Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 producer says risk-taking stopped franchise becoming another Mega Man

Tuesday, 14th May 2013 11:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 producer Dave Cox has explained why taking risks with Mercury Steam’s 2010 reboot and reinventing the franchise has saved it from becoming another Mega Man, presumably due to Capcom’s struggles to bring the series into the modern age.

Speaking with Edge, Cox said, “We needed to make a change, so we did. The Castlevania series wasn’t going anywhere, sales were dwindling and it was appealing to only a very small hardcore base of fans. That’s how franchises die.

“The success of Lords of Shadow proved to everyone that there’s life in the series yet and that people could accept us going in a new direction, and we can do that again. We have to take these risks if Castlevania is to survive, otherwise it’s just going to be like Mega Man”.

You can check out snippets of the full print interview here, in which the team discuss how it handled the game’s modern-day settings to help them fall in line with the historical locales.

Do you agree though? Was Castlevania in dire need of a shake-up? Let us know below.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Atmey

Lord of Shadows barely sold half what Symphony of the Night, it is not about the “niche” genre, it is keeping your graphics up to date with similar gameplay mechanism, look at Street Fighter IV. The same could be said to Megaman.

Lords of Shadow is the worst single player Castlevania I played, and I played every one since Symphony of the Night.

2. Gheritt White

@1: Says a lot. I’ve played most Castlevania’s since Castlevania 3 and I really liked how the series returned to its roots with LoS.

3. Dave Cook

@1 Really? I thought Castlevania 2: Simon’s Quest and Portrait of Ruin were the worst.

Lords of Shadow has been one of my most-favourite games of the generation. We’re all different though, I know :)

4. Erthazus

I actually enjoyed New Castlevania and it’s not just a graphics update.

you don’t just update graphics in 3D games.

5. Mike W

To each their own, Personally I thought Portrait of Ruin was one of the best ones and I absolutely love LOS and can’t wait for LOS 2.

6. YoungZer0

Is the first Lords of Shadow really that good? The art-direction is a really big turn off for me to be honest.

I’m also kind of confused about LoS2. Who do you play exactly?

7. Mike W

Gabreil/Dracula

8. Gheritt White

I guess Trevor/Alucard is the end-boss, then… (not finished Mirror Of Fate yet).

9. YoungZer0

@7: Oh-kay. This is odd. So that means no Alucard. Too bad.

10. The_Red

He may or may not be right but… Mega Man? At this point Capcom is only a steps short of killing everyone who has ever worked on that series.

11. SameeR_Fisher

LoS is one of this generation gems to me, it is one hell of a game, only Darksiders 2 tops it and not for long.

The story in Castlevania Lords of Shadow was one of the best, really amazing, loved every moment of it, I can’t wait for LoS.2 it is simply my most anticipated title.

12. sh4dow

Guess what? Mega Man fans are fine with it staying basically the same way it has always been.

And I am just as fine with the Castlevania concept. Symphony of the Night was the beginning of probably THE best action RPG series I know. And for me, it died with Lords of Shadow. Not interested. Not even a bit.
    Visual improvements like with the DS Castlevanias? Bring it on. But ditching a gameplay concept that was always great and the only thing that was always needed was more content? I don’t like it one bit.
    I wouldn’t mind all that Lords of Shadow stuff if it wouldn’t be basically the ONLY thing done with the Castlevania franchise these days.

13. Cobra951

I’m one from that “small hardcore base”. Dracula’s Curse (NES) opened my eyes to the series back in its day, and from there I went on to play all of them through the GBA iterations, including SotN on PS1. Then I played the LoS demo, and was horrified. This isn’t Castlevania! It may be a worthy game, but slap another name on it. Castlevania, like Metroid, has certain requirements. It can go 3D and remain true to the expected structure, mechanics and progression–look at Metroid Prime. But LoS is something else entirely. It’s more like a common story-heavy action adventure, where you’re led by the nose from cutscene to cutscene. I may yet play it someday, but when it came out, I couldn’t see rewarding the departure from what makes the series special.

14. JGMR

Franchises don’t die, they get killed because a lot of companies force endless sequels to already perfect games. After the third part, most franchises can be certified dead. Resident Evil died a looooooong time ago, and so did Castlevania and Silent Hill. The only thing that’s justified in my opinion is a completely improved remake of a game, like they did with Resident Evil for the Gamecube; that is perfecting a masterpiece.

15. Gheritt White

C:LoS *is* a “completely improved reboot”, if you ask me. Also, how is it so dissimilar to Super Castlevania IV on the SNES? IMHO it played like that, but in fixed-camera 3D.

I thought it was very faithful to the atmosphere of the original, pre-SoTN games and also gave it a welcome Del Toro artistic twist.

16. Hunam

Lords of Shadow was such a part baked game though. The story was… off, the First 3rd of the game was 10/10 quality tbh, then it got a bit worse, then a lot worse, and then the badlands bit and the final Lord who was laughable. But the ending cutscene was fucking amazing. I do really like the game, but it’s weird and wonky and brilliant and terrible.