Catherine to offer alternate cover option in the US

Thursday, 28th April 2011 07:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Atlus has produced alternate Catherine cover art for “sensitive” US consumers.

Both consoles’ versions will release with two covers, one very close to the Japanese original, and another zoomed in to frame the face of the cover girl – and not other parts of her body.

Atlus told Siliconera the alternate covers are intended for retailers uncomfortable displaying the suggestive originals.

“The vast majority of copies available at launch will feature the cover we originally unveiled, essentially the Japanese cover of the game. A small percentage of copies, however, will feature a cover that is more considerate of certain retailers’ broader customer demographic.

“Fans need not worry; Catherine’s cover art is NOT being altered for North America. There is just an extra option being made available for more sensitive shoppers.”

The Xbox 360 version of Catherine features Vincent’s bespectacled girlfriend, Katherine, while the PlayStation 3 copy shows the young temptress Catherine.

You can view all four covers below, in a completely irrational order dictated by pure chance and technical difficulties.

Catherine is expected to launch in the US over its summer. European release is not yet confirmed.

1. loveaya

I’m waiting for the EU version…

2. Panipal2005

Would very much like to import the Xbox 360 version, however I just KNOW Atlus are going to be dickheads and region-lock that version.

3. Suikoden Fan

dont like it at all, also when is eu gonna get confirmation, theres more than the US out there, not that alot of companies like to acknowledge this

4. frostquake

As an American…AMERICA SUCKS!!!! There I said it!! I am so tired of having Everything CENSORED for me!!! Let me make up my OWN FRIGGIN mind, if you please!!!

I know I won’t live to see Censorship die in America..But would love to see the CENSORSHIP WARS!!! that is surely coming.

In the South, Where I “Currently” live, Censorship is MASSIVELY HUGE!!! I just can’t Stand it!!! They pull books from libraries and burn them, they still burn CD’s and DVD’s, have massive protests over anything they consider Obscene, such as a Mother Nursing her Child…FOR CRIPES SAKE!!!! Yes they are trying to pass a law BANNING MOTHERS from nursing in Public!!!!!!!!! Requiring them to go to the EVERY SO CLEAN overflowing with STD DISEASES restrooms to nurse their children.

To top this..These same SCUM of the earth who keep passing these laws, get caught doing all the things they CONDEMN!!!!!!

OMG my Soapbox is frothing….

SIGH!!!!

5. Blerk

Atlus still don’t have a proper European presence, so your best bet is probably to hope that someone like Ghostlight pick it up.

6. frostquake

I want to move back to Portland!

7. Johnny Cullen

I’m gonna look into this today, but I’m pretty certain this has been picked up by someone for Europe anyways.

8. Hunam

@5 Ghostlight doesn’t have a license to publish Xbox 360 games Blerk. Which makes his request pretty moot as if he had a PS3 he could just import.

9. Blerk

Couldn’t they, like… get one? :-D

10. NeoSquall

We can hope that Square Enix (european publisher for Persona 4) would pick this up and just not consider this idiotic “alternative” cover at all for distribution.

11. Stephany Nunneley

You can’t have a game cover with a man’s head between a lady’s legs here in the US, unless it is an x-rated film.

12. osric90

As long as the game isn’t censored and the original covers are there for the fans, fine.