Updated battling shown in new FFXIII-2 trailer

Thursday, 1st December 2011 10:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

According to Andriasang, Final Fantasy XIII-2 combat has been improved over the original. The video below the break, released today, shows the “new Instant Paradigm Shift, the QTE-like cinematic actions, and updated paradigm customization interface. The clip also shows Noel and Serah fighting alongside Snow.”

I can’t argue with that. Watch for yourself. It’s out early next year for PS3 and 360.

1. OrbitMonkey

I wonder if 360 fanboys still feel it was a epic victory that Final Fantasy went multiformat?

And I wonder how many wish it had stayed with Sony?

2. Erthazus

Auto-battle still exists which is going to be a clusterfuck again.

@1,
    A lot of FF and Sony fanboys still wish it to be at Sony’s console to this date. :D

3. Deacon

SQenix would have more space to play with had it not gone multiplat. Which is a shame. Though some would argue that they don’t need it.

I really don’t get the hate for XIII’s battle system. It was by far the best in the series since X (which was plain as fuck), and looks set to get even better with XIII-2.

I’ve already written off the storyline, but I’m still looking forward to the amazing graphics, soundtrack, and battle system.

4. Erthazus

@Deacon, Battle system is really great, but Auto-attack is a bit lame. Because in FFXIII “X” was the button i pressed most of the time.

5. Deacon

I hear ya.. and yes, there was a lot of that.

I just think they streamlined a lot of the process, whilst still leaving you in (pretty much) full control of each characters actions.

XII’s gambit system was good, but, IMO, TOO niggly and fiddly.

I don’t see the need to tell 3 or 4 characters all to attack – making one button press into several.

Give ‘em their roles and let them crack on. 9 times out of ten they will do exactly what they would have done were they controlled manually.

6. DaMan

I preferred FF to stay with Nintendo back when they jumped ship in 1996, then to this day we ‘d have great games like Xenoblade and Last Story instead of interactive movies with pompous midis and asinine plots.

7. ManuOtaku

#6 Xenoblade is the best JRPG and/or RPG this gen hands down IMHO, last story was good but Xenoblade Rocks hard.

8. silkvg247

I wish they’d patch the original to have this system.

That said I’m getting on a bit better with it after finding what I believe to be a benefitial glitch; i.e. if you shift at the right time you get your action bars filled up so you cna basically chain off 10 attacks insetad of 5..

9. Deacon

@6 – but then we wouldn’t have had FFVII as it was/is !

‘Do you REALISE WHAT YOU’VE DONE ?’

[ALSO] Is it worth buying a Wii for Xenoblade alone???
    I am seriously contemplating this.

10. DaMan

#9 Exactly what I preferred, we would have it the FF VI way.

11. Deacon

@10 nah mate.. I bite my thumb at thee.

12. ManuOtaku

#9 If you dont mind slightly better graphics than ps2 JRPG games, then i say yes, because it is IMHO the best of this gen period, better than FF XIII, Lost oddisey (which i also love) for sure.
    P.S and also buy the composite cable it helps a little bit.

13. DaMan

#11 Meh.

And CC would be much better at that, as well as Mana. I ‘d trade those cgs for better gameplay and dungeons in a millisecond.

14. lexph3re

13-2 is stepping it up. I still haven’t given up on FF yet(even though I hate(dislike) lightning)I think some people just forget that there’s nothing wrong with an established franchise like FF. That without the wide appeal and recognition that FF has we would’ve never got things like Last story or Xenoblade. Those game’s are still under the radar and just don’t pull enough revenue to justify sequels or continuations. And that’s partially Squares fault for poor marketing. But, Gamer’s share the blame as well for poor support.

I still think square has plenty to offer from their style and I think seeing Last story FF 13, 13-2 all in the same gen warrants a bit of comfort that they will appease all of their fans no matter what.

15. Deacon

@12 thanks mate. I’d love to find a cheap bundle. Not bothered by the graphics, I just love what I’ve seen of it.

It’s really fucking anoying that games like The Last Story and Xenoblade are released on a system that isn’t exactly a ‘core’ or ‘traditional’ platform ; (

I had Lost Odyssey and was absolutely loving it. That is until my 360 chewed up the second disc, prompting the removal of the (obscenely loud) 360 from my life.

16. DUFFKING

Erz wouldn’t FF13 be a bit unplayable without Auto Battle? Unless you slowed the game down massively.

17. Phoenixblight

Not so I played the game entirely without the use of Auto Battle because it just became a button mashing fest if you used it.

18. Ireland Michael

This looks almost completely identical to the last game.

Sad thing is, my love for the series in the past is probably going to make me pick them up anyway, under the misguided hope that this time, they might get it right. But I know they won’t.