all the comments and for reading my pieces these few years!

#46 1 month ago
  47. newtain

Haven’t been using the site for long but whenever I opened an article, I knew it would be a good read if your name was at the top.

You get your point across without it ever seeming inflamatory or bias, and that’s the sign of a great writer.

Whatever the future holds for you, I wish you every success.

#47 1 month ago
  48. redwood

gonna miss your Darksoul adventures man :\ what will we do when bloodborne comes out? all the best with your future… God speed!

#48 1 month ago
  49. Revolting

Good work, Dave. Good work.

I know what it’s like to have a hobby soured by becoming a thankless labour. Hopefully you’ll continue to enjoy gaming all the more once you’ve stepped away from the more vitriolic side of the community. Time to relax and just have fun with those games. That’s what they’re there for, after all.

Good luck, and hey, the book looks really interesting!

#49 1 month ago
  50. Dave Cook

@newtain thanks dude that’s really humbling :) I always tried my best no matter what the subject.

@revolting thanks and cheers for the book feedback. It should launch this year. Stay tuned.

@redwood don’t worry about Bloodborne, i’m doing a video playthrough on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/thecookieshooter :D

#50 1 month ago
  51. Game Hunter

thank you for all the great articles,Dave.good luck with your future career.I hope I get the chance to have a jolly cooperation in a game with you buddy.Lead On,and Praise The Sun!

#51 1 month ago
  52. dazedonthemoon

What a sad post to read today. You were by far my favorite writer of this site Dave and your unbias and level headed approach to gaming journalism is still unmatched by what I have seen elsewhere.

Though I am slightly afraid to see where VG24/7 will go from here, I will try to stay positive and hope that I and the rest of the community here takes the good advice from this article and stop differentiating ourselves as gamers. We all enjoy this wonderful hobby and need take a breather sometimes before hitting that comment button to read what we actually wrote.

I wish you the best Dave! Thanks for all your time and effort on this site. We will be looking forward to a future drunk post talking about the good ol’ days. (Or at least I will) Haha! Cheers.

#52 1 month ago
  53. Darkfield

Damn good stuff, I’m gonna miss all this. I’m gonna drink a big pint of beer to your health and success Dave. Thanks for the fantastic articles and your involvement with the community all this time. It really is depressing to know the next time I’ll be browsing VG247 there wont be a brand new Dave Cook article to read through but then there’s gonna be your novel which is gonna be great. Which suddenly makes the whole thing not so grim after all. Looking forward to your future work, already bookmarked and subscribed everything, so I’m gonna be waiting to see what happened next. :D

Cheers mate, and thanks. And you tend to that beard.

#53 1 month ago
  54. Dragon

@Dave Cook ,
    Nah, don’t be sorry. Your life your choice. I just wanted to tell you that what you were doing (game journo) was great too.

Its just that your great work made VG247 a better place. For VG247, it seems to me (as a reader) that things are going downhill. The articles, the news reporting, the headlines, the dead forums, everything seems to be changing for the worse. With you leaving, it seems that the trend is just continuing.

Well, enough with negativity! You have my sincere thanks for the great 2 years of dedicated work you have put here and also wishing you god speed for your future endeavours.
    I will buy your novel definitely. And sorry that I couldn’t create your second anniversary thread in forums like last year :(

#54 1 month ago
  55. szu

You will be missed Mr. Cook.
    Good luck with everything.
    Take care.

#55 1 month ago
  56. Conqueror994

I Remeber your first post here when you came into this site, I always don’t have good feelings about new comers but i did about you from your first post.

I’m gonna follow your twitter to know what you doing next :) and support it whenever i can.

Good luck (Sorry for my bad english)

#56 1 month ago
  57. YoungZer0

Oh that’s just fucking great! Yeah, you just go and leave us here! Yeah, you do that, Dave!

Fucking Hell. You know you’re the ONLY writer that got me interested whenever you released one of your articles? Even if it’s a topic I don’t care about. Even if it’s a topic and opinion I disagree with (Dark Souls, hm? :)), it was always a pleasure to read your stuff, Dave.

Your articles always had that kind of down-to-earth-hey-iam-just-here-to-have-fun style of writing. Seeing you go is tough.

I was already asking myself for months as to why I stay on this website and you just made it that much harder to answer that. Guess we’ll see how long it will take me to say bye, bye.

You’ll be missed, Dave. I wish you all the luck in the world for your future project.

#57 1 month ago
  58. onefivefive

Thanks for all the great writing and a fantastic send-off article. Best ‘o luck in the future.

#58 1 month ago
  59. Armitage Shanks

Sad to see you go Dave,but i cant blame you,it genuinely seems like the constant negativity and douchebaggery gets to you.You are best thing about this site by far,i dont post much on here but check the site every day for the past few years,Unfortunately the people who constantly spout negativity pretty damn militantly will always be the most vocal…you know who they are,enjoyed reading your backhanded reply’s to them especially, that one time you outright told king troll himself to f**k off ahhh good times.

#59 1 month ago
  60. Rafa_L

Hey Dave, you were the writer here that I liked the most, you will be missed.

#60 1 month ago
  61. Dave Cook

@Game Hunter praise the sun dude :) thank you!

#61 1 month ago
  62. Dave Cook

@dazedonthemoon thanks dude, I really appreciate the feedback :) cheers for reading all my work!

@darkfield that’s cool that you came here to check out my new articles. Feedback like that always makes me smile :D Thanks on the novel too. It should be out this year :) cheers dude!

@dragon man those two years felt like they flew by too. I genuinely believe that was down to it always being fun. Appreciate the feedback and thanks for your words on the book. I’ve been working on it for three years and it’s almost done. Incredible feeling :D

#62 1 month ago
  63. Dave Cook

@szu thank you! :D

@conqueror it’s awesome I was able to give off a good first impression :) you can also check out my new novel at http://www.theseventhcircle.co.uk it should be out this year. Cheers for the support!

@youngzero this is amazing feedback! yeah I always tried to keep it humble and down to earth, never really thinking I was above you guys. I liked to think I was.always right there among the gamers because I love this hobby so much :) it’s been a pleasure.writing for all of you!

#63 1 month ago
  64. Dave Cook

@oneonefive thanks for reading dude! :)

@armitage yeah the negativity often wore me down as it’s counter to how I feel about gaming. Thanks for the nice words on my writing too, that truly means a lot.

@rafa thanks mate, I’ll miss being here too!

#64 1 month ago
  65. Llewelyn_MT

Thanks for your quality writing. It was a privilege to read it. Great loss for the website and e-journalism at large. See your out there. Best of luck.

Wherever life takes you, game on!

#65 1 month ago
  66. Docker Al

Cheers Dave. It has been wonderful having a massive FPS fan writing on these pages and your writings on this subject in particular will be greatly missed – even if I didn’t always agree with you. I will be keeping tabs on your YouTube channel for sure. Thanks for all the informative and entertaining reads you’ve provided and all the best for the future.

#66 1 month ago
  67. silkvg247

How sad for the site! I wish you luck in your future endeavours. I have always enjoyed reading your articles, and you’re a down to earth, good, honest bloke.

Will you still be posting on the forums here as a part of the community?

#67 1 month ago
  68. Belmont

Thanks Dave, for all the amazing articles you posted here over the time. And for your positivity and your relaxed and calm attitude. Best wishes!
    and I will keep an eye on your novel thing (The Seventh Circle). Thanks again and Best wishes for best writer on VG247 !

#68 1 month ago
  69. lama

all the best to you dave…

#69 1 month ago
  70. Clupula

This makes me incredibly sad. Dave, you were my favorite writer on the site. I loved how you always took the time to interact with us all. I always found you fair, honest, and entertaining. Most importantly, those times where we’d have vastly differing opinions always felt like a debate between friends, rather than a fight. I know I can be confrontational and I neverfelt the need with you. I will definitely miss your work. If you ever find yourself in NYC, get in touch. We’ll get a mug (pints are metric and we don’t do metric in the land of football-in-plastic-armor-where-you-also-use-your-hands)of weak-ass American beer. USA! USA! Seriously, though, safe travels and good luck with the novel.

#70 1 month ago