Ninja Gaiden dev fears “strange and bizzare” violence focus

Thursday, 15th March 2012 00:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Team Ninja boss Yosuke Hayashi is in charge of a franchise noted for its violence and gore, but worries too many games fail to give violence the proper treatment.

“Since a few years ago I felt the lack of potential in meaningless expressions of violence that were dominating games,” Hayashi told GamesIndustry.

“If games just continued on the path of having more blood and more body parts flying everywhere then this would just lead to some strange and bizarre direction in gaming.

“If you are to have violence in a game there needs to be some meaning behind this. After all, the gaming industry has matured to a level which can accommodate this.”

Hayashi said it was this philosophy which drove Team Ninja to put a narrative emphasis on consequence in Ninja Gaiden 3, so that players would feel the impact and results of violence rather than just watching the ketchup splatters.

Ninja Gaiden 3 does not include the famous dismembered limbs of previous entries in the series, although there’s plenty of violence otherwise. It’s due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 20 in the US and March 23 in Europe. A Wii U version will follow.

1. LOLshock94

This is why this will suck

2. HauntaVirus

They got soft, I’ve never heard of a sequel(besides NG3)that reduced blood/gore.

3. The_Red

They say “more blood, gore and body parts flying” don’t suit the now more mature gaming but let me tell you: Less or more blood and gore have NOTHING to do with gaming maturing as a medium.

Even the goriest of games like Dead Space can be deep and mature while even an E rated party game can betray that notion. So, shut the fuck up and just stop trying to kill this once beloved franchise. Also I’m pretty sure your cardboard cutout female characters with humongous, jiggling breasts pretty much destroy the whole “games are mature so less blood and gore” argument.

4. FeaturePreacher

There doesn’t need to be a meaning to violence. As much as a developer may try, all a player needs to do is ignore the meaning and go for the violence. Even if a developer tries to go for meaningless violence, a player could find meaning in it if they want. It’s up to the player to find or discard meaning no matter what the developer tries to do. Can’t wait for Itagaki to show how it’s done once again with Devil’s Third.

5. mr_krunchi

C’mon guys. We should at least give it a chance when it releases. We can’t say they dropped the ball yet. I do, too, have my doubts as I’ve played the other two over and over (through the many re-releases lol) and I was expecting it to be the same. But maybe this new turn can really bring the series back up. I’m not gonna lie, I’m not sure if just a new story with the same blood & gore as the last ones would cut it for me. (But I want my Ayane back as playable T______T) We’ll just have to see.

6. Wraithbane

Let’s be honest. The gameplay so far looks like a mere shadow of its former self. The supposed ‘morals’ and consequences culuminated in a poorly voice acted soldier begging for his life, claiming that the ninja who just slaughtered all his comrades in a flash of un-needed button promts and poorly executed combat should spare his life because he has a family. Yeah. That’s going to work. May I also point out that the PS3 release of both NG sigma and NG sigma 2 had almost no gore in what-so-ever. Compare NG sigma 2 and this and decide which is more gory. Sigma 2 with decapitations resulting in fountains of purple light or this with blood spraying up the walls. But remember, no mid-combat amputation equals less violence. The devs need to make up their minds regarding this game. They are conflicted on the points that they want to make and as a result they have made what should have been a great sequel/follow up to two brilliant games into a mediocre trudge through a game that’s not quite sure if it wants to have morals or bloody, violent combat. That and I really don’t see the online mode working. At all.

7. NeoSquall

I guess they tried to avoid the “Neverdead route”.