Ninja Theory-developed Heavenly Sword 2? “Never say never”, says Antoniades

Tuesday, 10th August 2010 08:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavenly-sword

You may just get a Ninja Theory-made Heavenly Sword 2 after all. Don’t hold your breath too long, though.

“I’d never say never,” Ninja Theory boss Tameem Antoniades has told GI.

However:

“But we’ve kind of moved on now. Our focus is on Enslaved, and making that successful. If we build a franchise out of it there’s a lot of potential in the action-adventure space that surprisingly isn’t that common.”

Antoniades said the studio had pursued a Heavenly Sword sequel before doing Enslaved.

“We did actually want to do a sequel, and we did pursue that – but we’re not a first party studio, we’re a third party studio, and we knew that over the next few years we’ve got to be releasing multi-platform games,” he said.

“The game Heavenly Sword didn’t sell enough to have a confident sequel, so it would have put ourselves as a development studio in a very precarious situation.”

The PS3 title didn’t achieve enough sales to break even for the studio, according to previous comments.

NT’s currently developing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West for PS3 and 360 for an October 8 UK release.

1. Freek

It diden’t sell enough to do a sequal with Sony, they moved on to Enslaved, a multiplatform franchise.

That’s just a roundabout way of saying never.

2. Erthazus

@1 O’rly? 1 million copies sold at the start of the generation is BAD?

3. Freek

Acording to them (in this verry article), yes, that wasn’t enough.

4. Psychotext

Pass. Game was distinctly average, though it did do some interesting stuff with cutscenes.

5. Boris Fett

Combat mechanics were brilliant, but the rest of the game was utterly ruined by the god-awfully bad Sixaxis sections. Without them, it would have been a 9 out of 10.

6. Johnny Cullen

I loved the SIXAXIS bits. Well, the Kai stuff anyways.

I loved that. Absolutely loved that.

7. Boris Fett

@6 Then you must be the only one, because everyone else from what I’ve heard personally found them to be an almost uncontrollable mess.

Though the cannon bit was cool.

8. justiceblob

@7 I liked the Sixaxis bits too, but it was definately an aquired taste.

9. Nozz

I wouldn’t mind seeing a sequel. the Sixaxis bits weren’t that bad.

If they did make another one it would definitely have to be longer

10. dirigiblebill

I loved the characters (yes, even the wacky catgirl) and the performances/animations were top notch. Combat had its moments too. Would welcome a sequel.

11. theevilaires

Two words: Santa Monica

12. NiceFellow

I liked it and the SIXAXIS stuff, too. You just had to actually put in a bit of effort to get good at it.

The main issue I felt was that, while the characters, etc. worked fine and the world felt interesting the actual mission structure lacked both depth and variety.

I wouldn’t mind a sequel if they built further on what’s there and expanded the content out. As others have noted Santa Monica could no doubt produce a good sequel if Sony wanted – I believe Sony own the IP but I could be wrong.

13. ExclusivesMostly

I TURNED OFF the sixaxis motion controls and enjoyed the game thoroughly. I’d buy a sequel day one if they ever released one. Graphics were amazing. To this day it still looks better than a lot of games which proves that some developers are just inferior or lazy.

14. theevilaires

Why didn’t I think of that Exclusive :D the game was a button smasher at best. The story was great and voice acting and cutscenes were pre UC2 for sure but the game sucked because it was a button smasher.

15. Pavlovs_dog

I thought the SIXAXIS sections were excellent, in fact I think it’s still the best implementation of the feature. I really enjoyed HS and would love to see it get a sequel. Also, pls release the Nitin Sawhney soundtrack!