GTA 5 pushed into September, analyst suspects next-gen release

Thursday, 31st January 2013 15:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rockstar has confirmed a September release date for Grand Theft Auto 5, which is a few months away from the initial spring launch window. One analyst thinks the delay points to a next-gen release.

The move will provide “additional development time,” according to the firm.

“Grand Theft Auto V continues to push the series forward in new ways; Rockstar North are creating our deepest, most beautiful and most immersive world yet,” said Sam Houser, founder of Rockstar Games. “We are very excited for people to learn more about the game in the coming months.”

Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz has chalked the delay up to a possible release on next-gen consoles.

“In and of itself, the delay of the game from FQ1 to FQ2 would not normally mean any significant change to expected FY14 financial results,” Creutz stated in a financial note. “However there is an issue in that we expect the next generation of Xbox and/or PlayStation consoles to launch in the December quarter.

“We think the closer proximity of GTA V to the next cycle could, at the margin, impact lifetime sales of the title, though we believe that a title of GTA’s stature will still be a major seller regardless. We think there also could be some impact on the legs of likely GTA V downloadable content as the next-gen installed base increases through 2014.

“However, we suspect Take-Two may have plans to eventually publish GTA V on the next set of consoles in some form to offset this.”

GTA 5 will be released on PS3 and Xbox 360 September 17.

1. killersense

damn that sucks :(

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

no problem i don’t want a unfinished junk game, so take your time rockstar… when it is ready it will be ready.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Mus42

Did they mention a release date for PS4 and Xbox720?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Yoshi

And then it’ll be delay again until next spring :p

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Nop, just 3 & 360. It’s too big a game to be ported to NG just before release.

Also, yay!

#5 1 year ago
  6. 0ldsnake1

lol one day before my Birthday , guess what im getting for my BD? :)

anyway i think its good that they’re working more on the game im sure that the last GTA of this generation will be a blast…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Razor

Think this just killed Twitter.

#7 1 year ago
  8. JRNO

@7 I thought the same, lol.
    As for the delay, a damn shame. There’s really not much I’m looking forward to between today and September.

#8 1 year ago
  9. theevilaires

I had a feeling this would happen. Oh well More time to finish the two DLC add ons and get a Platinum. This says a lot I think. Don’t expect any next gen consoles this year ladies and gents.

Lets see if the supposedly next gen Wii U get a port with all this extra time they have ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. Cobra951

@3: That immediately crossed my mind too. It’s happened before, where plans to release a game very late in a gen get changed into development for the following one, with multiple “delays” to string people along.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Seraphemz

Gives me time to finish up a bunch of other games that are taking a lot of my time right now…

#11 1 year ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

I’m sorry but for a sec i’m really done with Rockstar. They FUCK over their fans hard. And i will explain now:

It’s not that i don’t understand a delay, it’s for the greater good eventually. I don’t like being lied too though. Last year in November they announced the Spring 2013 release window, but i think we all know that they knew damn well they couldn’t make it in time then.

So announce that goddamn delay right then and there or the next month. But no…they promise great upcoming news early January for the rest of the month, including box-art reveal. In the middle of the month they comment on a fan on their Newswire page that GTA V is still coming in Spring and they wait till the very last day of the month to bring this bad news.

Fucking over your fans is what i call that.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fin

u mad bro?
    Entitled much?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

I don’t see how wanting a game to actually be complete before releasing it is fucking over their fans.

I mean, it’s probably going to be a buggy mess the first few days after release (seriously, GTAIV’s behavior in my PS3 the first couple days frightened me so much I stopped playing until they patched it), so why not let it be less of a buggy mess? Betheseda could learn something from this.

I say let a game come out when it’s done. I would have rather, say, Soul Calibur V have been delayed for another 8 months to be finished rather than be released in the shitty state that game came out in.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

When you are determined to stick to a release date, no matter what the cost, you end up with Alien 3.

#15 1 year ago
  16. NeoSquall

@10 That happened years ago, now games take considerably MORE money to produce, so a clever publisher can’t make these tricks and get away with it.
    If you read the news above this one, Take Two stock just went down 6,74% after the delay announcement, means their money got burned.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Moonwalker1982

You guys totally fail to understand my point and to think i even explained that i DO understand delays. Must i say it again?

Are you going to tell me they didn’t already know Spring was not achieveable last year November when they announced? They shouldn’t have announced anything really. But let’s just say they did’t know…why in January promise great things ahead for the upcoming months till release including box-art? Why again confirm the Spring release in the comment section in mid-January? Come on…they knew by then that it would be a September release.

And yes, i love Rockstar’s games, hardcore GTA fan here. Was looking incredibly forward to this release in Spring.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Clupula

@17 – Think it might be possible that either they ran into a complication or had an idea that they were so in love with that they decided it absolutely HAD to be in the game? Have you ever created anything artistic? I’m asking this as a legit question, not an insult.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Fin

Presumably they were aiming for a late May release and once it was going to slip a month, they had to delay it three to miss summer.
    But anyway, so what? Why does it matter if they give an inaccurate date?

#19 1 year ago
  20. daytripper

How is it fucking the fans over ? Sometimes unforeseen circumstances happen, a few months is all, hardly devastating

#20 1 year ago
  21. Dave Cook

Bottom line:

Do you want a rushed, broken game, or one that has time invested in it that ends up brilliant?

It’s simple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FCTcCCIHXkc

#21 1 year ago
  22. DSB

What about one that has time invested in it and insists on wasting your time by making you socialize with your phone-raping dumbass cousin?

Can we have that? Oh, wait…

Do we have a smirky smiley somewhere? I really want a smirky smiley at the end of that.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Beta

That’s fine with me, plenty of uncompleted and soon to be released games to tide me over.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Ali

Don’t really care…. Well stopped caring after Vice City. Damn, 3 and Vice City were such great games.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Moonwalker1982

I see you guys point. However, even a concrete release date can still change. September? I doubt it, this would be the very first time a GTA comes out in September. They say September, i’ll just say : We’ll see.

Plenty of amazing and very promising games coming until then anyway.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DuckOfDestiny

I expected it really. Seemed such a short time between when the release date was announced and May.

#26 1 year ago
  27. HauntaVirus

Hmmm, sounds like the PC version could launch day and date with its console brethren.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Fin

Eh? Yeah, and before GTA IV there hadn’t been any GTA released outside of October.

No, they would’ve announced it if it were so.

#28 1 year ago
  29. PEYJ

@ 25

Actually, the PlayStation 2 versions of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas all came out in the autumn.

#29 1 year ago
  30. CL4P-TP

i hope they announce that they wont port to PC so i can just lose all hope in R* and dont have to deal with the waiting for PC release that would be over a year away =(

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

Looks like zero chance of seeing the PS4 or 720 this year then…

Rockstar must be privy to the release dates to push this back to September.

Unless obviously they new machines can upscale in a big way.

And no Battlefield this year, which either means a next gen release or even more of a wait for next gen.

By the time they come out Wii U will be 199 and Zelda and Mario will be up for release. I wish someone would have the balls to announce something.

Signs are pointing to 2014 for release IMO, maybe even end of 2014 for Playstation 4. That would be mental if you ask me. Nintendo will have another bloody console or handheld ready by then! :)

#31 1 year ago
  32. monkeygourmet

Last of Us
    God of War
    GTA 5
    Bio shock Infinate
    Puppeteer
    Metal Gear 5
    New Heavy Rain devs game
    New COD
    Dark Souls 2?
    Final Fantasy lightning returns
    Remember Me

All due on PS in 2013 / 2014, plus prob more unannounced stuff.

I can honestly see maybe a showing at E3 then a wait till dec 2014 for PS4…

#32 1 year ago
  33. theevilaires

“And no Battlefield this year, which either means a next gen release or even more of a wait for next gen”.

Would make sense PS4…BF4. I think their new engine needs more powerful hardware to be taken full advantage of. Releasing BF4 on current gen would be moot.

“By the time they come out Wii U will be 199 and Zelda and Mario will be up for release. I wish someone would have the balls to announce something”.

I agree Nintendo will slash the price of the Wii U and I expect the Wii-Z to be released 2 years later to fully catch up to the specs of the PS4/720. If SONY and Microsoft drop the ball on releasing new consoles by next spring they’re giving Nintendo a chance to catch up. The Wii U is not meant to have a long life span.

#33 1 year ago
  34. polygem

everything is pointing 2014 ps wise if you ask me. tons of great games announced for it for 2013. i think it’ll launch late 2014. last guardian as a launch title.
    xbox could happen in 2013 it’s bare bones releasewise…
    i think that’s ok though. i am happy with all the releases for wiiu, ps3 and 3ds. more than i can handle really. lots of stuff i am interested in. ps 4 in 2014 would really be ok for me. wiiu helped a lot to satisfy my next gen/new system craving. great games for all systems in the pipeline. i’m all relaxed and all. can wait.

#34 1 year ago
  35. theevilaires

and RockStar is full of shit. They knew GTAV wasn’t going to be ready by spring. It was just too good to be true. So tired of all the AAA games being released in that holiday fall area time span. Its annoying, backlogged to hell or not.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Moonwalker1982

What i find so weird is that only a few days ago new promo material was spotted in a store, brand new and it contained SPRING 2013 on it. So this decision has been made very recently…it seems..ah well.

Maybe MS and/or Sony approached Rockstar and gave them the ‘green’ light on developing for their hardware and thus making GTA V happen on both old and new consoles?

Who knows, right? Games like NFS, Hitman Blood Money, CoD 2 and a few others were both on Xbox and on 360′s launch.

#36 1 year ago
  37. ActionGameKing

Next gen GTA V would be a damn smart business move.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Moonwalker1982

Yeah, but i don’t know. They have been working on this title for more than five years for the current hardware, i doubt they’ll make it next gen now. But a ‘simple’ port like Hitman BM, NFS and COD 2 were, who knows, time will tell. Unless we won’t be seeing the new consoles at all this year. This reminds me of Splinter Cell Blacklist, first planned for Spring 2013 and then out of the blue delay to August. IGN speculated that it could be that Ubi knows the new consoles won’t be out anytime soon and thus take their sweet time with it.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Cobra951

@16: Read the story again, NeoSquall. It has been updated. I am not alone thinking it may be pushed into the next gen.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Moonwalker1982

As in, pushed into next year or also releasing on new consoles just like some Xbox 360 titels during launch?

#40 1 year ago
  41. NocturnalB

I predict NextBox and PS4 bundle deals with GTA V come the holidays. Let’s go Next Gen!

#41 1 year ago
  42. Clupula

@41 – I certainly hope not. I was looking forward to playing this, this year. If it gets put on the next gen systems, I won’t be playing it for another two or three years.

#42 1 year ago
  43. ps4some

@42 it’ll be on ps3/360, it has to be for R* to make their money back. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a ps4/720 port knocked up in the extra time especially as they’re both quite pc like architecture-wise.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Fin

Yer, that’d be my best guess, if there is to be a NG release – maybe a sim-release with NG and PC? That’d make a LOT of sense.

It’s only going to be current-gen day 1, but I wouldn’t rule out a filler NG release down the road.
    It doesn’t make that much financial sense for them to release on NG after current-gen though, as anyone with a NG machine will have a current-gen one too, and the install base will be tiny, compared to 140m+ for PS360.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Gigabomber

Sony and MS are both fools for not pushing them onto the next gen, but Rockstar is, sadly, interested in the quality of their product and refuse to develop in a vacuum for systems that might cost $1200 when they are introduced.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Didact

Unless they were designing for next gen consoles all along, wouldn’t it just be a shitty port of the 360/PS3 versions? That seems pretty pointless. I mean, I’m no expert, but wouldn’t it take more than half a year to produce a version that actually takes full advantage of next gen console hardware?

#46 1 year ago
  47. Didact

In any case, recent rumors place the release of the PS4 in the Spring of Autumn of 2014, and the 720 release is thought to be delayed into 2014 as well due to some hardware issues or something. Of course, they are just rumors. Xbox World thinks the next Xbox will have a Blu-ray drive which I find pretty hard to swallow.

#47 1 year ago