Halo 5: 343 will “do much better next time”, O’Connor talks next-gen

Thursday, 10th January 2013 11:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 4 may have only just come out in November, but 343 Industries is already looking at ways it can improve its handling of Bungie’s franchise going forward with Halo 5 development. Studio head Frank O’Connor has laid bare his vision and ambition for what comes next.

Over on Halo Waypoint, O’Connor published a post that revaled the team had been doing a lot of soul-searching and identified areas it could improve upon going forward.

Said O’Connor, “Halo 4 is the best and fastest-selling Halo game in the series. It won critical acclaim. It won awards, from Best Graphics at the VGAs to Game of the Year at the Inside Gaming Awards. We altered the engine. We expanded the universe. We innovated in storytelling, technology, and even marketing.

“It wasn’t flawless by any stretch of the imagination, but by most objective criteria, it was a resounding success. So we know we have a lot to do. And we know we have a lot to learn. But we also know that we now have the capacity, the teamwork, the technology and the experience to do much better next time.”

Talking about 343′s next-gen ambitions with Halo 5 – and actually alluding that the game is coming to Microsoft’s next console – O’Connor added, “There are a ton of things we wish we could done better: Features that didn’t make it into the final game. Glitches that emerged. Missteps made. DLC fiascos. Communication breakdowns.

“But there were things that went astonishingly well – the creation of a genuinely competitive AAA studio chief among them. A collection of talent and souls that can do something genuinely amazing on this and next-generation hardware. The overhaul of an amazing game engine – but one that really needed to be overhauled – and an amassed education on systems, people, code and audience that will stand us in great stead for the future.”

What do you feel Halo 4 could have done better? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. KrazyKraut

sorry but…halo 4 was short…..extremely short. Yes, its awesome for multiplayers, but shitty for singleplayer. Hope they fix this in Halo 5.

2. alterecho

They put in a massive effort with the orchestral soundtrack too. I don’t own a 360 but the soundtrack ’117′ by Kazuma Jinouchi was stellar.

3. Night Hunter

My tip: Don’t rely on Halo: Waypoint videos to tell a story that makes sense.

4. mobiugearskin

I thought the story made sense. I haven’t read the books etc.
    But the story was easy enough to follow, and I just googled certain elements afterwards to understand certain characters further.

Not exactly a big deal.

5. Gadzooks!

My only criticism of Halo 4 is that it’s a little bit of a ballache setting up local multiplayer sometimes.

If you have a mix of Live and non-Live accounts it gets fiddly. You can have guest accounts to accompany Live accounts, but it could be automated more than it is.

Also, allow 4 player Spartan Ops splitscreen and remove the Live account restriction if playing locally. You can have 4 players in war games, so Spartan Ops should be no problem.

Apart from that it’s a masterpiece. 343 have come out the gates as the best technical team on consoles by a country mile, and seriously impressed with story and cutscene work too.

More please!

6. Dave Cook

It’s short, but the plot actually made me give a shit about the world and characters. I’ve objectively – not being a hater – always found the Halo plots to be a confused, overly-grandiose mess. For once I actually care, and by that I mean I care slightly more than not at all.

7. Cryss

I actually felt that Halo 4 was a resounding success, everywhere except multiplayer.

There was some quintessentially Bungie that 343 just didn’t manage to nail down. 343 put the focus on large sprawling maps where vehicles take the mainstay, yet the weapon and map control that separated Halo from Call of Duty is notably absent.

It’s a shame, because I’d always loved Halo for multiplayer, 3 and Reach are still the go to games in my collection ^^

Also get rid of that damn signal telling you where weapons spawn!!

8. Night Hunter

@6: I agree with you, but still I just can’t understand their aversion to actually touching the universe for all it is worth. The plot just made a lot more sense with the 15 minutes of extra information and they shouldn’t be hiding it. Halo has the potential for a really awesome sci-fi story and they just get stuck with the absolute minimum.

9. manamana

H4 was okay. It’s the Soundtrack that was absent. Empty, dull and meaningless compositions confronted to Marty’s stuff. Not one single track that kept in mind. That really was a letdown and what makes it worse – you can’t lower the music in the options-menu. There where parts in the game when, playing on Legendary settings, needed to be repeated but the music was just nerve wrecking and I wished I could’ve turned it off all together. That was actually the first time for me, as I have all Halo OSTs on CD …

10. polygem

i am with #7…
    i am a huge halo fan. i played and enjoyed the story of halo 4. played the mp for 2 weeks…haven´t touched the game again since then.
    it´s not a bad game but halo 4 didn´t click with me. it felt very different to bungies halo. must not be a bad thing, but in case of halo 4 it was. at least imo.
    i played all the halo single player campaigns several times, finished them on heroic and/or legendary…played the shit out of reachs mp (my personal favourite).
    halo 4´s vibe, the dark tone and grittyness, the more codish paced gameplay. it disappointed me.
    i know A LOT of people think different about this, but imho bungie nailed halo with reach, just some minor flaws like armour lock being over powered, other than that an almost perfect game, an ultrasmooth experience, a masterpiece of videogamedesign. one of the best games this gen and my favourite mp game of all time.
    that said: i got high hopes for destiny. i will probably continue playing halo but feel like it´s not one of my fave game franchises anymore.
    makes me kinda sad really.

11. Eddie Rodrigues

Halo 4 was a… terrific experience… It feels good to me to say that I liked it, much more after the fiasco 3 and Reach were to me… 343 did a better job than Bungie and that was noticeable in the atmosphere the game brought, I felt that it was a shooter and not just a simple teabag convention. Although I will only get a 720 if Live online playing is finally free, Halo 5 will make me consider my next console if I happen to actually like the next generation, as it seems PC is finally taking the lead.

12. Aimless

Assuming they’re going to be a continued presence, I’d say they need to overhaul the Prometheans.

The Watchers and Crawlers aren’t too bad but the Knights are essentially cheaper, less-engaging Elites that bring very little to the combat dynamic. They’re a real missed opportunity given the Forerunner aesthetic: they should be creatures that break apart and reform, perhaps combining with one another to create adaptive opponents.

The above certainly isn’t my only complaint, but it is the major one. Generally I think 343 made a sterling first attempt, though, and I suspect a shift to new hardware will alleviate several of my other concerns.

13. polygem

that´s funny eddie. i respect your opinion. but to me it really is completeley the other way around :)

the crisp, colorful look of halo 3 and especially reach, the purple covenant ships, a truly pink needler…i loved that stuff.
    the atmosphere of halo 4 didn´t do anything for me…i mean it is an atmospheric game but all it did was that it didn´t feel much like a halo game to me.

it is a great game, no question. i definiteley prefer bungies style though. A LOT.

14. Hellhound30x

Big Halo fan here, and I just wanted to say, “Halo 4 was a HUGE let down.” The story was okay, nothing that really grabbed me. Why does it seem like your more of an “ass kicker” in Halo Reach?
    I have no complaints with the graphics or the sound both were phenomenal! The single player campaign was short, and forgettable. Spartan Ops??? OMG! TOTAL GARBAGE! Just give me the cutscenes, and I’m good. I hated replaying the same levels forwards and backwards.
    AND MULTI PLAYER SUCKS! IT IS THE FIRST TIME IN THE HALO FRANCHISE HISTORY THAT STOPPED PLAYING THE MULTI PLAYER!
    IT LOST THE WHOLE “HALO” FEEL! NOW ITS CALL OF DUTY MEETS HALO!
    GARBAGE!
    My thoughts…

15. Gheritt White

Best Halo ever, IMHO. As good as Halo: CE (and that’s really saying something) and just nudged ahead of Reach as my fave Halo experience.

16. theevilaires

^ you saying best halo game ever is like Poly saying best Nintendo game ever. I’ll take that with a grain of Salt.

I still haven’t finished Reach and I guess I won’t get to 4 until sometime after the launch of the 720. Whatever Microsoft and 343 or 989 (or whatever silly random number they call themselves) studios does they should release Halo 5 on the PS4 launch date :) That should slow down the competition right Billy ;)

17. fengato

@9 Lack of audio options is a bummer, though you can turn the music off by ripping a CD track to your Xbox. Then set the ripped track to play (with the player volume at 0). Fixed. ;)

I’m torn on H4

Spartan Ops is a sound concept, though endless lives, repetitive gameplay, and some of the worst dialogue I’ve experienced undermines the fun. “Save the Eggheads from the hingeheads.” *Shudders*

Campaign was short and not completely engaging – but I feel this is something that will improve in time.

Now for MP – at first I wasn’t really enjoying it all that much, though having now put two days into it, I’ve come to enjoy Big Team quite a bit (despite voters continually voting in the same two maps.)

343 will really need to step up their game for the 720, as it’s the only carrot M$ have to keep me in their increasingly annoying ecosystem.

18. NocturnalB

Maybe i’m in a minority here but i was actually a little pissed overall about the single player campaign story. Obviously by a certain **SPOILER** death, but most of all i was highly pissed that it was so incredibly short, and the fact that you don’t even have an end fight, you have an end interactive cut scene… i wanted to actually fight.

As for the rest of the overarching story i actually feel opposite of Dave i feel like it had too many points of confusion and even after 3 or 4 play through’s i was still finding myself almost completely lost as to the why/what/how. I feel like they got way too tedious in spots that didn’t need it, and i feel like they didn’t elaborate enough in spots that did need it.

The multiplayer was golden i really think they did excellent in that department. Overall i really hope they improve on the story telling because it had cool characters and plenty of potential but 343 needs to improve on how they tell the tale. And i DO NOT want another “interactive cut scene” ending.

19. dearico

I liked the game a lot, but we miss the time were we had dual-gun please dual-gun, plus more maps for multiplayer, and also please full screen for split screen

20. KillJoy745

Halo 4 did not feel like a Halo title. The campaign wasn’t good, it jump around on what you had to do, although the main objective was to save Cortana it jumped around a lot. The multiplayer didn’t feel like it was a Halo multiplayer. I thought I was playing Call of Duty with the way you can customize loadouts. I don’t mind sprinting or camo, but pretty much the armor abilities have to go (with the exception of sprint). Also the joining mid-game, that is BS and should never have been added. Players get pissed when they join a match on the losing team or right when the game ends. Lets not forget the music. I know the composer is new, I know that Martin isn’t there, but when I hear the music I don’t get that “Halo feel”. The next game needs to be more like Halos 1, 2, and 3. I am a huge Halo fan, but I am being let down here and I bet hundreds of other Halo gamers feel the same way as I do. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE MAKE FUTURE HALO GAMES FEEL LIKE THE OLDER ONES. I just want the old Halo back and I am hoping that the Halo 2 and Halo 3 remakes (if made) will have their old multiplayers back.

21. maddog358

Halo 4 I think is very good but there is alot of things 343 could have done better, such as the forge.. I wish they did a forge world for halo 4, more options, more newer buildings, more money, and make everything available for all maps, not limit. I wish they did more for multiplayer, and I would like firefight to return, yeah sparton ops is cool, but I liked firefight. Campaign was very cool, I cant wait to see what they do for the next campaign. But one thing we were all angry about it the special skins that everyone saw on tv before the game was released was a total fail! I did not recieve that, and neither did my husband or any of my friends on xbox live, I want that special skin given to me since I did pre-order so did my husband and many other’s. That is such a bummer, now i have to wait till I am a level 74 in order to get it, that is unfair. But do some much bigger, better maps for forge world, with more options, pre build buildings, newer ones, and more money, and more stuff to build. BRING BACK FORGE WORLD!!!!!

22. Vikarr Tarr Rasamee

Sorry i’m late but lets get some of the elite community in here, i can mark off several things needed to be improve for starters u guys took out elites THAT TOOK OUT A THIRD OF THE COMMUNITY you took out the falcon and revenant you put in overpowered weapons available in loadouts and by takeing out elites and vehicles you damaged the machinima community not just elite its as if the only machinima you guys have heard of is redvsblue magnets are nearly useless you destroyed forge world you destroyed the goal of multiplayer maps the only one that is still good is vallhalla you put in personal ordances wich can give the opposing team an unfare advantage the armor looks retarded atleast in reach it looked realalistic you gave us beutiful envirements that are by the way offlimits honostly the only good things i can think of are spartan ops and the campaign honostly you guys screwed up big time you guys are good with plots and graphics but you don’t know how to make your community happyto me i don’t know about you guys but halo 4 was a total dissapointment i played it 2 weeks than only got on to play spartan ops i just hope you pay attention other than people that are pro or semi-pro cause it feels to me that you guys could have done a better job if you only took time to listen to the whole of the community plus this is advice not a rant when you release halo 5 don’t release it right next to a call of duty game you will get more sale this way and stop limiting stuff so you have to buy this edition to get this and this and release more colors than what you have and just take the time listen to the community maybe talk to them online something because it seems to me you guys arent listening if you did that halo 4 would have been a total sucess and you should really bring back duel weild cause reach that and elite armor customization were like the only thing that could have made it better and just a thing easy way to fix duel weild party leader wants it on he goes to options and does it there wants it off same thing bit only duelweild 1 handed weapons obviously yes that does mean sword cause duel sword isnt as bad as it sound in a close rang map ya thats a problem so in matchmaking make duel weild off so that you dont have to worry and you just might have the number 1 best game in the world and bring back the days of halo 2 so good luck with halo 5 and hope you listen to the community and stop trying to call of duty that will make you less popular not less

23. grapekoolaid

I think the need to do better on the helmets and make the deaths seem more real and when I first got halo 4 it didn’t have all the gameplays like grift ball and stuff they also need to make it feel more real and also in the helmets the kinda copy from other games the only good helmet it the ones u had to preorder and finally the need to make new vehicles the mantis is ok but it not like a real vehicle it’s kind of like iron man like what the hell

24. fearmonkey

I did not care for the play to earn stuff like Call of Duty, I wish that never happened.

I thought the overall game was very polished, but I admit I don’t care for all the powerups. I guess I miss the older Halo multiplayer as I never cared for the armor powerups that came after.

I miss the indestructible vehicles and slightly bouncier physics in the first two games as well, as my friends had custom games that we can no longer play together using that.

25. Trainer Ditch

Take out killcam and killstreak rewards, Make the maps symmetrical like in Halo 3, multiplayer should rely more on teamwork, bring back the type of music and original feel of the Halo franchise, like in Halo 1-3, take away the loadouts,bring back The option to be an elite, bring back duel-wield. Oh, don’t forget, Please bring back that last mission that you always have to survive and run from the enemy!I liked how Halo 3 had a plot that was more complex, cuz’ that means a longer story. I think what took the feel of Halo out of Halo 4 the most was the storyline. You need more covenant and flood

26. back2u25

Halo 4 really awesome! Well for my love of video games part. On my love for Halo storylines part, I feel like Halo 4 story line ripped my heart out and tossed it in front of me, as it shatters… :’( 343 I speak to you please. The onl thing that disappointed me was the idea of having Cortana leaving Master Cheif… Why did you have to kill her, 343, why???… Just please make the next Halo game better please, I ask of you. It was sooo much btter when you with partnered with bungie. I want, well we all want Cortana back in the Halo game with Master Cheif. Oh no, Master Cheif is all alone… He’s all by himself with those Covenants, Spartan IV newies, and the new generation squads… He needs his real friend back, Cortana. Wheres Arbiter?? 343 please make the next Halo game better please!!! *on my knees praying, begging for 343, to bring back Cortana* The Halo universe, THE HALO UNIVERSE IS NOTHING WITHOUT CORTANA!!! What happen all that saying about how Cortana having intelligence that far exceeds human technologies, and could be Forerunner. We haven’t gotten to that plot yet.

#26 1 year ago
  27. rangerballs2

Jus bring back halo 3 with like 3 new maps = best selling halo of all time . . halo 4 ranking system was like social slayer . (rank comes with time) . halo 3`s had a ranking system 1-50 ( only rank up with skill and team work) .. It really separated the good players from the bad and people took pride in getting their 50 . . halo 3 is different from any other game out there. Someone can actually say halo is the best game ever .. People can compare halo reach and halo 4 to other games such as call of duty because its so similar . . halo can never beat call of duty at the style of play, but can be better the call of duty and any other!!!! Game with its own unique and discrete style . . bring back halo 3!!! And save the franchise !!!

#27 1 year ago
  28. rangerballs2

P.s nothing wrong with halo 3 graphics . . bring back every aspect of the game . guns ,maps, ranking system, load screens, etc. Year halo 4 and reach are fun to play at times . . BUT the PASSION and love for the game it’s not there like it was in halo 3 .

#28 1 year ago
  29. rangerballs2

I give all props to the campaign mode in all the halo games. My feedback is coming for a gamer who loves multiplayer on Xbox live . . . “a change needs to come “

#29 1 year ago
  30. eldern

This is not even a valid point that Halo 4 is a “better” game because it won the VGA award and the Inside Award Gaming Awards, both of these awards were not even available when Halo Combat Evolved was out. The Inside Award Gaming Awards have only been around since 2008 which also cuts out Halo 2. I think the article inaccurately displays the worth of Halo 4 among the legend that every Halo player has known to be as Halo 2.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Lms X Fear

When i think halo, i’m filled with such despair as these new titles don’t hold much water. been playing halo since the first,really haven’t loved it since the second, lost a lot of interest with “reach”, regained a little hope with the fourth, but seems to me like it lacks what the second perfected. let me point out this out, halo is NOT c.o.d, i repeat is not.
    I really could care less for your load-outs, your armor abilities, your kill-streaks, if i wanted all that i would play c.o.d. How could you make halo better? Bring back maps that i can actually recall later in life, because they actually made a impression, when i say lockout, who knows what i’m taking about?? Bring back clans(Like ghost did)i loved to dual wield to o bad its gone,Why does everyone have to reach the highest rank? where is my awesome looking ranks that take skill to get? where is the competitiveness i have come to expect? gone…all…gone..Hell just remake halo 2,ill replay that over half the fps shooter out right now.
    It seems now and days when making a game, the whiny(Can’t get no kills without a rocket launcher +5,000 nades)get it made easier for them, i am not even trying to be long winded i just want my damn game back.

#31 11 months ago