Konami announces MGS, ZoE, Silent Hill HD Collections

Friday, 3rd June 2011 00:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Konami’s officially announced the oft-rumored HD collection for Metal Gear Solid, as well as similar collections for Zone of the Enders and Silent Hill during a pre-E3 event this evening.

Konami’s pre-E3 conference

MGS, Silent Hill, ZoE HD collections coming to PS3 and 360.

The PS3 versions will support the “Transfarring” system, allowing players to switch between PS3, PSP and, eventually, NGP without losing progress.

No announcements to be made regarding Metal Gear Solid: Rising at E3 next week.

Silent Hill: Downpour delayed from autumn to “winter”.

Kojima’s new titles is powered by the Fox Engine, but is still in “planning”.

No release date for MGS3DS given.

During a pre-recorded press conference last night, Hideo Kojima confirmed, via Mega64, that the Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders Collections are coming to PS3 and Xbox 360.

The MGS Collection will feature Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and, as anticipated, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. The Zone of the Enders collection contains the first title in the series, as well as The Second Runner.

Kojima insisted that both collections were not running on emulators. They’ll have new user interfaces for HD resolutions, and will feature Trophy and Achievement support. Each version will also take advantage of the right analog stick and force feedback for PS3 and 360.

Kojima also detailed a brand new transfer and save system known as “Transfarring” for PlayStation platforms. Demonstrating the new tech with Peace Walker, two Kojima Productions staff members transferred a save file from a PSP onto a PS3 and vice versa.

Upon completion, the Transfarring system will allow users to take up where they left off in a game stored on the previous system at any time.

The hope with Transfarring, according to Kojima, is to see it used between PS2-type games along with PS3 and NGP before achieving the ultimate goal: transferring between PS3 and NGP.

The HD collections announced will also support the new Transfarring system on PS3.

Rising a no-show for E3

Despite the good news related to his older games, though, Kojima confirmed that Konami had decided not to make any announcements regarding Metal Gear Solid: Rising at E3 next week. However, concept art and off-screen render footage of Raiden was shown during the press conference, with art director Yoji Shinkawa detailing image.

A 2012 launch is still on track for the game, according to Kojima.

In addition, during an interview with ex-1UP writer Mark MacDonald, Kojima reconfirmed he’s currently working on something new, adding that it’s still in the “planning phase”.

The new title is running on a new engine called the Fox Engine, with off-screen footage of what seemed to be the project in question shown. He didn’t go into specifics as to what it is, or when it’ll be announced, but it will be a multi-platorm affair which will support the aforementioned Transfarring system.

Check out a couple of screens of it on IGN and a good video of it in action here.

Silent Hill wasn’t left out of proceedings, either. Series producer Tomm Hulett announced the Silent Hill Collection, which includes Silent Hill 3 and 2 in HD. Dates and platforms weren’t given.

In addition, Hulett announced Silent Hill: Book of Memories for NGP, but failed to provide any specifics.

Vatra’s Silent Hill: Downpour, originally due for fall, is now set for release this winter on PS3 and Xbox 360. The timeline was confirmed at the end of a new trailer.

MGS3DS, PES 2012, NeverDead shown; new Contra teased

Metal Gear Solid 3DS: Snake Eater was also demoed, with producer Yoshikazu Matsuhana doing the honours.

A trailer was shown, including scenes from the opening segment of the Virtuous Mission and the world’s first halo jump by Big Boss. At the end of the video, something related to Yoshi was teased, but that was the extent of any reveal.

A small collection of screens has also turned up; IGN has them.

According to Matsuhana, the reason 3DS was chosen as the handheld platform for Snake Eater was due to the hardware.

“We felt Snake Eater would be the most appropriate subject for this project,” he said.

A release date was not provided for MGS 3DS at the end of the demonstration.

Next in line for a showing was PES 2012, along with an update from producer Shingo ‘Seabass’ Takatsuka. Afterward, Barcelona and PES cover star Lionel Messi appeared on stage to introduce a brand new trailer for the football title.

After the PES showing, Rebellion and Konami’s NeverDead was shown. The main character, known as Bryce, is immortal, so even if he loses his legs or arms they’ll grow back. The story spans from 500 years ago to the present, with Bryce hunting demons and using his limbs as weapons.

A new trailer was shown for the third-person action title, and it contained an exclusive track provided by Megadeth, known, fittingly, as Never Dead.

The conference ended with what appeared to be something related to a new Contra.

1. Space jockey pilot

WOOOO! every body aboard the hype train!! 2 mins left :D

2. GwynbleiddiuM

it’s so brutally unfair, I stayed up all night and I can’t browse the damn page, anywhere else streaming?

3. Bloodyghost

FUUUUUUUUUU

I hate online stream shit espeically when it acts like this!

Problem Loading Page..It aint working. I am infering thats why the Live Blog is silent since they may be delaying the conference a bit, like CD did, to bring the feed up.

4. Space jockey pilot

wtf is going on with the stream!!

5. Bloodyghost

So far some feed is saying that they see Kojima lecturing some USC grads (for those who dont know about USC its the University of Southern California in the States)

Also right now there talking about Skullgirls, Burger Time and something else.

6. Space jockey pilot

gametrailer do it

7. daytripper

this is ridiculous, they never prepare for these situations

8. rrw

HD Silent Hill, MGS and ZOE collection.

LOL it taped (not live)

9. onlineatron

Haha! I can’t believe it’s pre-recorded!

10. daytripper

from gt

Konami reveals their upcoming lineup, including huge titles from past and present! New HD collections from Silent Hill to Metal Gear Solid and Zone of the Enders, plus news on new products like Metal Gear Solid: Rising, NeverDead and Silent Hill: Downpour!

11. AHA-Lambda

seriously? MGS AND ZOE HD COLLECTIONS!!!

I CAN DIE HAPPY!! ^_^ *squeals*

12. rrw

also for PS360. ps3 version of peace walker have advantage of save file connectivity with PSP

Silent Hill collection : Contains Silent Hill 2 and 3 HD (which is probably the PC versions) TBD
    Metal Gear Solid Collection HD: Contains MGS 1,2,3, and MGS Peace Walker November 2011
    ZOE Collection HD 2012

That’s all I saw besides the Silent Hill Book of Memories NGP game.

13. GwynbleiddiuM

I can’t believe this… oh the horror… how can a company this dump was capable to develop some of my most favorite titles of all times… beats me.. I’m in rage mode…

14. daytripper

i think having a pre recorded show is a great idea for third parties, we all enjoy the big threes conferences for various reasons but seriously i think konami did well here (if u can watch it of course)

i guessed right about having hd collections on 360 also earlier today lol

15. FadeLive

U mad bro? :D

Watching presser from start now, excited to see the MGS HD collection :o

16. Space jockey pilot

“THE FOX ENGINE” i smell something abit fishy about that MGS5 anyone ?

17. onlineatron

The Mega64 bit was cool, even if the announcement was lacklustre.

18. daytripper

all the streams aernt loading for me, i dont know who to get annoyed at all the nerds trying to watch or the websites

19. osric90

Holy sheet, what the faq is going on here!!!!!!! This is insane. Anyway, the Silent Hill collection should have featured the PS1 game too… compared to MGS Collection (if what rrw says is true) Silent Hill Collection is poor. Anyway, very happy with this. MGS HD COLLECTION NOVEMBER 2011… OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I’m gonna have a very, very happy Christmas this year, can’t wait to play the good old MGS games and Peace Walker.

20. GwynbleiddiuM

OK, with MGS HD Collection, I don’t give a shit about the rest of the E3, with the exception of BF3 ofc. rest of the world may burn in hell… I’m gonna die a happy man now.

21. onlineatron

No Rising, boo.

I wonder if we’ll see it at the Microsoft presser?

22. PapaJustify

So Kojima completely becoming a multiplatform hoe? Well, I guess it was inevitable since you can’t make the big cash anymore with exclusives these days. At least the Original MGS will always stay true to its roots.

23. Erthazus

Kojima is done with exclusivity.

I think it’s a huge loss for Sony. Well, thats what you get when your system fails in this generation compared to others.

24. Space jockey pilot

weird seeing peace walker on the 360 its like WTF….

25. PapaJustify

@23 That’s way too harsh to say. As I said exclusives are not that profitable anymore. And it was clear that the PS3 would never be as dominant as the PS2 was.

And you can’t say the PS3 failed. Still has the strongest software line-up and caught up with 360 sales being one year behind. how could that be a fail?

26. GwynbleiddiuM

@EarthDon’t get me wrong I’m a sony fanboy but it’s pretty much their own fault for not making the PS3 more accessible. What bothers me the most is I expected to hear the MGS collection also being announced for PC (Steam) as rumored but that didn’t happened and I’m sad :(

27. daytripper

oh come on guys no need for platform wars

28. Erthazus

@25, no no no… i’m a bit harsh. I mean PS3 did very well on it’s own, but not so great as Sony expected.

to be honest i’m dissapointed that Kojima went multiplatform. The reason for this the same as i say everytime: Stop making cheap ports from consoles to PC or vica versa.
    After Crysis 2 disaster, i feel that Kojima should stay where he belongs… but i’m a minority anyway

but thats my opinion.

29. PapaJustify

@26 What does this have to do with the PS3s accessability? Konami wants the money and they are milking the franchises in every possible way! Wouldnt be surprised if we see this coming to Project Cafe too after it was announced.

Konami had one new title called Neverdead which looked completely dumb. Everything else is milking the franchises until they are dry. The more platforms the better.

30. Erthazus

Interesting thing is that Metal Gear Solid 1 is missing.

Is that Kojima’s surprise for next year 25th anniversary? I mean Metal Gear Solid 1 with new engine?

31. daytripper

“At least the Original MGS will always stay true to its roots.”

and how does this benefit you personally? seriously getting sick of this console insecurity bullshit, its ridiculous.

32. rrw

on interesting note seem bot MGS AND ZOE!! have Transfarring logo. does this mean the collection also for NGP?

33. FadeLive

Mega64 is so damn unfunny it shouldn’t even be legal. Bummed that MGS1 was missing.

@30 Now that would be awesome.

34. daytripper

35. Christopher Jack

@22, Tell that to Nintendo, smashing CoD sales on all platforms with Super Mario Brothers & Mario Kart-I don’t hate Mario but I despise how much hype it gets for such a shallow game, I admit that I enjoy my fair share of shallow games but at least it involves more than saving a princess from a giant mutant turtle-time & time again, it just doesn’t deserve to sell 20million copies, I don’t care how classic the franchise may be.

36. Johnny Cullen

I’m cleaning it all up now. But I just want to take a sec to say… YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8D

37. Bleak Harvest

Woah woah woah. ZONE OF THE ENDERS HD?! Finally some news I give a shit about. I will now play this on loop: http://youtu.be/0oDLObxhtV8

38. mathare92

Sample shots of the FOX Engine at work. (via KP’s E3 site)

Kojima is apparently working hard with the team to make it the leading multi-platform game engine.

39. Dr.Ghettoblaster

While the Metal Gear Solid collection is definitley awesome news, I have to admit disapointment in no MGS1. How can you exclude the origianl MGS from a MGS collection? Hell, I’d be happy if they just threw the PS1 classic version on there with no updgrades whatsoever, at least it’s rightfully on the “collection” disc.

40. Mike

Never thought I’d see MGS on 360. The clearest indication if a level playing field to date.

41. Mike

Shame no MGS1

42. Esper

So with the transfarring system it pretty much confirms the HD collections for the NGP too?

43. OrbitMonkey

I said ages ago that the Metal Gear HD collection would be multiformat. No one believed me, but i knew!! Now where’s my cookie? :D

44. osric90

@OrbitMonkey heres, have this cookie. Now FINALLY 360 fanboys will STOP talking bullshit about brilliant Kojima.

45. Dralen

@39 +1

46. Thalius

Why no Metal Gear Solid 1 in the collection??? Makes no sense
    Still a great collection but we gonna have on the ps3 metal gear solid 2,3,4,4.5(peace walker) and 5.

Isnt Metal Gear Solid on the US PSN???? why not put it on the disc?

47. TonyRomo

I guess there is MGS1 after all. Look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DadfWwlZGJM&feature=player_detailpage#t=953s

48. StolenGlory

I’m not entirely sure what that proves to be honest.

49. Fin

Hmmm, I’m not sure – it does only show MGS2 & 3 on the box – maybe it’s a collection of cutscenes or something?

50. Fin

Think it’s Metal Gear, not Metal Gear Solid.

51. Shubb9

ZOE HD. Soooooo good. Finally.

52. M. K.

I hope they’ll really improve the controls. I couldn’t finish MGS:S because of the damn camera /o\

53. Hunam

Holy fucking shit I’m excited by this. More so because the Silent Hill HD stuff, the PC versions of those games had super high resolution textures, as in higher res than modern day stuff still, so a few tweaks to lighting, facial animation and using those super high res textures and the game will look as good as any modern HD game.

54. SuperCrazyLeprechaun

I was a little disappointed with no mgs 1 but i think that can be downloaded on the psn,still very excited about this though.

55. triggerhappy686

If my friend wasnt in when I discovered this I would have cried a little :)