Sonic the Fighters releasing on PC, PSN & XBLA – report

Tuesday, 9th October 2012 08:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Sonic the Fighters is heading to PC, PSN and XBLA if intrepid trademark hunter Superannuation has anything to say about it. It’s a fighter that tried to cash-in on the popularity of Street Fighter and Tekken back in the day. Its pretty pants to be honest.

Over on Twitter, Superannuation said, “Sonic the Fighters getting a digital re-release suggests to me that Sega is running out of Sonic games to re-release.”

Here’s the opening video and some gameplay.

What do you think?

1. Suikoden Fan

TBH I’d rather have Sonic R HD

2. Showmeyomoves!

Did that intro really just say “DR. ROBOTONIC”? Brilliant.

3. dizzygear

“It’s a fighter that tried to cash-in on the popularity of Street Fighter and Tekken back in the day.”

Sega didn’t exactly had a shortage of fighters back in the day. Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx to name a few.
    I doubt Sonic the Fighters was supposed to be a serious contender…

Nevertheless Sega is on a roll lately. Hopefully they have HD Burning Rangers and all the Panzer Dragoons in HD in the planning somewhere.

4. Dave Cook

@3 Fighting Vipers was awesome, I’d play that again if it came out.

And absolutely a million times yes to Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon. Very good shout.

5. Suikoden Fan

Dragon Force HD?

6. SplatteredHouse

I would far prefer Fighting Vipers.

7. The_Red

Wow… WOW. I still remember when they said they will stop over releasing Sonic games a few years ago to avoid further ruining of its image. Then they come out with this, THE ultimate bastard of Sonic games.

Hopefully this is just a rumor because after all the crappy Mario & Sonic At Olympic games, I’m starting to realize they actually WANT to ruin Sonic. Also in terms of numbers, they already have 2 major Sonic games for Q2 (Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic All-star Racing 2).

8. SplatteredHouse

On that point…Also, really want to see gameplay from All Stars Racing Transformed. Demonstrate it, Sega, like it’s an arcade cab and this is the early nineties! xD

9. TheWulf

WELP. I don’t mind anything Sega, really. I always loved them. I don’t know if this was any good, but if it is, then they might once again have my money.

This seems a little cynical though, but then again, Sega were responsible for the likes of Virtua Fighter. Hrmn.

Still, I do miss games that were that colourful. Just… just look at all that colour. What happened to charisma in games? It seems like it’s all so cynical these days, and most things that try to be colourful end up feeling like a cheap Nickelodeon cartoon. I’m looking at you, WoW.

:C

I miss properly done colourful games.

10. DSB

It’s kinda sad that Ready 2 Rumble Boxing is a Midway property. That was easily one of my top games for the Dreamcast.

11. TheWulf

You and me both! I’m pumped for that. The original was actually so, so good that it made Mario Kart redundant, but worse than that, it showed how to modernise kart games so well that it made most recent Mario Kart efforts look inept by comparison. It was just good, really, really bloody good. Fair play to Sega and Sumo, and credit where credit is due.

Man, I had so much fun with All Stars, both in single and multi-player. I want the sequel. It’s actually pretty high up in my list of anticipated games, and now that I actually have a number of my anticipated games for 2012, it’s pretty near the top.

So looking forward to that. Sega seems set to recapture old glory, and they’re going about it the right way.

You know what we need now?

Skies of Arcadia HD.

Make it happen, Sega. Make it happen.