Test Drive Unlimited 2′s handling dissed by pro driver

Monday, 7th February 2011 02:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A professional driver in attendance at a Test Drive Unlimited 2 event at private racing track Pete’s Ridge, Australia, has commented that the game’s handling does not match reality.

With a nod and a wink, John Boston told Gamespot that Test Drive Unlimited is “very similar” to a “real car”, adding, “Of course, you have to say that.”

“I’ve been thrown into a couple of simulators over the time, but they’re still all very different to a car,” he said. “There’s no doubt about it. Just with the way they behave – especially with the steering side. You really can’t feel the weight distribution.”

A recent study suggested that gamers make more dangerous drivers than otherwise; when asked whether games prepare potential drivers for real world experiences, Boston commented that racing sims can be beneficial but in the end, the experiences are too different.

“I’ve found a lot of people that play games, they come and drive cars and they find it extremely different. [The hand-eye co-ordination] is a bonus, but it’s just the controls and everything are just a little bit different.

“One of the main things is just the sudden change of direction,” he explained. “like if you change the direction too suddenly in the game the car might slide, but normally it’s not sliding as much as what a real car would.

“People aren’t smooth enough when they get into a real life car.”

However, the driver did concede that racing sims are “certainly improving, every day.”

See the full interview below.

1. G1GAHURTZ

What happened to our TDU2 questions?

2. Brenna Hillier

Still in the works, don’t worry!

3. G1GAHURTZ

Cool! Thanks Brenna.

4. BraveArse

I actually got this from SimplyGames on the PS3 last week. Don’t ask me how they managed to sell it 2 weeks early but they did. Myself and a mate have it. It’s not favourable imo. I loved the first one. Can’t f**king stand this one. Graphics are worse imo, the story is horrifyingly bad with excruciating acting, I even hate me in the game.

The handling is bewilderingly horrible as well, it makes the analogue stick feel like a d-pad. I think it’s the steering return that’s doing it. It feels smooth enough on the way out, but as the steering returns to centre it stops suddenly and early rather than returning smoothly. It’s very jarring. I’m really trying to like it too, but I just can’t. They focussed far too much on avatars and clothes to make a decent driving game.

Your Mileage May Vary ( pardon the pun )though. But as a fan of the first one, I’ve come away terribly disappointed.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Which cars have you used, Brave?

6. Blerk

Ouch!

7. BraveArse

Well – I started with the Delta Integrale and I have some new fangled Alfa now. But the 6 tests at the start have you in different cars and they all suffer from the same steering issue. :( I’m in hardcore handling mode and I’ve tried every sensitivity setting I can see.

I forgot to mention the horrible, horrible “feature” of being unable to mute anyone who happens to be in your vicinity – cue obnoxious whistling, shouting, rapping, chewing, crap music in your ears no matter where you go. You can turn voice off but then can’t talk to friends. This is obviously something the 360 version won’t suffer from though. It may be that the PS3 version got the bum deal here, it was certainly only the PS3 version that was available early. My “get it early” response got tweaked far too easily.

8. BraveArse

Oh yeah – and they have one, terrible button layout with no, yes no, customisation options. That is the worst sin against gaming, imo.

9. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe you just need to do a bit of tweaking, brave.

Doesn’t seem too bad in this vid after he tweaked with things, although it is with a wheel.

10. G1GAHURTZ

11. KAP

I read what Brave said in his comment about fixed controls, then I saw the YouTube vid…. Do I or don’t I get this?

12. BraveArse

It’s probably worth reading the EG thread.

I’ve played with the setting fairly extensively and for the life of me can’t get the steering return to be smooth at all. The steering outie the first half of the turn before you straighten out is fine, but getting the car back straight afterwards is just a d-pad fest imo.

Like I say, YMMV, but if like me you’ve been waiting for this for a looong time ( and I know you have G1ga ;) ) just be ready to be disappointed. I truly hope you aren’t but I’m finding it very hard to like. I’ll try and give it another couple of hours before the official launch date, but I have to admit I’m having tof force myself to play it. And that’s never a good thing.

That said, my mate really likes it. But he liked Crash’n'burn on the original xbox and played GTR on the PC with the arrow keys…

13. BraveArse

Oh yeah – KAP it’s the button layout that’s fixed. You can change sensitivity but right now, you have only one ( back to front imo ) layout for gears etc. A layout so bad imo that I elected to play in automatic, which I never do if I have the choice.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Thanks for the heads up anyway, Brave.

I’m still looking forward to it loads. I guess I won’t know how I find the handling until I try if for myself…