Molyneux “bored to death with fucking controllers”

Friday, 9th March 2012 13:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Departed Lionhead boss Peter Molyneux has had it with “fucking controllers”, saying he’s “bored to death” with them.

“The joy must be, for me, is discovering it yourself,” Molyneux told Digital Spy at the recent Xbox Spring Showcase, referring to the lack of tutorials in Kinect-centric Fable: The Journey.

“I’m going to get totally over the top here, and this is the stuff that gets me in trouble. I’m just bored to death with fucking controllers. I am!

“[A controller] is about as experimental as a brick these days. Because you know what it is, whatever game you do, you pick up this controller and you do the same. Your thumb moves here, you can’t move your thumb like this, you can only move it like this.

“You finger goes here, you pull the trigger, and you expect an arrow to be fired, a shot to be fired from a gun, whatever it is, and you use this finger occasionally. That’s it. That’s it.”

He continued: “And this is the whole of your experience, the entirety. 100% of your experience in this game is what you do with this thumb and this finger. That sounds rubbish.

“If I would come into this Spring Showcase – and let’s imagine if the world was the other way round. Imagine if we had Kinect and I came in and said look, this is the best gaming device in the entire world, and you said, ‘Oh really? What’s it do?’ You can use your thumb, this finger and this thumb – you’d slaughter me!”

Molyneux added further, in what must be a candidate for quote of the year, to compare the controller to UK teen soap Hollyoaks.

“There’s got to be more, man. There’s got to be more than that. This is like the Hollyoaks of gaming. I mean, it is,” he said.

“Okay, you can sit and watch Hollyoaks from ’til the cows come home and you can feel your life draining away from you. I just want people to approach a gaming experience and think, ‘What if I do this?’”

Molyneux announced earlier this week he was to leave the Fable developer after 15 years to start anew at 22 Cans, although will continue to be a creative consultant on Fable: The Journey.

The news has been celebrated, to say the least.

1. LOLshock94

And this is why you will always be a cunt.

2. Cormac

Fuck off Molyneux seriously.

Completely agree #1

3. G1GAHURTZ

What a fool.

4. Zana

“Just doing some more Microsoft PR before leaving.”

5. PenTaFH

I’d figure a dick would, in most cases, be bored with copulating with controllers way before a cunt would.

Otherwise, I really agree with your statement.

6. elisio

Another idiot rant from Molyneux? *yawn*

7. Telepathic.Geometry

*sigh*

8. minxamo

Everyone hates him for things like this, but I can see what he means.
    He sees gaming in a different way from most people, his games aren’t particularly challenging or story driven, but they’re experimental, and he’s clearly trying to do something different from everyone else, which, considering how stale the industry in general is becoming, is a very good thing.
    I may not like all of his games, but he’s a damn good developer.

9. silkvg247

I can see where he is coming from! Take the boring TV remote. Oh the yawnsome times I’ve had pointing the damn thing, pressing my channel button and seeing the TV magically flip to my watching needs.

Surely in this day and age we can do MORE? I want to control my channel flipping by doing the can-can with flaming miniature hula hoops attached to each ankle, whilst singing the national anthem – the pitch of course giving me full control over which channel is eventually chosen.

As for the practical mouse, don’t even get me started! Why I find it idiotic and cumbersome that I have to move a pointer on a screen and click or drag to do things. Instead, surely we can evolve the hardware to use webcams and microphones so I can point my pinky, say PICK UP! And then point elsewhere and say MOVE HERE! We could even have HAND GESTURES(tm) so a triple clap shuts down windows, and a double klingon sign orders pizza.

.. ok in all seriousness, sounds to me like he’s more bored of gaming than anything, but can’t admit it. Controllers work.. they just suck for FPS games. I’ve already got a fix for that, add a trackball instead of a thumbstick. Other than that they’re pretty much spot on. Peter, Peter Peter, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Yes there are going to be opportunities to use motion sense in games but it shouldn’t be the be all and end all and current tech is jusst too fucking laggy and inaccurate for anyone to take it seriously anyway.

10. G1GAHURTZ

^^

LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

11. Erthazus

Ahahahahahaha.

that makes him a fucking liar and PR Moron. Now i hate him officially.

I remember when he was at Microsoft he said that: OMG, EKSBAWKSTHREESIXTY IZ REVOLUTION.

12. polygem

it´s molyneux: you gotta read between the lines. i read it like this: he´s bored by the standard input devices we are all so used to. he´s even bored by them because they are extremeley predictable. he wants new, fresh experiences in games and thinks it´s his job as a gaming developer to create exciting new stuff rather than copying stuff over and over again. i think that´s damn right.

13. Ge0force

To be honest I was bored to death with Fable 3.

14. OlderGamer

And the reader response to this is one of the biggest reasons we have a stagnet games line up today. Hope you all enjoy Call of Battlefield 47, I am sure it will be the best game ever made for killing brown people.

I really doubt he is calling for the mass extermination of wired pieces of plastic. But instead is looking forward to expanding and finding fresh ways to interact with games. I hate to tell you this but some of the best software on the planet doesn’t use a PS360 style control pad. Also some of the best selling.

From touch screen iOS games like Angry Birds to Dance games to Kinect, Move, and Wii. Or even DS Stylis games. Oh may, ready for this? Even the touch screen on the back of the championed Vita offers creative new ways for developers to present games and tweak the way they are played. Even the PC offers more ways to lay out the controls.

Really sometimes all readers see is “so and so hates you and the games you play”.

15. HeavyD-Love

Well that’s funny…….cause I’m bored to death with fucking Fable.

@13 + 1

16. Da Man

#9 Funnily enough, many of what you describe I do with the trackpad. Last time I used a mouse was actually about a year ago. The Kinect works amazingly well with interfaces too.

And the trackball idea is rubbish, that thing might work as a mouse replacement for videogames but you have to use other buttons on gamepad as well you know, like the triggers. How would you hold the pad and properly apply pressure then.. And on top of that you would have to place it on some solid surface all the time.. MLG Pros can play with the thumbsticks and very well at that. If they can do it, anyone willing can.

17. Dragon246

Its his views, no one should flame him for that. I have to admit that when I first thought of playing a game with dualshock I thought it has too many buttons to control but now I am totally fine with it. Vita has more control options than dualshock, but its great too.
    Motion gaming has expanded console market into untapped territories even though I dont like motion controls.
    He should not be flamed for voicing his opinions.

18. Kuwabara

Time to switch over to playstation 3 molyneux!! No wonder why your fucking bored..