Age of Empires 2 HD is heading exclusively to Steam in April

Thursday, 7th March 2013 18:42 GMT By Phil Owen

Microsoft today announced that Hidden Path Entertainment has been working on an HD remake of Age of Empires 2, and they say it will arrive as a Steam exclusive on April 9.

The game will run you $20, but if you pre-purchase it’s $17.99. Pre-purchasers will be able to start playing on April 5, according to GameSpot.

This HD edition will include all of Age of Empires 2, all the way to the Conquerors expansion, and it will also have a competitive online mode. Four-packs of the game can be bought for $60.

The minimum specs for the game are as follows:

• Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Pro
  • Direct X 9 Capable GPU
  • 1.2GHz CPU
  • 1GB RAM
  • 2GB HDD

Are you guys amped for this?

1. SplatteredHouse

It supporting Steam Workshop out-of-the-box is also a really nice thing!

#1 1 year ago
  2. woe

Does this mean Halo 2 and Halo 3 are also headed to Steam?

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

One of the best RTS games of all time. :D

trailer:

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hunam

Even Microsoft have given up on GFWL :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. MadFingerz

Oh Glory, I love this game!

With this and TW:R2 I’ll have my RTS fill for the foreseeable future.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Pytox

Microsoft in need of some money?

#6 1 year ago
  7. OnionPowder

@6 More like Microsoft listening to what fans want.

I am so buying a copy of this for myself and my father! I can’t wait, I used to play all the time when I was younger.

#7 1 year ago
  8. deadstoned

@7 lol. Microsoft doesn’t really care too much, only about the money. Otherwise PC would have most of the Halo, Fable and Gears series. Plus all of their other classic titles like Rise of nations. They’ve released only garbage since 2007 for PC; GFWL crap, terrible ports and mediocre titles of once great franchises.

They’ve simply spotted that they have classic titles which with a little effort can be ‘monetized’(they love that word) easily. Besides £15 for a game released in 1999 is a bit steep. If they cared or were generous it’d be more like £7.99.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Old MacDonald

One of my all-time favourites. I feel it’s way too expensive, but I’m so overloaded with games that I probably won’t mind waiting for the inevitalbe Steam-sale.

#9 1 year ago
  10. OnionPowder

@8 You complain about GFWL on a Microsoft game that is exclusive to Steam. There literally is no fucking winning with people.

$20 isn’t steep for an actual update. $10 is what a lot of companies charge for straight up ports on GOG. This has HD textures, multi-monitor support and steam workshop support out of the box and it contains all of the expansion packs.

Also why would Microsoft port over all of their Xbox exclusive games to PC? I don’t see you complaining about InFamous 2 or Uncharted 3 not being on PC. Even then Microsoft released Fable 3 on PC.

#10 1 year ago
  11. deadstoned

The game is 14 years old… It may of had an update so its compatible, but the work they’ve done is hardly worth an extra $10.

If GFWL had been worked on in the last 3 years I might not have a problem with GFWL, but as its a pile of Steaming crap left to die anyone who continues using it is pretty idiotic at this stage. Its been obvious since 2010 that it was no longer in active development with no updates or features.

Microsoft’s biggest earnings come from its Windows based PC Software Products i.e. Windows Operating Systems, Office and Server software. As the Windows PC is clearly a market Microsoft wants to keep strong for its own interest its pretty stupid that they don’t want to do more to strengthen the market by keeping the PC gaming industry strong. So it’d make sense to release a lot more PC games than they do. Considering they have a long history of making PC games as well simply abandoning the PC the way they did makes their treachery more terrible.

Sony is a Console manufacturer with little to no interest in making PC games, although they do make more than Microsoft with Sony Online Entertainment. Sony wanting console exclusives to sell their next Playstation and beyond is understandable, but when Microsoft has already released a lot of titles and then just stopped on PC to leave fans hanging is really lame. With their “Buy an Xbox 360 to continue the story”. Or buy the Xbox version to actually play the game because GFWL interferes with everything, the ports are low quality and late. Also they did port Fable III 9 months late with GFWL and did a poor porting job. Token gesture at best and where the hell was Fable II? Ohh yeah it didnt get a PC version.

#11 1 year ago
  12. livewired500

This is so awesome. Just read in another article they are including all the user created mods I’ve been using for years. I can finally put away my boxed version (sorry AOEII you are going into the closet with the rest of them…).

Time to start working on my custom scenarios and maps. I might have to buy this for my 3 brothers as well as we used to play against each other all the time.

As good as AOEIII and Age of Mythology was, AOEII is still by far my favorite. It was my first online MP game I ever played and was still playing online just a few years ago.

I’m super stoked, so I hope you guys can be as well.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DAOWAce

Firefly Studios released Stronghold HD as a patch along with upgrading all original copies of the game on digital distribution sites.

Microsoft is money grubbing with this BS.

We’ve been able to add ‘HD’ support to the game for a very long time now; charging $20 for an official ‘HD’ version (with minor updated textures and Steamworks integration) is bollocks.

I was looking forward to this, but now I’m just very upset.

#13 1 year ago