Agarest: Generations of War pre-purchase now open on Steam at 20% off, bonuses inside

Tuesday, 17th September 2013 09:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Agarest: Generations of War co-developers Idea Factory, Red Entertainment and Compile Heart have launched Steam pre-purchasing for the action-RPG. Get in before it launches on October 3 and get 20% off the asking price, along with some DLC.

You’ll find the game’s Steam hub here, along with a trailer and some screens.

Order before the game launches and you’ll also get a DLC bundle with the following packs included:

• Upgrade Pack 1
  • Upgrade Pack 2
  • Dull-Things Pack
  • Fallen Angel Pack
  • Magic Fighter Pack
  • Legendary Monster Pack
  • Basic Adventure Pack

Check out the game above and let us know what you think. To me it looks like a spin on the Disgaea format, which is no bad thing by any stretch.

Via Polygon.

1. dizzygear

This game is awful and is nowhere near as good as Disgaea.

Why Ghostlight picked this game of all games to debut on STEAM is beyond me.

#1 10 months ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

Not only is there a lot of quality game to be found in Agarest, but Ghostlight have priced it fantastically, for a platform debut! It would be brilliant if this was to be just the start of this super publisher’s involvement catering to players on PC :D
    @1: There’s nothing terrible about the game. Anybody that wants to play Disgaea has numerous opportunities to do so, already, and others yet bound to arrive.

@Dave You’re right. The combat is definitely from the Disgaea school, but it’s a bit more involved than the early editions of that series, and the “Generations” referred to in the title relate to the other aspect of the game. The girls in the trailer, one of whom will bear the heir to the original character you play. There’s a fun, comedic aspect introduced as you try to court one while not reducing the effectiveness of the other party members, all the while managing your battle-readiness, buying/selling items for all of your forces…So, there is a lot of RPG influence, away from the strategy found in the encounters.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Metroid455

@2 absolutely spot on (^-^)

There’s nothing wrong with IF/Compile Heart games, they’re VERY Japanese and proud of it. yes they’re not perfect yes they appeal to a specific market but that doesn’t make them terrible. If you don’t like them that’s cool, play something else then.

#3 10 months ago
  4. TheWulf

I don’t know. I’m hard pressed to feel convinced that this is somehow ‘more Japanese’ than Disgaea. I still remember the Disgaea games, not to mention the Prinny platformer, and even the visual novel. They were utterly bizarre in wonderful ways. By comparison, this seems more like a generic, Western thing. Which is kind of sad.

Yeah, I get that other people like it and that’s awesome. Really awesome. Still, I can’t help but wish it had been Disgaea 4 I was looking at here as a PC release, as it appeals to my quest for novelty more than this game does. I’m not sure what really stands out as this game’s ‘character.’ And simply having an Asian art-style and an airship doesn’t cut it for me. I haven’t seen anything that says what makes this game so succinctly its own thing.

If I’ve got the wrong impression, then they’re just not marketing it very well. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if I’m proved to be wrong, but what I don’t need right now is a more generic fantasy setting.

#4 10 months ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zqwn4kxdmI < A layman's take on Agarest.

(Even at the outset, he admits to not caring much for the genre, but it turns out that he got sent the game by a viewer to his channel, so he decided to drop a video detailing his thoughts on it – includes some gameplay.)

#5 10 months ago