Rock Band 3 DLC – Foreigner and Nightwish tracks arrive next week

Saturday, 11th August 2012 16:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rock Band 3 will be the recipient of three new tracks next week from Foreigner and Nightwish.

Sorry Tarja-era enthusiasts: it’s Amaranth from 2007′s Dark Passion Play with Anette Olzon on vocals. Still, any Nightwish is better than no Nightwish, even if it would have been hilarious hearing your friends try and hit three different octaves Tarja-style. However, if they can handle a Paramore tune without cracking too horribly, they can pull of Amaranth with ease.

The Foreigner tracks are the ballads I Want to Know What Love Is and Waiting for a Girl Like You. Might wanna turn the lights down low for those, and look deep into your lady’s eyes while singing it. Let us know if it works out for you.

Each track will run you the usual $1.99/160 MS Points/ 200 WiiP, and all feature keyboard support. Pro Guitar/Bass support is available for Amaranth, for the extra 99 cents.

All three tracks will arrive on PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 August 14, and in Europe on PSN the following day.

1. Ireland Michael

Steph’s not a fan of Annette era Nightwish then, I take it.

Pity they choose Amarath though. It’s far from their best.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 She’s okay, I guess. Seems to have gotten better. She just has more of a “pop” voice than what I was used to from the band.

And I agree, Amarath isn’t one of the band’s best, but like I said: any Nightwish is better than no Nightwish. Still, I doubt I drop the funds for it.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 Have you heard the newest album? It’s most definitely not “poppy”. Try Scaretale.

Personally, ever since Annette came around, I can’t even bear to listen to the Tarja era stuff. The music is just so much better.

4. DSB

I object. Female fronted “heavy metal” with classical vocals = 13 year old girls who wear too much eyeliner for a couple of years.

Acid, Chastain, Warlock, Bitch or Girlschool would eat those chicks alive.

One of the guys from Nightwish used to be in Tarot, which was actually pretty good though.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 He’s still in Tarot, last time I checked. He’s their lead vocalist.

6. DSB

Oh yeah? Well more power to him.

I just fundamentally don’t get that whole concept.

I mean, taking an attractive female and making her do some opera or pop song in front of a band with their guitars dropped into D.

Musically it’s such a parody of both styles. I guess it’s pointless to view it that way, because it’s really just supposed to be enjoyed by whatever audience that might want it, but I just fundamentally don’t understand why that soup would be any good.

7. Stephany Nunneley

@4 You had me at Warlock…

8. DSB

Position: Heavy metal musician (Fuck yeah!)

Qualifications: Balls, attitude – Technique optional!

Gender: We’re really not picky.

That’s really what any proper flier should look like, and it’s fucking awesome when those chicks actually match the guys pound for pound, instead of simply relying on being cute, and getting carried.

Not that any of that would actually fit into something as “refined” as a Rock Band game, but it would be a nice surprise if someone dared to be that awesome.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 I can’t tell if you’re saying you like Nightwish or don’t like them.

Cause Anette is far from “being carried”. The band is more harmonious and equal now than they ever have been in their entire career, and booting out Tarja was the best thing they ever did. She was an average classical singer whose style severely limited where they could go with the music.

Without Tarja, they’ve become much broader in style and been a hell of lot more experimental.

10. Stephany Nunneley

@9 As long as they stay away from anything Paramore -ish they could get Betty White as a singer for all I care. (hate that band) (sorry if anyone here likes it)

11. Maximum Payne

@3 Yep same thing with me. I thought in beginning it was impossible but imaginaerum was so much better album then Dark passion play.
    Dark River and Song of myself are amazing!

12. OrbitMonkey

Typical DSB with his right-on sexism. Metal needs more female lead singers not less!!

13. Ireland Michael

@10 No worries about that. Anette is no pop singer.

@11 I don’t think he’s being sexist. I think he’s trying to say that most female singers get shoe-horned into horribly cliquey stereotypes, when they can obviously do much better.

*checks link* You know that… that’s actually not a bad cover. At least she can hold a note. And it actually suits her voice. As she gets older, I could totally see her gravitating more towards stuff like that.

14. Sadismek

@12 Wow. Lars really looks like he’s fapping at 1.41!

15. DSB

@12 Haha.

I don’t know what we need more or less of, but I do know that you won’t be taken seriously if you don’t bring the attitude.

No one’s interested in a pretty little porcelain diva invading their space, they want a booze swilling bitch they can actually respect.

In that sense, heavy metal has always favored guys, but I think that just makes it all the more awesome that you have chicks, who are actually ready to match them every step of the way.

What better way of proving your worth than out-rocking the guys?

I don’t know a lot vocals that are rougher than that of Sabina Classen for example, and supposedly the ladies from Girlschool used to shock Lemmy with their backstage manners back in the day. There is such a thing as male groupies!

16. Stephany Nunneley

@15 Takes a lot to shock Lemmy I would presume. Wow.

17. DSB

@16 Something about having a guy on the floor, under the bar, performing a certain act while they all had a bit of whiskey after the show :P

18. Stephany Nunneley

@17 I should have been in a metal band……….

19. Ireland Michael

@18 Well, you definitely have the hair.

20. Stephany Nunneley

:p

21. JonFE

Didn’t know vg247 sports so many fellow metalheads \m/.

As an early fan of NightWish, I must admit I prefer Tarja’s stuff more (although Imaginaerum is more tailored to Anette’s voice scale than Dark Passion Play and it shows).

Those looking for a non-conversational female metal singer, should check out Arch Enemy’s Angela Gossow, that woman has some balls!

22. DSB

Stuff like giving a workshop in growling is part of the reason why Angela Gossow leaves herself so open to being labeled a poser.

People have been doing it for the better part of 30 years, it’s not exactly hard to do.

Smoke, drink hard liquor, get pissed, exhale.

I quite like the skirt though! Certainly wears that sort of thing better than Matti Kärki would.

23. Ireland Michael

You never answered my question, DSB.

24. DSB

I think Nightwish is a circus act, in the same category as Evanescence or Transylvanian Beat Club or Lordi.

It just kinda evolved on the fringes of everything else, like melodic death metal or nu-metal in the 90′s. It has no real bearing on the core styles, but it allows people to get a bit of a heavy fix, and move on with their lives. They’re the sort of bands you could have a bat mitzvah or confirmation, or increasingly, really just Wacken.

Wacken is kinda symptomatic of that whole branch of evolution. They went from a real metal festival to one that started outlawing bottles, rivets, spikes, stagediving, bulletbelts, crowd surfing, and cameras on the festival grounds. It’s like everything has to be safe enough to bring your 3 year olds into the front row, and that just goes against everything I know.

Personally I’m just more into the old virtues. I’m not impressed by anyone trying to be harmonic, glamorous or technically sound, I just want them to bring the attitude 110% every time.

There’s a lot to be said for all the different aspects of the whole scene, way too much for a comment, but some of them just don’t really mix.

25. absolutezero