New Longest Journey game possible, says original creator

Friday, 8th April 2011 21:30 GMT By John Callaham

Funcom’s Ragnar Tornquist has hinted that he would like to make a new entry for the developer’s acclaimed PC adventure game franchise, The Longest Journey.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Tornquist said that making a sequel is “absolutely possible”.

However, he added: “It’s just a question of finishing The Secret World and seeing where that’s going and maybe I’ll jump into something else. It would be fun to revisit [The Longest Journey] some time.”

The Secret World is, of course, Funcom’s next big MMO project, and actually has some similar elements to The Longest Journey.

First released in 2000, The Longest Journey mixed sci-fi and fantasy elements with the main character, April Ryan, moving in between the real world and a fantasy world.

1. absolutezero

I would destroy Worlds for third Longest Journey. Although April will not be appearing.

2. darksied

This is all I really want from Funcom. The first one was in my favorite 10 games of all time, the 2nd one was alright, but I really just want them to finish the story.

3. DSB

If only Funcom would stop kidding themselves that they can actually follow up on Anarchy Online.

It was great way back when, but this is the WoW age. It’s a bit like bringing a Ford T that you won a rally with back in 1912 to a Formula 1 race.

4. Ge0force

I enjoyed the first game, but the 2nd was rather disappointing for me.

5. Old MacDonald

3: I agree. But they seem so utterly convinced that the MMO-route is the way to go that I doubt we’ll ever see any good games from them again. It’s very sad.