Guerrilla says Killzone 3 will have more variety than Killzone 2

Saturday, 2nd October 2010 21:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

killzone30

During a developer session at Eurogamer Expo 2010, Guerrilla Games’ Steven Ter Heide told attendees there were three main complaints gamers had with Killzone 2: variety, controller lag and story.

Variety

Speaking with Eurogamer after the session, Ter Heide told the site how the studio plans to address these complaints in Killzone 3.

“Variety is difficult to explain. What people commented on most in terms of variety was the environments themselves,” he said. “They said for the first half of the game you’re stuck in these urban environments. It felt like a corridor shooter. It didn’t feel open or varied. The end of the game had more variety, where you’re also in a desert and a spaceship. But the majority of people didn’t get that far. They only got the initial bit.

“Funnily enough, not a lot of people complete the game. That’s something you see for a lot of games. We track a lot of that data. With the Trophies and the telemetry we gather from the servers, we can see where people are dying a lot, where they’re tailing off and which points don’t work as well.

“We use that to counterbalance what people write on the forums. If they say, yeah, that’s the best thing ever, or it took me a long time to complete that, we can look at the average completion times. We can balance that out. There is a lot of vocal fanbase out there, who shout about a lot of things. But you have to objectively look at it as much as possible and see what is true.

“So, for us, variety was about introducing more variety in the environments. We’ll take you across the planet this time, from alien jungles to the icy plains you’ve just seen, into space, to nuclear wastelands, to the nuclear aftermath of the city. But at the same time the variety in the stuff you do from minute to minute was important. First and foremost it’s a game where your only interaction with the world is through a gun. So we want to make sure that there are different things you get to do and there are different ways you get to play it as well.”

Controller lag

As far as controller lag is concerned, Ter Heide said “it should not have been” in Killzone 2, and the reason for it was the studio became “used to the button configuration being a certain way” during the three-year development time. He also said the team “didn’t get enough objective data to get those kind of bugs out”.

“There are bugs and they should not have been there,” he said. “If you press a button stuff should happen on screen. It’s as simple as that.”

Story

With Killzone 3, the team is focusing more on the Helghast culture than before, showing things from their perspective and giving players a story that should explain why they are doing certain things throughout the gameplay.

“We’re doing a number of different things. What is the story to certain people? For certain people it’s the stuff you do and your objectives, that they make sense and you have context on why you’re doing certain things,” said Ter Heide. “That’s fairly simple to do. That’s not the overarching story. That’s more understanding why you’re there and what it is you need to do, and your body’s giving relevant feedback on the stuff you’re doing. That’s something we needed to address.

“A lot of people commented on the Helghast culture, and they want to know what their planet is like and what their life is like. So we’re focusing in Killzone 3 more on the Helghast side of things. There will be cut-scenes from the Helghast perspective. We’ll show you what’s happening in the world, why things are happening and what their plans are. You get more insight into what makes these enemies tick. That’s important.

“And as the dressing for the whole thing, we’ve taken cues from, we think, a couple of guys who did a good job with storytelling: the guys from Naughty Dog with Uncharted 2. We said, why did people pick up on that? What makes that storytelling so good? They don’t take themselves too seriously. You’re allowed to have fun.”

Killzone 3 launches on February 22 in the US. No Euro date yet, hopefully something will be revealed soon.

1. RETARDED VIKING

Hmm i never had controller lag.

2. Robo_1

They’re making the right noises at least.

I loved KZ2 so I’ll doubtless enjoy this too, but two years can be an eternity in the genre, and Guerilla will have to be at the top of the game to keep Killzone 3 as a AAA title.

3. AHA-Lambda

sounds like a good improvement

PS guys give us another kick ass villain brian cox and sean pertwee were the best parts of kz2! :)

4. Nozz

Interesting! I didn’t notice the controller lag at all.

Its good to know they didn’t blow their load on the 3D features too.

5. Gekidami

I thought the lag was noticable but i got over it pretty quickly. It was nothing to have a fit over, really.

I’m abit worried about their ‘many varied enviroments’. Theres nothing i hate more then a game that has you get into some helicopter of some sort at the end of each mission to have you jet off to some new location. Its why Resistance 2′s campaign failed to me (it also bothers me in Reach). Its hard to have decent pacing in a story when you want to cram as many different locations in as possible.

6. Erthazus

Ok, so they think that they had variety in spaceship and desert at the end?

Just LOL. Ok, so i don’t expect improvements at all. Problem was not in location variety. It was a problem to do something in these environments.

About story, i never saw any Killzone 3 trailer that shows that “story will be awesome”

Controller lag… I still don’t get it. Maybe i’m missing something, but for me everything was ok.

7. Psychotext

Needs co-op this time, badly. I’m not sure if I’ll get it if it doesn’t.

8. xxJPRACERxx

The reason I didn’t finish KZ2 was because of the controller lag. I’m mainly a PC gamer and I don’t like playing an FPS with a controller. Add to that the lag and it was very unresponsive.

It really felt like mouse smoothing in PC games, a kind of input buffering. I always turn that option off.

Glad KZ3 won’t have that problem.

9. YoungZer0

@6: Erm, why are you even looking for things like that in a fps?

And the reason why you haven’t seen a story trailer for Killzone 3 is because there is just one trailer out … Give it some time.

Troll.

@8: Yeah, i agree. As a PC gamer that lagging was incredible frustrating, and really put me off of the whole game.

10. Gekidami

It looks like it will have campaign coop. It hasnt really been officially announced but in some of the demoes they’ve shown when they paused the game people noticed an invite option. And on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon Herman Hulst whilst showing the campaign let slip: “You can also play this game in multiplayer with friends”.

11. ybfelix

Or maybe allow carry more than one weapon at a time(excluding the un-discardable pistol), that’s variety

12. DrDamn

I think they already confirmed two weapons can be carried in addition to the pistol.

13. Gekidami

^ They did.

14. Erthazus

@9 “Erm, why are you even looking for things like that in a fps?”

because they are important in singleplayer campaign.

“Troll.”

Retard.

@xxJPRACERxx, can you show me youtube video with lag thingy? I really, really can’t understand what pull off people out of killzone franchise. I’m a huge PC gamer and i never noticed something THAT big of an issue with Lag.

15. Lord Gremlin

Remember Killzone 1 on PS2? Back then they had misty swamps, sandy beaches, snowy military base, a space station and hell, a lot of places. Truth be told, although Killzone 2 looks gorgeous in every other aspect it had less stuff than original Killzone. Gosh, they removed Luger and Hakha but kept Rico. And Rico was a bloody moron whom you wanted to kill even in the first game. I think he’s even worse in Killzone 2 (maybe because there is no Luger around to shut his fat fucking mouth). Just kill him already, Guerilla.
    I hope they’ll make Killzone 3 as diverse as Killzone 1. Oh, and I want Helghast rifle-shotgun hybrid back, never understood why they removed the thing from Killzone 2.

16. Psychotext

“And Rico was a bloody moron whom you wanted to kill even in the first game.”

What do you mean “wanted”?

/starts level
    /shoots Rico in back of head
    /moves on

17. LOLshock94

it will no doubt be the same as killzone 2

18. OlderGamer

Alrighty this is an interesting twist.

First a few people here know that I used to use the handle Pracer. I actualy shared it with my son. But doing that was near tough because he got to be a hot head sometimes, typical teenager. So I changed it, told him if he wanted to make his own account he could. Now I go by OG, that is also why my PS3 handle is pracer we share the system, I bought half, him the other half.

Anyways I log on and see xxJPRACERxx.

I am a mostly PC gamer nowadays. This fella say he plays on PC. I am not the worlds biggest FPS fan, I own/hated KZ2(the controls were the biggest drawback imo) sounds like something this guy would have said.

I just wanted to take the time to piont out that I am NOT xxJPRACERxx. That is not an alt or anything. It is also not my son.

Carry on.

19. Gekidami

Its not me either.

20. DaMan

@15 that game was as generic as they come. seriously, a jungle level, a snowy one, a space station… the only good thing about it was the occasionally decent humor.

21. Lord Gremlin

@DaMan: Well, swamp level was way too long, but other than that the game was pretty good.

22. Gekidami

Heres a video of the EG expo demo:

And a Q&A segment:
    Some laughs there when a guy asks if the game will come out on 360.

Same old really, it looks like a newer build because now when the guy stabs a Helgest in the eyes the goggles seem to power off. He also talks about a new MP trailer but its not shown in the video and theres mention of Move options, sounds like you can choose your dead zone like in The Conduit.

23. YoungZer0

@14: So tell me then, what FPS features an environment where you could do more than shooting? Not many games like that, are there? It’s also not something you’d care about in a FPS. Maybe this is not your genre? Maybe gaming is not something for you at all?

24. Erthazus

“So tell me then, what FPS features an environment where you could do more than shooting?”

Half-life series, Duke Nukem 3D, Crysis 1, Halo series, NOLF series, Bioshock series, ARMA series, Operation Flashpoint series and many many more. I can continue if you want.

“Maybe this is not your genre? Maybe gaming is not something for you at all?”

Maybe you should do your homework?