“Never say never” on Shenmue III, says Sega boss

Tuesday, 2nd November 2010 11:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

shenmue

It just won’t die, will it?

Sega West boss Mike Hayes has told CVG that, as far as its concerned, Shenmue III is never off the table, saying “never say never” to the possibillty.

The thought of the much-dreamt sequel has been raised before, with Sega saying earlier this year that if S3 were to happen, it would be willing to trade an exclusivity deal on it for development funding.

It was discovered last night that Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki is behind the latest attempt to revive in the series with mobile and PC casual game Shenmue Town as its director.

The story of Shenmue Town is, according to Andriasang, a side story that takes place in Yokosuka, the main location of the original Shenmue.

There’s more info at the link above. It’s due out this winter for Japan only for social network Mobtagetown.

1. Johnny Cullen

*bangs head on the table so hard it maeks mii so stoopid*

2. Suikoden Fan

@jc what would you did if they actually made it?

3. Blerk

Complain that it was shit.

4. Johnny Cullen

@2 They won’t. Quote me on that.

5. Erthazus

If they are going to make SHENMUE III it will be a reboot for series 1 0 0 %

6. Freek

Final Fantasy 7 remake for PS3
    Halo Movie
    Shenmue 3

;)

7. locus2k1

Can I say forever instead?

8. Bringit

I think JC is jumping the gun. If Shenmue performed well on digital download, who knows what might happen…

9. Freek

They’ll make Shenmue Town 2 is what will happen.

10. OrbitMonkey

Willing to sign a exclusivity deal eh? I wonder which company with a habit of buying exclusives they aimed that at?

11. manamana

Sega releases another Sonic spinoff, than makes a “Shenmue” mobile version, makes two Sonic spinoffs, another mobile Shenmue Version, than decides to bring Shenmue 2 to PSN &XBL before they decide to say never because of the newgen consoles (2-3 years from now) and closes the book of possibilities for a sequel of one of the greatest games. Sega fuckedup like Capcom this gen. Two of my favorite developers last gen, screwed so much, I can hardly believe, that they are still in the same business.

Edit: well at least they brought my beloved Rez in HD, I must admit …