Catherine western localisation confirmed for summer

Tuesday, 1st March 2011 08:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Following heavy rumour, Atlus has confirmed it’s localising Catherine for a western release.

The release was confirmed on the game’s website. It’s shipping this summer.

US retailer GameStop had pegged a July 26 release in a listing on its website before it was pulled.

The game was rumoured for a western announcement yesterday. Atlus will publish the game in the US, but it hasn’t been confirmed who will be the publisher for Europe.

You may want to take a pick on one of these four, though: Tecmo Koei, Square Enix, SouthPeak and Rising Star Games.

Catherine is a surreal adventure based on pants, horns and devil sheep.

1. Blerk

I’m sure this announcement will make a lot of people who won’t actually go out and buy the game pretend to be happy.

2. Blerk

Actually that might’ve been a bit cynical even for me. :-D

3. NeoSquall

Atlus, you little teasing pricks.

4. Rudderless

Or it might not come to Europe at all, like plenty of other Atlus games. I’d be astonished if Square-Enix published it over here, with Rising Star perhaps being the most likely candidates for an EU release.

5. Suikoden Fan

it wont be southpeak they have been effectively kicked out of europe on the publishing side side topware no longer use them and goos riddance, i see it being a rising star game

6. Herlock

I dont understand why Atlus dont make an announcement, when the game is out in Japan or before, always waiting for hype!
    I have the Asia version, and i dont buy it again, sorry Atlus US, its cool anyway for the others.

7. 2plus2equals5

@1: exactly like valkyria chronicles…

I dunno, how many people will buy the game? It’s a totally japanese game. Covers are embarassing, puzzle games on home console aren’t popular and it costs full price.
    I would have sold it on psn and xbl.

8. Rudderless

I’ve changed my mind about S-E, actually – forgot they published Persona 4, and the lead in this featured in P3P, so it’s perhaps not as unlikely as I initially suggested.

9. NeoSquall

@7 I have Valkyria Chronicles (the first, on PS3) and will buy Catherine if it comes to Europe (or import it if won’t), for PS3.

Why? Because I’m an adult that is able to purchase adult title without feeling embarassed and chastise those who will say anything about it for their bigotry.

If you’re a minor or just a retarded bigot then walk along, there’s nothing for you to see here.

10. Gurdil

Good news! :)
    I still don’t understand why they pretended it wouldn’t get a western release though… If it was really for the hype, don’t you think a week is too short a period? Just wondering.
    Anyway I’ll buy it as soon as it gets here (EU)!

11. 2plus2equals5

@9:
    Obviosly you are too good to understand what minor or just retarded bigot like me say lol
    1)I was not talking about me but in general, infact I LIKE CATHERINE, but you are too good to understand what minor or just retarded bigot like me say.
    2)Covers are embarassing and some people might not buy the game for that reason, but doesn’t mean that the game is embarrassing, but you are too good to understand what minor or just retarded bigot like me say.
    3)How may puzzle games do you see on shelves? How many copies sold? but you are too good to understand what minor or just retarded bigot like me say.
    Next time turn your brain on, read comments and TRY TO UNDERSTAND if you are capable of, then write…

12. Amir Hossein

God knows how much love I’ve put in the articles I’ve written for Catherine. Thank you Atlus.

13. NeoSquall

@10 They just teased us, for the lulz

@11 I honestly don’t find the covers embarassing, even for US bigots standards:
    - Do the covers show bare tits and/or ass? No.
    - Do the covers feature phallic allusions? Not the Xbox one, the PS3 one somewhat so, but it’s still so mild it will pass ESRB censorship.

And what does the whole “how many puzzle game on the shelves” argument mean?
    Catherine isn’t just a puzzle game, it’s a mixture of puzzle game, RPG and dating sim, where each genre serves its purpose in creating an overall intriguing experience with an interesting storyline.

If you insist on describing Catherine as a “puzzle game” then you don’t know the game and you can’t say you like it.

14. 2plus2equals5

@13: i think that the story is very intriguing and yes, there are dialogs and other little things, but the core of the game is the climbing of the cubes, but there aren’t rpg elemets. ;)
    At first everyone(except me lol) labelled catherine as a rpg only because atlus made a lot of rpgs, but as you can see from trailers and demo(i played it) catherine has nothing of that genre;)

15. Moonwalker1982

Still trying to see what’s so special about this. I’m all for unique stuff in games but the gameplay i’ve seen so far looks really…well…boring?

16. NeoSquall

Of course because nowadays RPGs are only made of numbers and stats, with no interpretation at all.

I bet Gary Gygax is revolting like a d20 in his tomb.

17. osric90

I’m going to make love to this game.