Nintendo: talk of company’s financials is “silly”, says Miyamoto

Wednesday, 12th June 2013 10:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo veteran Shigeru Miyamoto has called chatter around the company’s financials “silly” in a new interview. The developer believes that the focus should lie on Nintendo’s games, not the business side.

When asked about Nintendo missing its financial forecasts last year, Miyamoto told GI.biz, “Well, first of all, the entertainment industry is one that is inherently unstable and if people decide that they no longer need entertainment anymore then there’s no way for you to make money off of that.

“Because of the waves in the entertainment industry and the way the cycles move, personally I feel that aiming for a specific numerical goal is almost silly, and instead our focus should be on doing our best to create something that’s new and unique.

“So all of this talk of ‘Oh is Nintendo going to hit its numbers? Is Mr. Iwata responsible?’ and all these discussions I think are just silly ones to have because Mr. Iwata is managing our company and I don’t think there’s anyone better to manage it than him.”

Miyamoto added, “I’m really focused on creating the most fun and unique experiences I can so that the entertainment can appeal to a very broad audience, and we’re having fun doing that. So certainly I think there are other industries where I think their chance to appeal to a broad audience has been lost, but I still think within our industry we have a lot of opportunity to do that.”

What’s your view? Can Nintendo make waves as the growing appetite for gaming hits peaks going into next-gen, or does it face an uphill financial battle against PS4 and Xbox One? Let us know below.

1. monkeygourmet

What games lol…

Ninendo are becoming the ‘Miyazaki’ of gaming…

I think the need to learn to ‘hand over’ projects to other devs more quickly. Luigi’s Mansion 2 being a good example of whats possible.

Has anyone seen ‘Jiro Dreams of Sushi’?

Great movie, but Miyamoto comes off exactly like ‘Jiro’ in the film…

#1 10 months ago
  2. Bomba Luigi

The Theory is good. The Execution not so good so far…

#2 10 months ago
  3. aseddon130

3 game releases this holiday do not guarantee your system will sell, you need more than that and Wii U simply doesn’t have it.

#3 10 months ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

The point I would consider such talk not silly, is when you are interested in the well-being, the health of the console that you own and enjoy. For as much as that directly leads in to the wealth of software, the value and choice that you are likely to be able to access. Other than that, I don’t believe that financials should be the most immediate measure.
    Also, for a creative person like Miyamoto, it’s surely not too tough to understand how they might not consider that something that is high on their focus list.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Fin

This was my favourite bit from that interview

“In fact, we actually did consider showing it at E3 this year but we were worried that if we showed the new Wii U Zelda game then that would attract all of the focus, and really what we want people to be aware of and pay attention to here at E3 are the playable games like Pikmin 3 that we have coming in the immediate future, because a lot of fun is with the games that are coming out this year.”
    (emphasis mine)

Seriously, what company thinks like that?

#5 10 months ago
  6. SplatteredHouse

@3: For my interest, what Nintendo does not have is consistency. Positive consistency. There is a part of me that loves this idea that the games Nintendo make are for everyone.
    However, the warm and fuzzies fade out, when I consider their history. That I consider that they have NOT had a solid conveyor of releases that are aligned with the broadest range of software (with Wii, things deteriorated to the extent that all momentum was squandered) – Nintendo left a gaping, gashed release schedule which third-party publishers saw an opportunity to fill more often than not with pandering products, and they pushed the platform away, even as Nintendo began to lose control of it.
    Nintendo did not give an impression of being sound curators.

Matters became bad enough in perception (early on, mind you) of a European disparity, alongside Nintendo’s unwillingness, or inability to address it (they were, at that time – before Nintendo Directs, absolutely those were an inspired, praise-worthy idea, intelligently executed – as elusive and unsure of their stepping as Microsoft is, presently!) they became so bad, that a “third-party” took it upon themselves to enable users to enjoy the games, their way – through Freeloader.
    That was hugely popular. Users who were dissatisfied with the service and perceived “delay tactics” of the platform holder, set out to adjust the status quo. Nintendo’s response was not so much to address the situation that heralded that additional option, but to disable it.

I’d like to see them manage European audiences better.

As I suggested, I do feel that there are times where Nintendo get it right, but they’re isolated. Patchwork. I need to see consistency to buy their box.
    If they announce a new direction, I’d like to feel assured it has legs. That it won’t become an afterthought. Much of the release/variety consistency for them appears in the negative column. (they’re one machine of three, and will be viewed in comparison with, and taking into account the rest of the games market – especially whilst they’re holding up banners implying a renewed third-party support focus, and even now it feels like they’re shunting back to their old ways…)
    I’m left to feel a bit like a money lender with Nintendo with this, but to my appreciation, I’m just not satisfied that they have the “credit history” to make good on their claims atm.

#6 10 months ago
  7. NeutralBlade

Nintendo’s best year with the Wii U, so far is appears to be 2014. What they need to do this year, (along with the game releases), is cut the Wii U packages to $250/$300, while discontinuing the 8GB model at the same time.

Producing one model will lower manufacturing costs, so the price cut won’t effect them as much. The best Wii U package needs to be $100 cheaper than the PS4; which in turn would be $200 cheaper than the Xbone. Otherwise, Nintendo will struggle even further with increasing console sales. At the very least, I hope the price cut is announced sometime before the next-gen consoles are released.

#7 10 months ago
  8. salarta

Yes, talk of the company’s financials is silly now that the company’s financials are doing poorly.

What Miyamoto is saying now, that the quality of the games should take precedence over an obsession with the bottom line, is a good statement I can get behind, but it’s not the attitude Nintendo was putting out when the Wii was a smashing success. In fact, some of their decisions for a while there were directly opposed to the creation and promotion of quality over financials. It took the huge online campaign of Operation Rainfall for Nintendo of America to give us games of actual worth and quality at the same time they were obsessing over casual and shovelware junk because they expected the latter to sell millions and the former to not make them as much of a huge profit.

#8 10 months ago
  9. polygem

tell ém miyamoto! but don´t forget to deliver the pizza while it´s still hot! justasayiiing

#9 10 months ago