Lack of fan demand saw Silent Hill 4 left out of HD Collection

Tuesday, 23rd August 2011 03:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Silent Hill 4: The Room isn’t in the Silent Hill HD Collection because Konami isn’t sure people want it.

“We really wanted to focus on the we knew fans cared the most about since we needed to put in the effort to put them in HD, redo the sound, and do all these things,” series producer Tomm Hulett told Siliconera.

“We didn’t want to give them something we weren’t sure they wanted 100 percent.”

Silent Hill 4 received a mixed reaction from fans and critics for its departures from the formula of earlier games. It has continued to prove divisive, with some hailing it as the best in the series, and others as the worst.

Don’t give up on The Room just yet – the producer said if fans enjoyed the HD revamps more games might be forthcoming, but for now, the team is focussed on delivering the titles gamers really want.

“If you’re a Silent Hill fan you either love 2 or 3 the best. Here, you get both of them. Everyone’s happy,” he said.

The Silent Hill HD Collection is expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 later this year.

1. alimokrane

what a load of pants! if this is truly for the fans, it should have included the first game but no, remaking the first game is probably too expensive, just come out and say it or shut up all together

2. Phoenixblight

You have the answer and yet you are pissed about it. Grow up buy SIlent hill on the PSN for 5$ and quit whinning.

3. TraceableX

Bullshit. They just want to milk it.

SH4 is way better than any titles they made (american devs)

4. triggerhappy

New voice acting for the HD collection is horrible btw…

5. Phoenixblight

God ill informed author. THe stuff is not mixed yet any person that actually knows a little bit about audio can tell you that. You think all the audio in video games comes out sounding like that good, you would be ill informed. That and Konami stated it them self.

6. triggerhappy

@ 5: What does that even mean?

edit: wait… are you slating Jim Sterling or me for posting the link?

7. Phoenixblight

The article. Its about the audio that was released at gamescom. Its not mixed which means its not cleaned up so it doesn’t sound like its in a phone booth like that audio exactly sounds that. Tom Hulett and Konami both stated this is the raw audio and not the cleaned up version.

8. triggerhappy

Ahh right, I though the voices sounded a bit… ‘louder’ than they should be. I played SH2 again on PC in april so when I heard the new voices I did a real life LOL. I think the line “Are you taping again? C’mon.” will always sound terrible no matter how much you pay the voice actress :P

9. Phoenixblight

Yeah the seems like they are using the same script which is disappoint in a way because its so cheesey in some parts like the part you mentioned and Eddie part. But whatever Thats part of its charm.

10. triggerhappy

Yeh I suppose you can let the older titles off the hook for the massive amounts of cheese in the dialog :) Infact I don’t think theres one uncheesey line in the first Resident Evil but I still love it :P

11. osric90

Want to help saving a cute little puppy? Buy Silent Hill 4: The Room instead of this “collection”.

EDIT: About the acting and the sound being raw, I’m into the filmmaking industry and I’ve worked in some voice overs… Let me tell you: NO SOUND MASTERING WILL MAKE A BAD VOICE ACTING SOUND BETTER, unless you mute the sound and put subtitles instead, a la Link (Zelda) and that’s totally ridiculous, right? You can make the context and environment “sound” into the voice but you just can’t turn these actors into Nolan Norths.

12. Blerk

Silent Hill 4 was pretty poor, I doubt many people will mourn it. It is a shame they couldn’t do something about the first game, though – it’d have been nice to see that spruced up a little and given better controls.

13. Stoopid_Snot

:( I would love to replay SH4 again… :( actually didn’t finished it :(

14. CycloneFox

Finished SH4 and it was ok. The game’s worthy to look into, but you don’t neccessarily really need to play through like you need to in SH2. And btw. The game gets harder and harder and is really frustrating by the end, so you can better play something else, that’s more rewarding. But I still love SH4′s intro, music and atmosphere.

@Voices in SH2: SH1 and 2 need better voice acting. That’s a fact and I kind of like the new voices. I will play it through again anyway.^^

15. DaMan

Only way I ‘d get the Sh rerelease is if the original was included. I barely finished the fourth one when it came out, it was an unnecessary game disguised as a series entry.