Ninja Gaiden Z revealed, is Inafune’s ‘Yaiba’, Spark Unlimited developing

Wednesday, 19th September 2012 11:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Team Ninja has revealed Ninja Gaiden Z, a collaboration between Team Ninja, Spark Unlimited and Keiji Inafune. It’s a cel-shaded Ninja Gaiden with zombies basically, and is the full name of Inafune’s ‘Yaiba’ project. The studio also unveiled a new Ninja Gaiden smartphone game, free Wii U DLC and more. Get it all here.

Eurogamer has been tweeting details from a Team Ninja conference at TGS like trojans. Here we go.

First, Dead or Alive 5 will be available as a digital download at launch on PSN, but not Xbox Live. The studio couldn’t offer a reason as to why, apparently.

Next, the studio confirmed that Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is a Wii U launch title in all regions, and that it would get free DLC shortly after launch.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 was revealed for PS Vita and it’s coming early 2013.

Also confirmed was Ninja Gaiden for smartphones, which Eurogamer says looks like a cross between DS game Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword with card battling features.

The big news is Ninja Gaiden Z, a zombie take on the series co-developed by Keiji Inafune, Team Ninja and Spark Unlimited. It’s the full title of Infanune’s Yaiba project unveiled recently.

Watch the first Ninja Gaiden Z teaser trailer here.

Gametrailers also has the first official, full Ninja Gaiden Z trailer. You can watch it here.

1. Lord Gremlin

Yes! Ninja Gaiden 2 on PS Vita! First game works really well. I hope they will combine gore type from PS3 and 360 – like, red blood for normal ninjas, purple mist for mages and maybe come up with something new for demons.
    I hope they cut the censorship crap and include Japanese voices though. I’m tired of importing proper versions from half the world away…

2. xino

that’S CRAZY MAN!
    Yaiba!?:/

NGS2 coming for Vita…cool.But will it have blood or purple mist? because I don’t think many would buy it.

NGZ…i hope it wouldn’t be 2d cell shaded.
    if it’s 3d cell shaded then it’s fine for me.

NG for smart phone? is it the same Ninja Gaiden Battle that was announced last year?

3. The_Red

What… The… Fuck!? Seriously, why not make Yaiba its own game? Why force the Ninja Gaiden brand? And why name it so confusingly (Ninja Gaiden Z and Sigma / Zigma?).

4. xino

@red
    because no one would buy another ninja game.
    a good ninja game, Ninja Blade failed because people said it was a clone, and why buy another ninja game when the best is out there called NG?

and Ninja Gaiden Z is Z.
    Sigma is equation to sum all- it’s sign is a different E not z.

5. monkeygourmet

This looks pretty weak too me…

There’s a lot of these type of hack and slash games coming out, and it wasn’t like you was spoilt for choice anyway…

I was hoping for something completly different to this.

Still want Devils Third to be released though! :)

6. xino

you are right.

when i heard of Yaiba…I was so unimpressed, it was just another copy n paste hack n slash that will have no ground breaking feature or innovative gameplay.

hearing it’s NG…I will be more inclined to it, but I’ll wait how it plays like NG or better.

since’ it’s from Keijie Inafune, the game should be hard! (classic Mega Man game were so hard), it should have unlocks and usable environment items.

7. The_Red

I know about the Sigma part :)
    But a lot of people pronounce Sigma with a Z.

On topic of an original zombie game, I don’t think that would have been the case here. People didn’t want to buy another zombie game but they DID go for Dead Rising. If they had followed the same formula, DR would have ended up as a RE spin-off or something.