Rumour – Resistance 3 to require online pass

Wednesday, 6th July 2011 01:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An unverified pack shot image has surfaced suggesting Resistance 3 multiplayer will require a online pass.

The pack shot seems to have originated with Konsolentreff and advertises something called a “PSN Pass” included in the 320GB console bundle.

No further details are listed, but it looks much like EA’s Online Pass System, which is a one-time use code bundled in with new purchases of the game allowing access to online multiplayer. Those with a second hand copy need to purchase the pass separately for a premium.

Sony has utilised an online pass system in the past, in ModNation Racers and PSP title SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3. It doesn’t seem insane to suggets it’d probably do the same thing for one of its biggest first-party multiplayer titles of the year. We’ll ask.

Resistance 3 is due exclusively on PlayStation 3 in early September.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. HauntaVirus

GREED

2. Razor

Could very well be true.

3. rrw

@1 in case you dont notice, every profit making company is greed

4. JimFear-666

i’ve got nothing against mp-pass since every game i buy is new. Yep i’ve got a job so i dont have to abase my self and buy some 2nd hand game.

5. triggerhappy

^ yeh same, if im interested enough in a game i’ll pre-order it on amazon and get it delivered, day one, sealed.

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

They do that because of GAMESTOP are making huge profits, while developers bust their ass off and dont get as many sales because of used game market. I love those Online pass that comes with new games.

EA, Sony, Microsoft, who ever does it wont matter because I support them all.

As long its no Paid DLC that comes on disc Bullshit.

7. TikiSadZombie

I always buy my games new, so not a problem for me.

8. KrazyKraut

have no problem with that, because I will buy it new!!! *yaaaar*
    And its the first time Sony will use it…so look at other publisher, how long they have it…

Oh and btw….I bought Fear 3, and a lot of ppl dont have a new or online pass activated version, thats why I cant play with them the other online-pass exclusive modes….and that sucks.

9. NightCrawler1970

Don’t get it, why not Playstation plus be “PAY TO PLAY” instead of giving 50% off on games and avatars… now you be a “PSN plus member” and have to buy a stupid pass to play online.. i call it BULLSHIT!!!

If this become the future of gaming online to pay, than inmerge in the plus member 10 bucks a month to play all games that will come with “PAY”….

Like $169,- a year for PSN +

10. Lounds

tbh 2nd hand games market is massive and its not like the online pass is expensive.

11. varsas

It’s a good thing I buy games new and quite frankly second hand buyer should pay to help maintain the online infrastructure.

12. DrDamn

It’s *free* if you buy the game *new*. This is just like EA does, just like THQ does, just like many other games do. It’s a publisher point not a network point – hence it’s not included in PSN+ or Xbox Live for that matter. It’s a tool for the publishers to make some money from the second hand market.

Also worth reading the editorial piece Rob Fahey did recently on EG regarding the 3DS Resident Evil game save issue. Publishers don’t want to kill the 2nd hand market out right, they benefit from it in some ways. To charge for this sort of thing when the game is second hand makes sense as there is an ongoing cost to the publisher to maintain servers etc.

13. Lewis247

I still think it’s terrible. I mean think how many games come out it’s not like everyone is able to get the game as soon as it comes out new, some might have to wait till much later which could result in checking the used games section.

The game however looks terrible and I can imagine many ‘new’ copies lying around.

14. reask

I kinda see there point actually.