Microsoft has “great optimism” for post-Bungie Halo

Monday, 20th June 2011 12:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft corporate VP of its interactive business, Dennis Durkin, has said the company feels “great” in regards to the post-Bungie future of Halo.

The company has lined up Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for a November launch to celebrate the series’ tenth anniversary, with the big one being Halo 4 next year from 343 Industries, the first two big releases since Bungie ended its involvement with the Halo IP with Reach last September.

“I feel great about the future of Halo. The team that we built inside 343 industries – a lot of them have been working on Halo at some point throughout their careers and those teams are kind of… as you know, development teams are very, very fluid. So if you went and looked at the pedigree of a lot of those people, at some point over the course of the past 10 years, they’ve been on Halo products,” Durkin told IG.

“There is a huge, rabid Halo fan base out there that’s really excited to consume more great Halo experiences. I think this holiday is going to be great with the 10-year anniversary and sort of that gift of being able to play Halo 1 again, remastered,” he added.

“I think that will wet people’s whistle again for the new Halo 4 that’s coming the following holiday. So I actually really feel good about the cadence and sequencing of building up that team.”

Expect more Chief than you know what to do with it soon.

1. Lewis247

Super excited to see how 343 handle the franchise, not been this excited for a halo game since 3! Not that I wasn’t excited for reach, obviously, It’s just it didn’t seem as massive or as important than 3. Halo Reach is a stunning game as well, so will be nice to see how 343 are going to improve on it.

343 are bungie 1.5 in my eyes, still the talent that made halo so amazing but some new great talent on board to give it that extra edge. Can’t wait.

2. YoungZer0

Can’t be that hard to make a decent Halo Game. Just add some Copy Pasta levels, a boring storyline, ugly alien and armor design, good gameplay and call it a day.

3. DaMan

^ Seeing as how they have yet to fix the bloom in Reach, as well as default maps were a reason for a huge backlash from the community, not to mention some of the ridiculous armor abilities pissed off most, it’s obvious you have no idea what you’re on about.

Not that you ever knew what you’re talking about. Oh well.

4. Erthazus

“I feel great about the future of Halo.”

So it’s going to be a good game?

Of course not.

5. Wintroza

Of course Microsoft says that. The Halo franschise is their flagship for christ sake. Don’t want to sound like a smartass but it’s not THAT hard to figure it out.

6. YoungZer0

@3: You’re the one who doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I was never talking about the armor abilities, never talking about the multiplayer maps. My criticism is mainly aimed at the singleplayer.

7. DaMan

@6 Sorry bub, but if you were talking about single player, then in the first place you made a rather poor job explaining your point. Seeing as how you referred to ‘game’ instead of that.

8. Fin

While Halo has its faults, I do enjoy the franchise and am looking forward to what comes next!

9. YoungZer0

@7: I mentioned the boring storyline and the copy pasta levels. If you played some of the Halo games, you’d know right from the start that i was talking about the singleplayer.

10. DaMan

@9 You’ve mentioned sp elements while referring to the whole game, which reads as that sp is the hardest, or perhaps the only hard part to make, thus my reply. Again sorry, people can’t read your mind, buddy.

11. YoungZer0

Well i guess that’s your problem then!

12. DaMan

Not the brightest one either, young one, eh?

13. YoungZer0

Wooosh! That’s the sound of a sarcastic joke, going over your tin-foiled-head.

14. DaMan

Nah, I just happen to have a good taste in sarcasm. Yours on the other hand, is in line with the rest of your posts.

15. YoungZer0

@14: A good taste in sarcasm. Right.

16. DaMan

@15 I’m glad you agree.

17. YoungZer0

@16: Guess your tin-foil-hat also shields you from obvious sarcasm.

18. Lewis247

When people moan about abilities and bloom in halo reach it pisses me off. You are just looking for something to moan about. Not once have I had a problem with any of the shit that pollutes the bungie reach forum to the extent I will never go back to the forums over there. I’ve played a fair bit of halo reach online, not once found a problem. I’m a much better player than the vast majority I have played at in team swat and so playing there I face no problem with this ‘bloom’ bullshit everyone seems to make it out as a game breaker. Completed the campaign solo on legendary and again found no problems just a great campaign.

19. DaMan

@17 Well, like I said your sarcasm is that of a person with poor taste. Reading comprehension isn’t your thing either.

20. YoungZer0

@19: You’re implying that your “taste” in sarcasm is superior to mine, which is absolutely stupid. Just admit that you didn’t get it and be done with it.

21. DaMan

@20 A bad joke is a bad joke, do you seriously disagree with that? A good example of it would be a game called ‘Bulletstorm’.

22. YoungZer0

Now you’re trying to change the subject, so really didn’t get it.

23. OrbitMonkey

I lost a lot of interest in Halo after Bungie killed off Sergeant Johnson & Commander Miranda Keyes in what I thought was bullshit attempt for emotional impact.

24. YoungZer0

@23: They tried the same thing in Reach, but there you never actually had the chance to care about the characters.

25. DaMan

If i know that you’re being sarcastic, and don’t find it funny, then that ‘s bad taste to me. That’s what I said.

Anyway.

@OrbitMonkey you might try Odst, the game is the exact opposite of that. I highly disliked Reach campaign though, thought it was downright poor.

26. Fin

SHUT THE FUCK UP

27. YoungZer0

@25: Ah, i see, so YOU Decide what’s bad taste, and what’s not?

Cave Johnson, we’re done here.

28. DaMan

@27 Well, since you think you can decide what’s a good ‘alien design’, i do believe I can state what i find bad taste in jokes.

29. OrbitMonkey

@25 I’d be very tempted if they made a big budget game set in the ODST universe, as much as i enjoy The Chief I always liked the human elements of Halo.