Mark of the Ninja out now on Steam

Wednesday, 17th October 2012 01:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Klei Entertainment’s gorgeous and tactically diverse stealth-’em-up Mark of the Ninja has arrived on PC following a critically applauded Xbox Live Arcade debut.

You can grab it on Steam for $14.99/£11.99

The launch trailer below shows off how Klei’s talent is progressing; while previous efforts Eets and Shank were fairly lovely affairs, the slick animations and astoundingly deep gameplay of Mark of the Ninja are signs the developer is more than worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. DSB

1. Is it good?

2. Is it 15 euros good?

I’ve seen some pretty excited reviews, but that just makes me fear that those people are doing backflips because it’s a bit of a novelty.

2. Nath_gamer

It looks A LOT like Shank 1 and 2, oh that’s because it’s by the same people. Well I don’t have steam because I can’t stand PC games, I don’t know why Klei Entertainment keep making games for windows and XBLA, they only have Shank 1&2 on PSN.

3. zhao3gold

^Nath_gamer:

Shank 1 and 2 are also released on XBLA. So why can’t Klei make games exclusive for XBLA (I mean exclusive on consoles). And don’t forget this game was published by Microsoft Studio. Could you please post a comment before you really knew something?

4. bitsnark

@DSB

1) Absolutely. Also, the critical acclaim for it isn’t just knee-jerk backflips; its well deserved as the game pretty much makes stealth fun again.

2) It’s not bad, the game is short, but there is a lot of scope for replay-ability.

Easily one of my games of the year. Downloadable or otherwise.

5. roadkill

@1 15 euros is a bit too much. But you know we have an alternative. ;)

6. freedoms_stain

I hope the protagonists name is Mark.

7. Fin

Go fuck yourself, pirate.

8. Nath_gamer

@3 I did not know that, what I meant was that if they release it on XBLA then it’s almost too easy to then put it on PSN also, so why don’t they do so? answer: Microsoft are a bunch of greedy mothers. And don’t you say the same about Sony because nothing could be further from the truth if you say that.

9. Fin

Actually, it’s Klei who would be “a bunch of greedy mothers”.
    Presumably MS offered them a bonus to keep the game exclusively on XBLA, Klei said yes.

Sony are a bunch of greedy mothers.

10. Nath_gamer

@9 haha, I knew you would say that just to piss me off, and the fact that MS offered money to them to keep any game exclusive to anything proves my point.

11. Custard Ganet

Sony have exclusive titles on PSN also right?

12. Gadzooks!

FFS don’t respond to it people, it’s an alt-troll account.

13. Fin

lol ya i no rite. So different to any other publisher or platform holder. I bet Nintendo didn’t offer Platinum any money for Bayonetta 2.

But it’s fun :(

14. Nath_gamer

@12 are you referring to me as the troll? because I’m the furthest thing from, do you even know what it means?

15. bitsnark

Dave of the Ninja doesn’t quite have the same ring to it somehow.

16. ManuOtaku

I will say mark of the ninja is a relly worthy game to get even if you dont like old stealth games, is the first stealth game that i found that i dont care dying for my fault multiple times, it is not fustraiting at all, they avoid pretty much the major fault i did found on this type of game, really great and worth it, if it wanst for dust it will be my downloaded game of the year by miles over minecraft and trials which is not an small feat.

17. DSB

Thanks for the tips guys.

I’m a little apprehensive because I thought Shank was utter garbage. It’s kinda hard to believe that that studio would just turn around and make a great stealth game.

Definitely gonna be on my radar though. I just don’t have 15 euros to throw around. Hotline Miami and Retro City Rampage sucked up all my indie moolah.

18. YoungZer0

Yeah, i didn’t like Shank either. Played Mark of The Ninja on my brothers 360 and gotta say it’s a rather good game. The gameplay is really fluid. The sneaking is definitely fun and apparently you can go through the whole game without killing anyone. There is a decent reward system and usually three sidemissions per level.

Definitely check out some of the gameplay footage if you’re not convinced.

btw. i thought Hotline Miami is going to come out next week?

19. DSB

Preorder dude. All the kids are doing it these days :P

20. Ireland Michael

@DSB Mark of the Ninja couldn’t be further from Shank if it tried. It’s the Mario to their Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mark of the Ninja is easily up there as one of the my favourite games this year. It’s meticulously designed and a joy to play in every regard.

21. TheWulf

“[...] and apparently you can go through the whole game without killing anyone.”

SOLD!

I don’t understand why this isn’t a selling point, and why more games don’t do this. Not everyone wants their escapism to be blood-stained. I left that behind in my teens. I put up with it for some gameplay fun, sometimes, but I have to say that, for example, despite how fun Borderlands 2 is, I still had more fun with Beenox’s Amazing Spider-Man.

A lot of this is to do with how Beenox’s game has the upbeat tone of Parker set against the darker tones, and how Parker is a hero who’s sworn to never kill (except that one time, but that wasn’t exactly his fault).

It’s always funny when Spidey is teamed up with Frank (Punisher) for this reason. “No, Frank. Bad Frank. Behave Frank. No bullets, Frank.”

I think Spidey got more annoyed with Frank Castle way back then than he does with Red-Hulk now. And that’s saying something. But I digress. The point is is that I do enjoy a game that’s sans killing, because it feels good to be able to complete a game with zero on the kill counter.

Even if it’s harder, even if it takes more skill, I don’t care. I’m okay with that.

But at least give me the option.

22. aimei11

input this URL:

( http://www.likesurprise.com)

you can find many cheap and high stuff
    (jor dan shoes)