Japanese charts: Disney Magic Castle beats Killer is Dead & Pikmin 3

Thursday, 8th August 2013 09:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life has debuted at number one in the official Media Create gaming charts, beating fellow heavyweights Killer is Dead and Pikmin 3 to claim victory. I have absolutely no idea what it is.

It’s a 3DS romp that includes shopping, dressing up, fishing and battles. It looks a bit like Animal Crossing set in the Disney universe at a glance.

Here’s the full software chart:

• 1. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life (Namco Bandai, 08/01/13) – 119,154 (New)
  • 2. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (Capcom, 07/25/13) – 40,203 (290,419)
  • 3. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (Nintendo, 07/18/13) – 32,537 (176,230)
  • 4. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo, 04/18/13) – 21,313 (1,330,780)
  • 5. [PS3] Killer is Dead (Kadokawa Games, 08/01/13) – 17,709 (New)
  • 6. [PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights (NIS, 07/25/13) – 16,131 (65,340)
  • 7. [PSV] Mind 0 (Acquire, 08/01/13) – 15,575 (New)
  • 8. [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) – 13,819 (115,119)
  • 9. [PSV] Dragon’s Crown (Atlus, 07/25/13) – 13,772 (84,855)
  • 10. [PS3] Dragon’s Crown (Atlus, 07/25/13) – 13,714 (118,074)
  • 11. [3DS] Fantasy Life Link! (Level-5, 07/25/13) – 10,487 (28,721)
  • 12. [Wii U] Pikmin 3 (Nintendo, 07/11/13) – 10,342 (145,735)
  • 13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo, 11/08/12) – 9,620 (3,354,784)
  • 14. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (Nintendo, 06/13/13) – 8,481 (235,176)
  • 15. [Wii U] LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo, 07/25/13) – 7,772 (25,971)
  • 16. [3DS] Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo, 03/21/13) – 7,595 (850,134)
  • 17. [PS3] Earth Defense Force 2025 (D3 Publisher, 07/04/13) – 7,445 (230,292)
  • 18. [3DS] Danball Senki W Super Custom (Level-5, 07/18/13) – 7,287 (45,325)
  • 19. [PSP] Shiratsuyu no Kai (Idea Factory, 08/01/13) – 6,187 (New)
  • 20. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! (Nihon Colombia, 07/25/13) – 6,016 (14,853)

And here’s the hardware chart:

• 1. 3DS LL – 57,940 (36,350)
  • 2. 3DS – 17,747 (18,625)
  • 3. PlayStation Vita – 17,702 (19,866)
  • 4. PlayStation 3 – 11,743 (11,900)
  • 5. Wii U – 10,038 (11,373)
  • 6. PSP – 6,314 (6,024)
  • 7. Wii – 1,327 (1,442)
  • 8. Xbox 360 – 288 (318)

Thanks Gematsu.

1. OmegaSlayer

System seller Pikmin3 LOL

#1 12 months ago
  2. Francis O

Four weeks total before Pikmin 3 – 26623 Wii U’s sold
    Four weeks total after Pikmin 3 – 57,890 Wii U’s sold

I guess it was just luck The Wii U’s sales rose 117% after Pikmin 3 launched

#2 12 months ago
  3. Clupula

Check out that momentum on the Wii U.

Negative momentum, but momentum, nonetheless.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Clupula

Whoa, getting dizzy again.

You keep doing that much spin, Francis, I’m going to get vertigo.

#4 12 months ago
  5. Francis O

Clupula bringing that salt to Nintendo. Did Reggie beat you up or something?

Spin, where? That’s the truth. You can’t counter with facts so you dismiss it as spin. Troll harder Clupula, you might be as good as me someday.

#5 12 months ago
  6. Clupula

Well, at least you admit you’re a troll.

But the fact is that the Wii U had ONE good week. And that’s what pushed those sales up. Take away that week and it’s just like all the others they’ve had: abysmal. It was just a temporary bump in sales with an almost immediate cool down.

Trying to make it out that the system is doing well is exactly what I said: spin.

#6 12 months ago
  7. Clupula

As for Reggie, I’m not sure why his face brings out the violent hooligan I was in high school out, but it does. I just don’t like his ridiculous giant pumpkin head. It pisses me off. He just looks like such a fucking tool, I want to punch him.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Francis O

Yeah, I know I troll you guys here. I already admitted that a long time ago. It’s fun to troll stupid people.

The Wii U was averaging around 5-8K before Pikmin 3

Since Pikmin 3′s release the Wii U has averaged over 10K minimum, even if you subtract the 22,199 on Pikmin 3′s launch. Which is far above the 5-8K they usually averaged.

Temporary bump isn’t 1 month Clupula. You might want to try actually looking at the numbers before you comment. I’m saying Pikmin 3 helped move consoles. It’s doing a lot better than it did prior to Pikmin 3. No spin on that.

P.S. – I’ve seen how skinny you are, Reggie would knock your a$$ out.

- Yakuza 1&2 HD, The Wondeful 101, both coming this month in August. Sales should shoot up a bit next week.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Clupula

@8 – Hahaha…speed counts for a lot in a fight. Speed and the willingness to cheat like a motherfucker. With how much of a smartass I am, you can’t tell me that you don’t think people haven’t tried to kick my ass in the past. Quite frequently, actually. But it isn’t about always about size.

Now, saying that, if fucking Brock Lesnar wants to fight me, I’m probably going to end up in a hospital, but he’s the exception. Reggie? I could take Reggie. He doesn’t look fast and his head is a big target.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Clupula

Do you really think that a collection of two PS2 games that has already been out for a year on PS3 in Japan is going to make even the slightest impact on sales? Come on. I love the Yakuza series but that is NOT going to sell systems.

Maybe a Wii U exclusive Yakuza 6 would, but that’s not happening, anyway.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Francis O

You’re too skinny Clupula, you need to get in the weightroom a bit.

Yakuza will help a little bit. Not much, but a little “bit”.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Clupula

You want something for your Youtube channel, arrange a fight between me and Reggie. lol

You could even do pre-fight interviews and everything.

And if he wins, I’d even buy a Wii U.

And if I win, which I would, I…no, beating up Reggie would be its own reward.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Clupula

No, wait! I win, Iwata resigns.

Since we’re going with a hypothetical situation anyway, that’d be my stipulation.

Most of the younger minds in Nintendo would probably root for me, secretly.

#13 12 months ago
  14. OmegaSlayer

Look at the data from another perspective.
    In a month Pikmin 3 was bought by 15% of Japanese WiiU fanbase, the biggest WiiU fanbase.
    AND so far the WiiU adopters are clearly not casuals, but hardcore gamers and Nintendo supporters.
    Such an iconic game, waited so much, and considered to be able to turn the luck of the console did so few.
    Take your guess.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Francis O

Nintendo needs a improvement in sales, and Pikmin 3 provided that. A lot more systems have been sold because of Pikmin 3, fact. What happens when bigger franchises like Sonic (october) , Donkey Kong (November), Mario (December), Wii Fit U (December), and Zelda (September) hit the platform?

And Pikmin is by no means “iconic” Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong are “iconic”….Pikmin is like F-Zero or Star Fox. 2nd tier.

#15 12 months ago
  16. OmegaSlayer

You must make peace with yourself.
    You and other Nintendo fans.

You kept saying wait for Pikmin 3.
    Pikmin 3 released and now you say wait for Donkey Kong.

You put hopeless milestones just to move them a bit further.
    It’s sad.
    Very sad to see you clinging desperately to forthcoming games.

If Pikmin 3 didn’t sell, how is Wonderful 101 supposed to sell?
    We’re in an economic crisis, and gaming is already a pricey hobby, there’s no way that people that has to pay bills, have families and they’re not extra rich are going to buy a system for 2-3 games.

The problem here is not Nintendo games, it’s the company being so self-centered to not understand the real needs of the market.

#16 12 months ago
  17. Professor Zoom

#15 A LOT more systems? Evidence please?

#17 12 months ago
  18. The_Red

Francis, I know you’re not a troll and are trying to look at this in a more positive light but that Pikmin didn’t help sell “a lot more” systems.

It provided a small boost. Saying Pikmin 3 didn’t do anything is wrong but it is also as wrong to say it provided any real improvements. A one week spike (UK and J territories) doesn’t mean a thing for a failing console.

#18 12 months ago
  19. viralshag

Clupula, I have one thing to say to you…

Do you even lift, bro?

#19 12 months ago
  20. Joe Musashi

@16 Use this. It’s quicker.

JM

#20 12 months ago
  21. NeoSquall

@20 Why no “Firing Reggie?” in that list? :D

Anyway, I’m more shocked that KiD made only to 4th place, below all 3DS games.
    Or maybe I should be happy that such a nich game actually made it to 4th place in the first week?

#21 12 months ago
  22. OmegaSlayer

For once I was really trying to avoid being a dick LOL
    Not saying you are though LOL.

#22 12 months ago
  23. monkeygourmet

It’s weird when Nintendo games cover 13/20 of the chart and 2 of it’s consoles are in first and second place, yet it’s still a bad situation…

#23 12 months ago
  24. Clupula

@20 – Hahahahahah

#24 12 months ago
  25. Joe Musashi

@23 That’s a very convenient way of looking at it. The issue being discussed focuses on a specific title and its influence on the expected growth of Wii U hardware sales.

But, of course, you carefully side-step that detail, make a separate observation and then imply that your observation dismisses the points raised in the ones made by others. The one that you’re going out of your way to overlook.

It’s precisely this behaviour and the faux-innocent manner in which you and other brand loyalist convey it that people who aren’t so narrow minded take issue with. It’s manipulation, pure and simple. And your continual pretence at not knowing how manipulative you’re trying to be convinces nobody. Because, typically, within 24 hours, you’ll use the exact opposite of that logic if it means you can still present your favoured brand in a good light.

Stop the pretence and manipulation.

JM

#25 12 months ago
  26. viralshag

@23, It’s a bad situation for the WiiU for sure. It’s the newest console on the market and has two games in the top twenty. On hardware it’s being beaten by a 7 year old console.

How’s it a good situation?

#25 beat me to it.

#26 12 months ago
  27. Clupula

@23 – Are we counting the different iterations of the 3DS as 2 different consoles now?

#27 12 months ago
  28. monkeygourmet

I agree, the Wii U is faltering.

I don’t know what else to say about it. Iwata is even making comments RE third party publishing.

But ultimatly it belongs under the Nintendo banner for better or worse. And the fact it has support from other area’s dosen’t mean all it’s eggs are in one basket.

It’s just the reverse of the PS3 / Vita situation IMO, and I see far less mention of people saying Sony should scrap the Vita.

All I can attest to are the games I play on a system, the Wii U has some good games. It doesn’t mean that my opinion is going to save the device, but it does mean that anyone interested in gaming should check one out at some point rather than dismissing it.

#28 12 months ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

I see plenty of people saying Wii U and PS Vita should be scraped: i just wonder if they are the same people who said DS/3DS/PS3/PSP are doomed?

#29 12 months ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Yes, that would be interesting! :)

To be fair, I see a lot less on the Vita front recently, and in my eye’s, the problems both consoles have are very similar:

Price, Games.

#30 12 months ago
  31. Francis O

Sales of the Wii U have improved by 117% since Pikmin 3′s launch. Do they have ways to go? Of course, but lets not write off what Pikmin 3 did to Wii U’s sales.

Before Pikmin 3, the Wii U was selling around 5-8K a week, since Pikmin3′s launch the sales have never dipped below 10K, and like I said, if Pikmin, a 2nd tier franchise has this effect, what happens when Mario, Zelda, Wii Fit, and bigger franchises drop?

You guys can buy time bashing the numbers now with limited software, but when the big games come, you guys better have the DC ready.

#31 12 months ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

@Francis
    Yawn, change the channel: doing the exact same comment over and over and over again expecting shit to change.

#32 12 months ago
  33. Professor Zoom

#31 What about when Killer is Dead, GTA 5, Titanfall, Saints Row 4, Lost Planet 3, Ryse, Kinect Sports Rivals, Battlefield 4, Ghosts, Diablo 3, Dead Rising 3, L4D3 and Sunset Overdrive are out in addition with the huge Xbox One and PS4 demands? What will happen then? Won’t it be too late for the Wii 2 to comeback in spring 2014 when those are out and have already taken over the console market?

#33 12 months ago