Microsoft: More Fable, Halo, Gears, Forza on the way, surprises due at E3

Tuesday, 22nd March 2011 20:45 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Bet you didn’t see this coming – Microsoft is to make more Fable, more Halo, more Forza and more Gears of War.

Microsoft’s senior director of PC and mobile gaming, Kevin Unangst, has told Gamasutra that we’ll see more of Microsoft’s key properties in the future.

“You’re going to see us do more with Forza, with Halo, with Fable; all the franchises,” he told the site when asked about if they’d be expanding the universes of titles like Halo further.

It’s not all about those IPs, though. “As a first-party studio, our job is also to experiment, also to lead the way, set the example… things like the integration between Kinect and the phone.”

When pressed by Gama on Microsoft’s so far lacking 2011 line-up and the lack of games other than Forza 4 and Gears of War 3 for this fall, Unangst was clear that there is more waiting in the wings.

“This is not the sum total. Although I love what we’re doing… there’s games that we’ve already even talked about coming this year. Games like Forza 4, games like Kinect Star Wars that we’re not yet talking about. That, and some other surprises I’m sure you’ll see and hear from us at E3 about.”

So there you have it, folks. Surprises at E3 and more Halo. The sun will also rise tomorrow. Check out the full interview over at Gamasutra.

1. Erthazus

So whats been announced so far from Microsoft?

Gears Of war 3
    Forza 4
    Star Wars crappy kinect game
    Codename: Kingdoms from CRYTEK
    Some 2 games from JP developers with Steel Battalion
    Rumored some Gears Of War kinect game
    Rumored crappy Halo HD title (on the Halo:Reach engine)

and thats…. probably it?

2. Nozz

Microsoft seriously need to pull their socks up for E3 and beyond, I wanted to buy a 360 this year for Gears 3 and maybe some other good games but the lineup is pretty bad so far.

Kinect just isn’t my thing either.. Which is why I don’t expect much from these “suprises”.

3. bluffbluff03

@ 1. Yeah, thats the problem right, but the news says that there WILL BE more games … get it? Edit: the rumored Gears of War Titel have already been denied ;-)
    I´m more interested in the new game by playdead, you know, the guys made LIMBO which was also a 360-exclusive.

4. LOLshock94

one problem fable END THAT FUCKING FRANCHISE ITS SHIT. more gears, forza and halo is very good keep it up MS

@1 STFU you fucking no life

5. bluffbluff03

@ #2 If you have no 360…whats about Splinter Cell, Fable, Alan Wake…all the other games you missed ;-)

6. lexph3re

Hm what will ms be showing off I wonder?

7. Nozz

@5 Very true. Only problem is although its great going back through some awesome exclusives, I get the feeling that there isn’t going to be much to look forward to.

I Guess I’ll decide after E3.

8. Erthazus

“whats about Splinter Cell, Fable, Alan Wake…all the other games you missed ”

All of them are mediocre at best.

@Nozz, i’m still buying one this year. I want Gears Of war 3 and Codename:Kingdoms.
    Forza 4 i will try. You should see the E3, maybe they will have something better.

I do agree that kinect is… mehh…

9. Dark

Of course they are, it’s all they’ve got.

10. bluffbluff03

@ 7 Yes, thats right.
    “whats about Splinter Cell, Fable, Alan Wake…all the other games you missed ”

All of them are mediocre at best”

Wrong! You might think so, but that does not mean that they ARE mediocre. I mean with SC or Alan wake I had more fun than with uncharted or Castlevania…Conviction is really impressive and Alan Wake is very special…I know…but if you are able to understand the sense behind the story and the different allusions…
    The other way around I cannot understand the fascination of Heavy Rain…it bored me . Everyone think different…but no one thinks wrong.

11. mathare92

Oh look, a new writer! Welcome Alex Donaldson…

TO HELL.

:P

12. Erthazus

“but if you are able to understand the sense behind the story and the different allusions…”

the story in Alan Wake was the only decent thing there, everything else OK at best. Also, great atmosphere, but everything else is just… Not good.

Splinter Cell:C is also dumbed down version of crappy stealth action game.
    splinter Cell 1,2,3 were brilliant. After that Ubi didn’t made something fantastic in the franchise. Maybe they will do something fantastic in the future, who knows… but thats just my opinion.

13. Suikoden Fan

well forza 3 bored me, halo is ok but overated, i havent played fable 3 yet but i’ve heard whats been said so what microsoft has said here has exactly made me interested

14. Gekidami

Open your wallet. Take a coin out for everytime MS has said they had something good to announce/ a surprise/something that will make fans happy. Put a coin on the table for everytime they actually delivered, otherwise put it back in.

You wallet isnt getting any lighter…

15. monu-mental

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at Microsoft for their ever-growing lackluster status.

16. bluffbluff03

@ 12

Yeah, okay, some were happy about sam getting more action-based and some wants there stealth back…i think with this step SC lost many fans but also got some new one…..but i have never understood why there was no PS3-Version….i read a statement of a ubi-developper that says the PS3-conrtoller was too unwieldy…I mean he is right, but that cant be the reason :-D

17. Nozz

@14 which is precisely what my concerns are!

All of this is corporate hype and i’m sure Microsoft and Sony have been saying the same thing every year.

also @10 I can link to an article too – http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/05/microsoft-plans-to-maintain-core-focus-alongside-natal-release/

hmmmm!

18. bluffbluff03

Yeah, did nor really understand the link to the article…but maybe a different point. I bought my 360 after my PS3….the reason was no Gears or no Halo…but the stunning OnlineService. Of courseone need to pay but the supporting was (maybe still is) much better. Most of my favourite games are multiplatforms. Why the worries about exklusives?

19. Nozz

@18 The link was put there for irony purposes.

“Why the worries about exklusives?”

Because I have a ps3 with more or less all the multi-platform releases on it. I actually used to have a 360 and am a big fan of Gears, what I was trying to say is that although I planned to buy another 360 for gears 3 and have no interest for Kinect, I dont know if it would be worth getting one with what the currently known lineup of games coming out for it.

E3 will reveal all!

EDIT: I do like Xbox Live and its features but tbh i wouldn’t go out and buy a console for that reason alone.

20. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Same old same old…..starting to sound like Nintendo…

Presently, Gears 3 is the ONLY 360 exclusive I’m interested in.

21. OrbitMonkey

The Locust invade Albion! It’s up to a young man called Chief to pit his driving skills on the race-tracks of this fair land to defeat the menace! *Kinnect support available*

22. Robster1979

Sony announce games a long time before release.
    Microsoft don’t.
    Its nothing new and is no reflection on the quanitiy and quality of titles coming in the future.
    Some you know about, some you do’t.

(Can the bickering now end)

23. Kuwabara

was so obvious. Microsoft suck when it comes to exclusives. All they can bring is the same games and milking the franchises.

24. triggerhappy686

New Alan Wake is what I really want but im not sure its ever going to happen. Poor Remedy, sending it out along side Red Dead was a huge mistake.

25. theevilaires

I hope you still got that bookmark Gherrit White ;)

26. Gekidami

That isnt actually true. Most of the games Sony have/are releasing this year were only announced last year. MS on the other hand seems to have massive amounts of time between announcements and releases. I mean, they didnt announce much last year for this year, but what they did announce (Forza 4, Kingdom) dont even have release dates that i’m aware of.

Sony have announced games long before they come out, but its not something they do all the time. It seems pretty clear the MS announce games when they have games to announce. Otherwise, they got nothin’.

27. Ge0force

So we can expect Fable Kinect, Halo Kinect and Forza Kinect on E3 2011? :)

28. Shonak

@10: I completely agree with you. Although I didn’t like Conviction that much, it was a fun experience and kinda cool to let Sam move through the level like a Predator, not like a human. More or less.
    And well, yeah. Alan Wake was my GOTY 2010, it’s superb. But maybe I am just a Remedy Fanboy, dunno know.

I sincerely wish that Microsoft announces at least 2-3 original titles this year at E3 for 2011/2012. Can’t wait for the Codename: Kingdoms Trailer too, if they show anything at all. I will probably be disappointed at the E3 again this year, but of course I will watch it – together with constant facepalming because of well… the whole embarrasement of those on stage.

29. bluffbluff03

@ 19 Ah, okay, got it :-) I can understand your opinion but i dont realley share….I was not that much interested in exclusive games…mor about the technical and others innovations the consle offers. But I can really understand you.

@ 28 Nice to hear someone is thinking similar ;-) And I can tell you: You are not a remedy fanboy .. you are just a gamer with good taste :-D

30. IL DUCE

@1 Pretty sure there’s still 2 more months before E3 so the point of “surprises” is that we don’t know about the games yet (Halo 4? Fable 4 or a spin off?), we may know the majority of them but they will surprise us with something else…Not to mention first party games are becoming a thing of the past since most companies want to maximize their profit not limit it to one system, so it’s not like MS needs all these first party games because every multi-platform game sells more copies on the 360 over the PS3 for the most part (RDR, Call of Duty, etc.)…you know I thought I was a negative person dude but you are the most negative person on this site, pretty much exactly who Josh Olin was talking about…go back and cuddle with your PS3 cuz you’re obviously a troll PS3 fanboy…