Quick Quotes: Catherine is “largest launch in the 20-year history of Atlus”

Tuesday, 2nd August 2011 19:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“Catherine has exceeded our highest expectations. It released last week to tremendous critical acclaim and fan response, bolstered by the release of a demo a couple weeks prior, and continues to generate discussion among fans for its mature themes, engrossing subject matter, and frantic, challenging gameplay. It is fitting, then, that Catherine can boast the largest launch in the 20-year history of Atlus, and continues to see strong sales at retail.” – Tim Pivnicny, VP of sales and marketing at Atlus to IGN.

1. KrazyKraut

sex sells…^^

2. YoungZer0

So glad to hear that. To be honest i expected the complete opposite. Hopefully this will encourage more developers to try something different.

3. Xuchilbara

And to think that they were debating releasing it in the US….

4. NeoSquall

I’m still waiting for my canadian parcel…

I think it will arrive in September :\

5. Ireland Michael

I really don’t understand the huge fuss behind this game.

It’s a pseudo-intellectual puzzle game, and not a particularly good one either. Yet it seems to receiving an insane amount of attention from people.

6. Gekidami

Learn the lesson devs: If you’re making a generic puzzle game, slip in an anime between stages. Thats instant gold, apparently.

7. Sini

Atlus = niche paradise.

8. DLTDawnlight

Good thing localization is never a problem for ATLUS. *cough* Namco Bandai

9. Gurdil

Catherine is not just another puzzle game people. I understand that you don’t like it but you just can’t say it’s a puzzler with hentai in between stages. That’s simply not true. If you play the demo you’ll get it immediately.

10. Phoenixblight

Its pretty apparent what people haven’t played it. This is a a puzzler but this not a sex game or anything of the sort, full of innuendos sure but what game isn’t? This is a fantastic game and I am glad I picked it up because I was pleasantly surprised.

11. Ireland Michael

@9 @10 I have played it. And it’s a boring puzzle games with nice looking but superficially intellectual cut-scenes in between them.

12. ultramega

Again, your opinion. Many feel otherwise.

—-

It’s nice to see a company like Atlus getting the consumer support they deserve. They’ve always been really great to their fans, and developed exceptional titles.