Xbox One’s day one update will take 15-20 minutes to download, says Microsoft

Tuesday, 1st October 2013 09:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will have a day one update as soon as you fire it up, but Microsoft has stressed that it’s not overly big.

As part of an IGN ‘Ask Me Anything’ with Xbox One’s chief platform architect Marc Whitten, he said, “We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible. While we’re still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users.”

When asked if Microsoft planned to continue its trend of updating the Xbox 360 dashboard once or twice a year on Xbox One, Whitten replied, “Yes. Like we have done with Xbox 360, we will continue to learn from what customers want and love to iterate on the best dashboard experience.”

That’s going to be an excruciating 15-20 minutes for some fans. What do you think?

1. Lengendaryboss

What? 20 minutes: bah! pre-order cancelled :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hcw87

Ok, that’s 2 hours and 40 mins quicker than the WiiU updates then.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Joe Musashi

How are they able to speculate on a download time without detailing the size of the download itself? The latter would be far more useful information to end users.

JM

#3 1 year ago
  4. Templar_Dante

“How big is it?”

“20 Minutes big”

#4 1 year ago
  5. redwood

this is soooooooooooo bad.. I mean seriosuly? is this .. I just can’t .. I mean.. I .. I.. how could they do this to us.. we should start a petition somewhere.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Fin

Yeah it’s a real cop out of an answer.

“20 minutes…on 100mb fibre”

and

“20 minutes…on 14mb DSL” (average broadband speed in UK – http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/08/07/average-uk-broadband-speed-continues-to-rise/ )

#6 1 year ago
  7. Xbone

Why they dont just tell the size of the file it will download?
    Did they calculate that 500.000ppl will download it at the same time?

#7 1 year ago
  8. pukem0n

xbox 360 updates were always fast and done in 5 minutes.

hope they don’t become like the Wii U or PS3 updates now, that always take up half of your day ^^

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Why did people even think you would get a straight answer?!

No one at MS understands their own product, history has shown this yet people still act shocked!

#9 1 year ago
  10. dkpunk

Omg deal breaker! No file size = no buy!

#10 1 year ago
  11. Silent Killer01

“Microsoft has stressed that it’s not overly big.” well then why not just tell us the size?

We still don’t know much about expanding storage on the Xbox one consider it requires fulll install of Bluray disc. I see overpriced hard drive coming again.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Bloodstorm

Microsoft and their weird logic…
    Download must be express in size not time because time is relative to the bandwidth of the client and the availability of the server (and I anticipate they will be overcapacited on launch day).

#12 1 year ago
  13. tenthousandgothsonacid

That’s a lot of DRM they’ve got to patch out.

#13 1 year ago
  14. mistermogul

@13 lol

#14 1 year ago
  15. bradk825

I’ve waited since May, but I suppose another 20 minutes won’t kill me.

It might, through a series of events that begins with me going to the kitchen to grab something to snack on while I wait, and ending in the emergency room, sensing only a copperly smell and the sounds of panic as everything fades to black.

But probably not.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Bloodstorm

Can I have the XBone for free if I guess the error number ?

#16 1 year ago
  17. monkeygourmet

I wonder who will have the smoothest launch?

I expect both consoles will have pretty big day 1 patches, then the games will need to be patched…

Kinect 2 will need calibration – scan your penis size etc…

Profiles to be synched… Tablet’s set up and app’s downloaded… Vita’s to be synched…

Man, it’s making me tired just thinking about it!

#17 1 year ago
  18. DrDamn

I’d think MS should have it covered off better than Sony, but they really need to as it’s required before you can reasonably do anything isn’t it?

They both have decent sized existing user bases though on their networks, so a blip of 1-2m people isn’t going to have that big an impact is it? Sony are cunningly split over two dates too for the main releases.

#18 1 year ago
  19. monkeygourmet

Remember when consoles & games just had to ‘work’ on day 1?! :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. mightyhokie

He said ‘for most users’. Certainly they know what the average download speed is for their average user. You guys are reaching just to bash Xbox. Don’t buy the fucking thing.

#20 1 year ago
  21. bradk825

@17 If it needs to scan my penis size that won’t take long :-( LOL.

@18 Was the “decent sized user base” comment a reply to the penis scan? Just looking for clarification.

#21 1 year ago
  22. taternuggets

@17 And don’t forget all the EULA’s to read through.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Sanwiches

@17 “synched” lol. It sounds funny to me.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Eregol

@18 I should imagine both companies will have their launches covered fine.
    Sony reps have already got PS4s at home, and I’d guess MS reps have Xbox Ones as well. No reason why both consoles wont be perfectly capable from minute one.

#24 1 year ago
  25. FuntimeBen

@4 Exactly. I’m going to start talking about all file sizes in minutes.

#25 1 year ago
  26. yeoung

I was trying to move some files onto my flash drive, but it only has 11 minutes of space left.

I turned back my computer clock, but it’s not working… What now?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Bloodstorm

@24 The fact that the rep got working consoles is in no way indicative of a smooth launch…
    It all comes down to the mandatory first time launch update and how well the servers will handle it!
    I don’t think it will be mandatory for the PS4 but an update will certainly be available on launch day because of the timespan between manufacturing and release day.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Eregol

@27 If the reps have working consoles at home then that means the UIs are functioning correctly.
    There are obviously possible optimisations in the works, but at the moment the UIs would be perfectly functional.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Lv01

@26 hahahahahahaha!

#29 1 year ago
  30. Bloodstorm

So a download of 30/40 watts ?

#30 1 year ago
  31. fearmonkey

The question I want to know is if I buy an Xbone at launch, and I don’t have internet, can I play a game?

I of course have internet but I am wondering about some others out there that don’t know about all the Xbone DRM hoopla and will find themselves locked out and confused.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Bloodstorm

@31 No you can’t, you need and update to remove “the need to be connected”.
    Yeah… I know…