Drakengard 3 produces first screenshots

Thursday, 14th March 2013 04:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Get through the break immediately and gaze with wheezing lust at these blood-spattered first screenshots from Drakengard 3.

You’ll notice our hero, Zero, getting pretty messy; as she absorbs more blood, her songstress powers increase. You’ll also see her riding a dragon because shut up that’s why.

Drakengard 3 was announced in Famitsu this week, and Square Enix has opened a website under the Japanese title, whence these screens were harvested. It’s the product of Deadly Premonition developer Access Games along with some old friends – Nier and Drakengard veterans from the Cavia days.

The PlayStation 3 exclusive is expected sometime in 2013 and has not been confirmed for the west. Nevertheless, I am more excited by this news than by anything that’s happened this year. Flip tables and rampage in the streets.

Thanks Gematsu <3

1. xino

looks like a ps2 game:/

2. Dragon246

@1,
    I agree. Looks really bad. PS3 Exclusives have much higher standards than this.

3. Brenna Hillier

What a good thing I don’t think graphics are the be all and end all of game design \o/

4. atlans89

More like a portable game, 3DS or Vita welcome ya.

Honestly, SE should do something about this.

5. Clupula

You guys who are complaining about the graphics have probably never played Nier, then. Ugliest protagonist model in the history of videogames. One of the most engaging awesome stories ever. A game I completely recommend everyone try from the same people as this.

6. Clupula

Personally, these screens make me even more anxious to play this. I so hope this gets localized.

7. atlans89

@Clupula: I admit that I haven’t played Nier and I’m into story driven games. But given time, it’s natural for me to expect something surpass the predecessor in quality. I know Cavia no longer exist, and I can’t have high hope from Access Game, since visual is not their strong point, hearing old Cavia staff light some hope in me. But in the end, if this is how final game look like, I still find myself hard to accept it.

8. chaoszage

I expect very good graphics but after seeing those screenshots,totally disappointed. SE,this is another reason that your sale will getting loss and loss.

9. Clupula

Then all I can say is that it’ll be your loss. The first Drakengard game had really bad graphics, even for a PS2 title, but the story is what made it special. Same with Nier, which did not have PS3 level graphics, but is one of my favorite experiences this gen.

Not everything has to look like God of War or Uncharted for me to enjoy it. Hell, I love Disgaea and the new one barely looks better than a PS1 title.

10. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    Now now, that also depends on art style. Disgaea is fine as its cartoony style doesnt require realism.
    But here these graphics really comes across as developers laziness, nothing else. PS3 has JRPGS that have both great storyline and awesome graphics/art-style, best example is VC.
    Its even worse if they have as awesome a sound team as you were saying earlier. Only improving graphics would allow this game so many new buyers.
    I haven’t played Nier btw. Maybe this year…

11. dizzygear

NieR’s graphics were fine. I personally thought it added to the surreal atmosphere of the game. These screenshots are actually rather refreshing after being cheated with bullshots all these years.

And hell yeah im hyped for this game. I never thought we’d see another Drakengard after Cavia’s demise.

12. Clupula

@10 – Well, if graphics matter that much to you, you’ll probably be disappointed by Nier.

13. Gnosis

Wow, I’m not a graphics whore, but this looks just terrible. And aside from that some of her “poses” are physically impossible. Dude, does she even have a spine?

14. Clupula

You apparently don’t know some of the women I do.

15. Gnosis

@14: And you needed my comment to realize that?

16. Clupula

@15 – I don’t know. Hanging out with contortionists is a normal thing for me.

17. ManuOtaku

Nier was a great game, and i agree the graphcis suited the overall tone of the game, although the protagonist was really ugly, but this reminds me the long discussions about wii graphics, really there is a lot of great games on wii that not look like HD consoles, like nier, and like nier they deserve to be played by all gamers.