Smash Bros. Wii U: Sakurai wants to make gamers wait for it

Friday, 14th December 2012 10:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Super Smash Bros. Wii U will be worth waiting for, according to series creator Masahiro Sakurai. The developer has spoken about the game’s development in his latest Famitsu column. Get the details below.

In his column, the developer said of the project, “To put it succinctly, I’ll need to have you guys wait a while longer. I hardly ever write anything on Twitter any longer, and that’s because I think right now is the time to stop tweeting and start putting in a real effort here. If I could put it a really harsh way, I think it’d be better if I could be forgotten by gamers for a while.

Sakurai – who is currently in a self-imposed Twitter hiatus over speculation surrounding his tweets – added, “I don’t like it when a tweet or whatever leads to needless speculation getting spread around.

“For example, when I tweet about playing some game, some people immediately get the idea that that character is in the new Smash Bros. Then people fan the flames on it, people start to think it’s really true, people get angry about it. Nobody benefits.

“Instead of talking about what Smash Bros. will be like, I’m just going to say ‘I’m making you wait for it!’ and keep going along. I want to put my all into a full-on launch that really makes that wait worth it.”

The game was announced at E3 2011 in passing during Nintendo’s initial Wii U reveal and all talk of it has lay dormant for a while. Regardless, we do know that Namco Bandai are involved in some development capacity. It looks like we’ll have a while longer to wait before learning more about it.

Thanks ONM via Polygon.

1. Erthazus

I think this will be brilliant compared to “All stars battle Failure”.

2. Fin

What’s this, is it like PlayStation AllStars Battle Royale, but with Nintendo characters?

I’d be surprised if we see it before late 2014.

3. monkees19

Is it like PS All Stars #2?? All Stars wishes is was like this…

You don’t belong on this site if you don’t know what Smash Bros. is…

See 1999 for the original.

4. lexph3re

ROSE TINTED GLASSES ACTIVATE!

5. DarkElfa

I think they just want to sell more consoles before they put this out so they can hopefully sell a ton and use it for PR purposes.

6. John117

Brawl is the only game I actually miss after exchanging my Wii for a Xbox… Well hopefully a friend will buy the Wii U and this game when it comes so I can play with him.

7. Dave Cook

Melee > Brawl imo

8. Spider Law

@ Dave Cook
    I totally agree with you. Melee was tons better.

@ Article
    If this is the case, i wont be buying a WiiU ever. I felt that Nintendo had already alienated it’s customers enough with all the date changes for Twilight Princess and then Smash Bros Brawl. I know i was a HUGE Nintendo fan since NES but that changed during the Wii’s cycle because Nintendo had done nothing but let me down.
    Now they want us to wait a long time for a new Smash Bros just for the sake of waiting….they can shove the WiiU up their asses then. I realize this is the developer’s idea but if Nintendo follows along with their plan, the above statement remains the same.

9. Spider Law

Oh, and Playstation All-Stars is so much more fun than Brawl also.
    I hated the Beta, ask Lexphere…we got into discussions over how much i that it sucked balls. Bu i decided to give it a real chance when it launched and damn do i love it. I play at least one match a day on my Vita and at least 10 matches with me 4 kids every week. My kids prefer Playstation All-Stars too.

10. Ireland Michael

@8 Nintendo has *always* delayed their games when nessecary. The N64 itself was one giant delay. This is not a new thing.

11. ManuOtaku

Dont worry i can wait, remember a rush game is bad forever.
    And for the record thats one of the things i dont own a facebook or a twitter account, sometimes and in some cases does more harm that good.

12. Spider Law

Wasnt saying that they didnt do it. Was just saying that Twilight Princess and Brawl was the last straw for me.

Waiting for a game to come out for the sake of perfecting the game is fine and dandy.
    Waiting to release a game simply for the sake of waiting or even for the “Perfect Opportunity” to maximize profits is just plain stupid. Especially when the game has been finished for 1.5years and is pushed back just so that it can ship on the wii and gamecube simultaneously (Twilight Princess) is really lame.

13. Joe Musashi

@12 I think it makes a lot of sense to delay a game’s release until it’s ready – or the market is ready. Whether that’s for the sake of quality or profits. I think Twilight Princess is a unique case.

My position right now is that I have a long queue of games to play, so if a forthcoming game is delayed I’m not going to be bored in the meantime.

JM

14. Spider Law

@13 I can agree with that. To a point though. If you are waiting to release a game for profits then don’t announce it’s existence until you have a release date within the near future (near future with games is 1-2 years).

15. Gadzooks!

Releasing a game at the right time is absolutely the right thing to do, without question.

What exactly does sending games out to die achieve? Loss of money, potentially loss of the developers, loss of shareholder confidence and loss of public confidence.

See Sony for tips on all of the above because of bonehead release schedules.

Nobody benefits from botched releases.

16. Fin

Don’t announce a game until you’re sure of the launch window, that’s what I say.

Smash Bros looks like PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, but with shit sub-hd graphics.

17. Da Man

Sony don’t send videogames out to die in a rush, they take their time…

18. lexph3re

Right I forget Sony releasing games period is botched to some of you guys.

I pretty much don’t care with the way most of you think.

As for the topic I am not falling for Nintendos promises anymore. How people can claim Sony reps are full of themselves and think this is “whats best” are silly fools. N64 smash was great, gcn smash was ok, brawl was utter trash and no more than super metaknight brawl. If this one reaches the same of brawl i’ll pass again.

19. ManuOtaku

#16 “Smash Bros looks like PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale, but with shit sub-hd graphics”
    I agree that both look a like, and iam fine with that people have more games under the same kind of game they like, thats a great thing, and from a competitive stand point of view it will make both series growth.

With what i dont agree is the shit sub-hd thing, for me smash bros was a good looking game, it came close to mario galaxy which was almost on the same level of banjo nuts and bolts on 360, neither of them were shitty, sub-hd yes they are/were, but they were very pretty good looking games nontheless, under the circumstances of the hardware they were being made, they dont look like a wii game.

20. Gadzooks!

Oh how precious. The little girl is crying because someone doesn’t like the same toys as her.

21. Dave Cook

Can I throw this in the ring?

Nintendo can’t delay a game that doesn’t have a release date. Just like Aliens: Colonial Marines was never actually delayed.

Big difference folks.

22. Dragon246

Man, as some people pointed out here, it completely sucks when you announce something that’s clearly not even in proper development. I think ninty should pulling things like this just to get its most devoted fans excited. They should start talking about a game when they have something to show, not just for the sake of name-dropping.
    As for All-Stars vs ssb, I prefer All-Stars but this is all the more good. Any competition is good competition, and both games have pretty high production values and polish.

23. ManuOtaku

Dave with your permission i want to say happy holidays and a happy new year to all the folks here from the commenters to the staff, the best wishes for you and your family, all the best for this upcoming year.

Iam saying this becuase today i will start my annual vacations till the 27.01.2013, therefore i wont be posting during that time, i will be relaxing, resting, having fun, watching anime and playing mostly, i will send a message to all my PSN, xbox live and WiiU Friends during the holidays.
    p.s OG please find a replacement for the NDF, i have seen in the past days a few candidates here :)

24. Dragon246

@Manu
    Bye-Bye.Same to you and come back soon. NDF wont be the same without you :P

25. G1GAHURTZ

Have a good time, Manu!

26. Ireland Michael

@23 Stay safe Manu. Enjoy your holidays.

27. Spider Law

Happy holidays and take care.

But that’s not all we are saying. You are always biased so i take your opinion with the smallest grain of salt.
    Releasing a game at the right moment is important, but announcing a game or its release and sticking to a reasonable launch window is VERY important as well. Nintendo loves to dance like this:
    “12/14/2012 – SMASH BROS IS COMING TO THE WII U!!!!!” When will it be released? “When we feel like it.”
    “12/14/2013 – WE STARTED DEVELOPING SMASH WII U!!!!” When will it be released? “When we feel like it” Well, what stage are you at in development? “We just started talking about making it at the developers office”.
    “12/14/2014- SMASH BROS FIGHTING CHAMPS REALESES MARCH 24th 2015!!!!”
    Great! Cant Wait! Which characters will be in it “Mario, thats all we can say at the moment”
    “3/23/2015 – Smash Bros Fighting Champs has been delayed to Fall 2015″
    why? “Our team believes that there is more to be done” Thats pretty vague, any other details you can give to the public “We cannot comment at this time”
    “10/30/2015 – SMASH BROS FIGHTING CHAMSPS OUT DEC. 16!!!!”
    Finally -_-

28. bitsnark

@23 Happy holidays Manu! Stay safe, eat, drink and be merry :)

29. Dave Cook

@23 have a good one Manu, catch you on the other side :)

30. Gekidami

Well, scraping the bottom of the barrel that is their IP’s takes time. I wonder if we’ll get another piece of hardware as a playable character this time, maybe another 4 clone characters.

31. monkeygourmet

@Manu

Happy Holidays, enjoy your gaming break! :)

32. Len

Wait a min, so you’re having 6 weeks off Manu?!?! Bloody hell….you lucky so and so.

Have fun… ;)

33. OlderGamer

Manu, take man. Be safe, and we can play some WiiU when you get back. Most of my WiiU libary are things I need to unwrap xmass day.

34. polygem

hey manu…happy holidays and an ace start of the new year for you and the familiy! we will struggle but we’ll prevail…somehow

topic. this game is highly anticipated. it’s a nintendo classic. a praised ip. they tease their fans, saying game will come. all i read is it’ll still take a while before it’ll be released. i will judge it after i played it. i can wait and i will play it. that’s all i can say for now,

@spider. the wiiu is ace already. if you crave a great nintendo console but couldn’t really get into the wii….this is a different breed. i truly think the wiiu is one of the best consoles ever. it’s very fresh and unique and has all the buttons for da old school. just saying, i’m sure at some point you’ll end up with one anyway because of that gaming kid in you;)