Rumour: Mortal Kombat to employ online pass system

Wednesday, 30th March 2011 04:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An email purportedly received from Warner Bros. has revealed the publisher may jump on the online pass bandwagon – but isn’t advertising the fact.

Joystiq got its hands on an email which appears to be a communication from the publisher to retailers.

The email details an online pass code included as an insert with new copies of the game, which will cost around $10 if purchased separately.

Players with a second-hand copy and therefore without a code will apparently get a free two day trial on online multiplayer before being asked to pony up 800 MS Points or $9.99 on Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network respectively.

Joystiq reports the email goes on to explain that the online pass won’t be featured on the game’s packaging or advertising materials, and that both F.E.A.R. 3 and Batman: Arkham City will sport a similar pass system.

In the single-player only Arkham City’s case, the pass is thought to give access to premium content of some description.

We’ve asked Warner Bros. for comment. EA and THQ each employ online pass systems for major releases.

Mortal Kombat releases in mid April for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. tmac2011

no pass code, it’s stupid….

2. Phoenixblight

Arkham City? There is no MP so whats the point access the leaderboards assuming it will have the same thing as the original?

3. Ireland Michael

Oh Jesus fucking christ. This whole online pass thing is becoming beyond a joke.

If this is true for Mortal Kombat, they’ve lost themselves at least one sale. Especially if they’re going to be so shitty as to not even state the requirement of the pass for online play. That’s just pissing all over the customer.

I seriously hope this rumour turns out to be false.

4. neon6

Would you rather your dollars go to Gamestop or to the developers? Everyone always saying how the latter gets nothing from used game sales.

5. McLovin85

I don’t understand the problem with online passes…
    If you’re willing to wait long enough to get the game second hand why not just wait that little bit longer for it to be discounted to like £20 on Play or Amazon and just buy it first hand? You’d still get all the pass codes etc with your purchase within that £20 unlike with a second hand purchase.
    I think it’s a good system unless I’m missing something really obvious…?

6. The_Red

For a normal publisher, buying the game second hand or pirating it or not getting it at all ARE THE SAME thing. They don’t get any money out of either of them so of course they’ll try to find ways to change that. Also, PLEASE, no stupid car analogies.

@3 Were you planning to buy the game new or second hand?

-If your choice was new then this won’t make any difference since you get both online and other stuff for 60 bucks you paid for.

-If you wanted to get it used then whether you have changed your mind about getting it or not won’t matter to the publisher because not a single dime out of the money you’d have paid for 2nd hand game was going to the publisher / dev anyway.

7. Ireland Michael

I always support companies by buying new as often as I can.

My problem here isn’t with that. It was done well at the beginning with E.A. when the buy new offerings were great. This? This is just greed.

Taking the online mode out of a fighting game and putting it behind a redeem code is like the opponent cars out of a driving game and putting those behind a code. It’s fundemenal to the goddamn genre.

This is no different to the whole “putting the content on this disc and downloading an unlock code” that everyone whinges about. If they were offering future DLC characters, I would totally understand it. Christ, Bad Company 2 gave first hand buyers FOUR new maps for FREE months after the game’s release. THAT is what you call support.

My biggest beef with this is the claim that it won’t be advertised anywhere on the box? Surely that falls under laws against false advertising?!

8. Criterion

does that mean if i want to buy the game with no internet access i will get with the price minus 10$?
    this is dumb

9. theevilaires

This is fucking retarded. First we get DLC the crap out of this gen with devs not doing their best to put as much content on the disc as possible (or in capcom’s situation content already on the disc that needs a DLC unlock key) but they have to try and nickel and dime people for online play now.

Just don’t support the game at full price guys thats what I’m doing from now on. I’ll wait until the game is half priced now if it comes with these silly passes. Fuck this industry its becoming like the movie theater industry where they don’t want you to bring out side food into the theaters but want you to buy their popcorn for $35 (small size). Boon if this is true you can take the rest of your monkeys and go fuck yourselves.

This is all M$ fault anyway.

10. FredEffinChopin

This is getting disgusting already.

11. Lloytron

I don’t object to the online pass thing – as long as it is made clear on the packaging.

If I pick up a game second hand that needs the pass, and I know about it, then cool. I’ll either buy the pass or not, my choice. But if I buy a game that I assume has online functions, which is probably marked on the box, and only find out that I have to buy the pass afterwards, then that’s not right.

I agree with #9, especially about the movies.

I took my son to see a 3D movie recently. I had to pay extra because it was in 3D. Fine. I had to then pay even more to get the glasses, which I had to give back. WTF is that about?!