Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection announced for the Americas

Tuesday, 23rd April 2013 03:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

There’s no word on a PAL territory release yet, but Konami will bring Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection to North and South America in a few months.

The Legacy Collection includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition.

It also bundles in two graphic novels by Ashley Wood and, as a bonus for MGS 3, the MSX originals Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. The collection does not include Portable Ops, the only console game released under the Solid title which did not make the cut.

A PlayStation 3 exclusive, The Legacy Collection is apparently designed to give you “the opportunity to experience the series from beginning to end, all on one console”. It is due in June.

We can probably expect announcements for other territories soon; the collection was spotted on the Korean classification database last week.

The Metal Gear Solid series has sold 33 million units to date, Konami noted. The next instalment is Metal Gear Solid 5, which includes Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain.

1. SlayerGT

Does this lead to believe Phantom Pain or Ground Zeros or are not part of the “series”? Also, in the Phantom Pain trailer the doc tells “snake” he’s been in a coma for 9 years..which is strange because there’s no part in THIS ^ series that that could be possible. I’m beginning to believe most everything in the PP trailer is fake. A dream or even possibly going on while boss is in a coma..or undergoing surgery to fix his phantom limb. I know one thing, I’m ready to play 5.

#1 1 year ago
  2. theevilaires

Yes thank the Heavens its not coming out for the XBOX360! :D
    I am a happy camper. The Legacy of Metal Gear Solid should always stay on a PlayStation console only. I’m going to buy this day 1 in honor/respect of David Hayter…the one and only true Snake.

Damn I wished we could get a MGS1 in the form of MGS4 for this Legacy collection. SONY should have fronted the money for that at least.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Judicas

Poor form, should have been released on ps4. No way I’m buying this when none of it will work by the end of the year.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

@3 – Oh, get off it! Your PS3 isn’t going to explode when the PS4 is released. Why are people so bloody stupid about that?!? I don’t plan on buying one for, at least, a full two years, so I am very happy to see this as well as a few 2014 PS3 announcements.

#4 1 year ago
  5. juantonio86

Actually big boss was nine years in comma, when he was like that,is when le efants terribles project is done

#5 1 year ago
  6. SlayerGT

@5 Juan I’m pulling my info from the MGS4Database app on PS3. I believe it’s between 67 to 1971 that there exist a gap where Fox ended and Foxhound was created. Not that I expect Kojima to keep things perfectly cohesive..but damn if he hasn’t pulled it off so far. Big Boss shuts down Fox. In Ground Zeros he still wears the patch. By the end of GZs we should see how things end with Fox. I’m pretty confident most of what is seen in PP are hallucinations. I think the floating figure is Paz, who i think Boss is upset he couldn’t save and is being haunted by. I didn’t think I’d be as excited for another MGS…I don’t know why :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. salarta

@6: Just a quick and minor interjection, I was under the impression that the MGS4 database on PS3 was inaccurate on many issues. Then again, I haven’t touched it in years.

#7 1 year ago
  8. SlayerGT

My bad I meant 64 to 70. This is from the wiki..however accurate it is.

1972 “Big Boss grows tired of Zero’s lust for power, and of playing the role of a puppet.

Big Boss is wounded in Vietnam and falls into a coma. Using this opportunity to try and preserve their messiah in the event that Big Boss leaves, Zero finalizes the Les Enfants Terribles project. Para-Medic, now operating under her real name of Dr. Clark, injects Big Boss’s DNA into eggs donated by her Japanese assistant. EVA agrees to serve as a surrogate mother.

Nine months later, the project produces the twins Solid Snake and Liquid Snake. Big Boss, infuriated, quits the Patriots, leaving America, and FOXHOUND, behind. Some time later, the project successfully produces another clone, Solidus Snake. EVA and Ocelot begin to lose faith in Zero and the Patriots.

Big Boss creates the Militaires Sans Frontières. Big Boss travels to Vietnam and supplies aid to the Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols. He later supplies aid for the Studies and Observations Group, the U.S. Rangers, and the Green Berets as well as a mercenary group known as the Wild Geese. He was later in the year hired by the Colombian Government to work with the Colombian Army. During this time, Big Boss’ unit ambushed Kazuhira Miller and his guerrilla unit (Miller was a mercenary working with the guerrilla), wiping out his unit and almost killing Miller. Eventually Miller became MSF’s second in command.”

This is the only time he’s in a comma and it doesn’t seem like for long. Not to mention Big Boss almost killing Miller..which looks to be in one of the trailers.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SlayerGT

@7 Its all good just speculation on my part. I would understand if it was a bit off seeing as it was created before Peace Walker. I can’t wait to see how he pulls it all together again. If 5 is indeed connected to all other MGS’s.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Lengendaryboss

EU left in the dust again, wait a second portable ops isn’t a console game its portable PSP game which has not made it to consoles strangely.

#10 1 year ago
  11. CyberMarco

@2 Why are you so close minded regarding the exclusivity?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Lengendaryboss

^Well i also like the exclusivity for different reasons.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

Exclusivity is not a bad thing, at all, in my opinion.

I think when every system plays every game, everything gets watered down to the lowest common denominator.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

I do really wish they’d make a PS3 version of Portable Ops already.

#14 1 year ago
  15. CyberMarco

@12 such as?

For me, in an ideal world, there should be no console manufactures rivalries. For example, Microsoft/Sony etc. would only create/publish/license games where I can play them on various hardwares/PC/consoles.

Imagine if video games where like DVD movies, I can buy movies from WB/Universal/Disney and play them on whatever DVD player I have. Or like music on cell phones.

In the long run, there would be more money and less risks in comparison with today’s strategies.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@15 – I would absolutely hate to live in that world.

Competition is what made previous generations great and why this one was lacking. When everything was playable everywhere, no one strove to top the other, except in things like timed-exclusive DLC.

Exclusivity on one system lead to the creation of things like Streets of Rage, Splinter Cell, and Sonic on another.

I fear a world with no competition. Then developers will have no reason to innovate. Someone one said, “Coveting one’s neighbor is what keeps the economy going.” The same applies to games.

#16 1 year ago
  17. grizzlycake

@16 You’re thinking of a world where there’s only one console. That’s something completely different of what CyberMarco was trying to say.

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

@16 Who said there’ll be no competition?

What if there where various consoles/hardware (maybe PC-like) where you could play Gran Turismo AND Forza series. Sony and Microsoft would still try to fight each other over the consumers to deliver the best experience possible, same thing with other franchises. There will always be competition nevertheless.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@18 – No, because the same applies to hardware. Why innovate or try anything new if you don’t have another manufacturer/first party company to compete against?

I don’t see Konami and Capcom competing over software, since they’re all third party publishers. The fans may have made MGR vs DmC a contest, but in the eyes of either company, neither game was made to destroy the other. The only third party competition I can think of is COD vs. Battlefield. That is not the norm. It wouldn’t be the norm.

A world without exclusive games or consoles is a sad, grey world that lacks balls.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Clupula

The argument against exclusives usually boils down to the unrealistic concept of “fairness,” something life is not nor has ever nor ever will be. Offer me the most toys to my liking and I’ll buy your product. And make your toys better than the toys the other guy is offering and I’ll be proud to buy them.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Lengendaryboss

@cybermarco
    Well i believe that games can achieve their highest potential when exclusive (then ported to other platforms) and games can be watered down for the lowest common denominator like clupula stated, just looking at MGS4 and MGRR there is a clear graphical difference. So its not like i like other platforms suffering, i just want devs to achieve their highest potential with their game.

#21 1 year ago
  22. osric90

Does anybody know which ones are digital releases and which ones come on a disc?

#22 1 year ago
  23. theevilaires

@11 its just best that some games stay exclusive to one console to preserve its memories and legacy as one of the best in the industry. I believe Gears shouldn’t come to a PlayStation platform either because Gears defined next gen for this current gen in such a big way you can’t but help think of the XBOX360 when you say Gears.

I think Devil May Cry, Ace Combat, and Final Fantasy all lost its glamour and appeal once it became multiplat and thats why those games aren’t as huge as they use to be and Capcom had to reboot Tomb Raider and DMC because of that. I also believe this is the reason why we haven’t seen Onimusha this gen or FF Versus 13 yet. I bet a lot of Japanese devs feel the same way about the legacy and special feel for their games.

#23 1 year ago