Microsoft: Crytek has “really fallen in love with Kinect,” “a perfect marriage for us”

Monday, 4th July 2011 14:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer has said that with the development of Ryse, Crytek has “fallen in love” with Kinect, adding the relationship between the German company and MS is “a perfect marriage.”

Cliche central aside, Spencer said that it had looked at bringing in Crytek as a first-party studio before.

“I do think it’s about quality,” he told OXM UK.

“And the relationship with Crytek is a perfect example. The first time we met with [Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli] and the team was around seven or eight years ago, and we started talking about what it’d mean for them to become first party.

“And it was a process of what do you guys want to do, what’s unique for us, and they were just going to do Crysis, and they’d just come out of Far Cry, and we said we’ve probably got enough military future shooters, so go do that.

“Then they came up with this idea around Ryse, and now they’ve really fallen in love with Kinect, and it’s a perfect marriage for us.”

Ryse currently has no date yet. Expect a big blowout in Crytek’s home turf of Germany next month at gamescom.

1. Deinsleaf

And here I am thinking they were a PC first developer.

2. Maximum Payne

Microsoft: Crytek has “really fallen in love when we pay them 20 mills to make shitty kinect game.”

3. Erthazus

@2, Exactly LOL :D

4. alimokrane

They’ll fall in love with anyone with a big fat cheque! give it a rest MS, the core gamers won’t accept Kinect. What’s funny is, after the christmas period, they come out straight away saying they had sold 10million units of it worldwide but here we are 6 months later and they havent released a SINGLE figure Kinect-related. Its sales have crashed since then and people are over it.

5. MadFingerz

Ryse will look so silly on Kinect. It would make much more sense on something like Move. It’s a pity really, I’ve been longing for a game like this for a long time but I don’t think the current technology can deliver the experience I’m picturing.

6. James Mac

Much though I’d love Microsoft to go on a spending spree and pick up some serious first party studios, I just don’t see that happening.

7. Yoshi

I can hear a divorce incoming…

8. badboy_122

Please don’t have exclusive kids ..please … don’t be like the others Crytek

Stay on Birth Control !!!!

9. IL DUCE

@4 First of all…the first thing they announced was Kinect selling 1 million units in 10 days…then 8 million in the first 60 days…Second of all, it was MARCH 9th 2011 that they announced selling 10 million units…do you expect them to give you monthly updates? it’s been four months…I would say in September, after six months has passed, they will give some more figures…probably hovering around 12 mil or so…

@6 Idk its possible…even though 360 sells more third party games than PS3 usually…they gotta at least attempt to compete with Sony’s first party line up…

10. moargamezpleeze

Microsoft: Crytek falling in love with the money we are giving them.

11. GamezIdiot

SHYT

12. Ge0force

#9 PS Move is Wii HD, but at least it’s useful in core games. Yes, Kinect sold 10 million copies, but is merely used for dance central and zumba fitness;

13. MadFingerz

@9 “No matter what anyone says Kinect is still unique and PS Move is WiiHD…so keep hating”

hur dur, fanboysm much? In that perspective, Kinect isn’t really that unique either since there’s something called eye toy. But unique or not the fact remains that there’s barely a decent game on the kinect catalog so far (Child of Eden is the only that comes to mind). I still think it was silly of MS to go the “your body is the controller” direction. For me what they should have tried to do was more like everything can be the controller. Pick up your TV remote/ruler/whatever and it becomes a sword in the game, a simple book can bee your wheel, that sort of thing. I’m not hating just for the hell of it, it’s just that holding nothing in your hands just doesn’t work for the majority of games players are interested in playing.

14. badboy_122

so … does that mean that Crytek will be like EPIC & Remedy or what ?

because my hate bar to Microsoft is through the roof already … Microsoft Is really a gigantic pain in my a** !!!

15. Moonwalker1982

How would it make more sense on Move and not with Kinect? I really would like to know that.

16. itsucks

wouldn’t he? Having a giant spartan fucking him in the ass with his little faux glowing dildo. So much better.

17. KL

^you mean like one of those?

i guess one like you can see something as he wishes depending to his cravings

18. MadFingerz

^15
    Well with Kinect you only wave your arms without holding anything. With Move you can at least pretend the controller is a sword, shield, etc, lol. Also, I’m still intrigued as to how they will make you navigate in this type of games using Kinect.

But I do admit that Kinetc’s full body recognition is handy for certain actions. A combination of both techs with some improvements would be ideal and probably what we’re going to see on future generations.

19. Gurdil

@18 Hum… You know you actually CAN hold anything you want while playing Kinect, right? If you feel like using a spoon to pretend it’s a sword, just go for it and grab one, Kinect won’t bitch about that… Obviously, if you take a shield it will be much more complicated since Kinect won’t be able to scan your arm but anything that fits into your hand works.

20. MadFingerz

^Yes but what I don’t know is if the kinect can track your hand movement as precisely as the eye toy can track the Move. With the Move the sword in the game would move exactly the same way as the controller. Not sure if the same happens with Kinect. If it does, than that’s great, although there’s still the problem about navigation.

21. Gurdil

@20 I’m with you on the navigation problem, that’s definitely the BIG flaw of Kinect. As for the tracking precision, I’m not sure TBH. But I know MS are constantly improving that. For example, they can now track your fingers, so I guess the rotation of your wrist can be calculated by Kinect as well as the position of your fingers (thus telling how the sword should be rendered on screen), but that’s still to be tested IMO. Obviously though, if you try and do tricks with your spoon or w/e you take as a sword, like twirling it or smthg, that won’t be taken into account. But I guess it’s seeing a little too far, I don’t picture myself doing that while playing lol

22. ExxonValdez

Idk if there will ever be a hardcore game on kinect.